would you die or kill for your country? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Like most people, I loathe war. In such cases like the Vietnam War, if given a choice between fighting due to being drafted and moving (or more accurately, fleeing) to another developed country, I would move without hesitation. I refuse to fight in wars that serve to enforce a government's agenda and consider such wars to be immoral and unjustified. Part of the reason why I am so opposed to war is because most wars are fought for the sake of political agenda and the wars USA has fought in has generally been this way ever since World War II ended, meaning that I oppose the majority of wars being fought and as such, would not be willing to give up my life for such wars.

I would only fight in a war our of sheer necessity. If my country was facing an invasion by another country and my way of life was being threatened, I would then put my life on the line to defend said country. Likewise, if a war on a similarly catastrophic scale like World War II happened that threatened democracy globally and my way of life, I would also fight. However, these would be more based on my beliefs and principles and not because of the attachment towards the country.
I would be ready to die, even if I'd ratherstay alive for some more time, for some causes, between them there is the betterment of my country.
However, I have a deep respect for anyone's life, and for any reasons, causes, and with any justifications, I would fell allowed to kill.
Part of the reason why I am so opposed to war is because most wars are fought for the sake of political agenda and the wars USA has fought in has generally been this way ever since World War II ended

In fact, World War II was also fought for a political agenda. I happen to agree with that agenda, but to claim that the Allies were fighting to defeat Nazi Germany for entirely selfless reasons is just plain false.
I do not have a country and I would not die or much less kill for it. I respect those who do. It is an honorable way to die. I have never experienced the fervent nationalism or pride in one's people/religion that so many people have. I am distrustful of people in general and find most people to be rotten to the core.
nonesuch wrote:I have long thought America is a great place, but die for it? Come on, now. Some day there will be no USA. A thousand years, ten thousand, a million... earth into the sun. A biomass existed on such and such a planet between T and T'. The 'historical process' you gave your all for never existed. So why not experience one more sunrise and let the country go as it will? Also, I have heard up to haif the soldiers in Vietnam shot over the heads of the enemy. Remarkably, the same is thought true of battle-field soldiers of WW II. Where would you be on that?

I'm going to express a rather unpopular view, but its one that must be addressed. Very few things are worth dying for, and I mean very few. Your country, freedom, or even your liberty are not among them. There is a distinction between defending your country and defending your people though, and the military has to often forgotten its true goal. To provide safety and security to US citizens.
Neither. I wouldn't say it's likely that post-1945 Australia or the UK will be involved in a legitimate war of self-defense.
You forgot about the Falkland Islands, it has already happened.

Indeed. And what a repulsive outburst of imperialistic jingoism that led to....

It also led to Thatcher not being trounced in the 1983 General Election, which she should have been, if only because of her epic mismanagement of the British economy in her first term. Thank you, General Galtieri....
Decky wrote:You forgot about the Falkalnd Islands, it has already happened.

I didn't forget, just don't consider it a defensive war. Those islands aren't part of the UK.
Decky wrote:I would not defend her majesty from anyone, even the African hordes that redcarpet hates so much.

The only person that's expressed any 'hatred' between you and me is you. You're the one that talks about 'hordes'.
I'll just leave this here...

redcarpet wrote:There's a silly phenomenon nowadays in Western cities, including black teenage boys in suburban US areas, to prove their manhood, do a dare to impress friends, etc, by attacking lone individuals. Obviously not as bad as street gangs, but as we saw with the George Zimmerman case, the attacker can make a fatal
mistake by seeking confrontation. The "What are you looking at?" crowd.

Over the years, I have read a number of similar stories, sometimes posted on PoFo, where one side thought they would have fun running their mouths at assaulting unarmed men only to find that he was armed; like the group of blacks who decided to bully a white gentleman on the New York subway just for the fun of it. Turned out he was armed and shot them all. Whoops! More recently we saw the security camera footage of some young black boy deciding to pick a fight with a man in his sixties. Don’t remember the colour of the old guy, but the old guy beat the crap out of the young guy.

Pathetic, isn't it?
You've already admitted in that thread that you're only really railing against me because I'm a member of the UK Labour Party.
So I regard anyone non-white, etc, as inherently inferior. Be it with or without, a motivation of fear/anxiety, etc.

And where have I ever posted such a statement?

Never, here nor any other forum.

I recently provided a YouTube link to a Michael Savage show segment about illegal immigration in a thread about radio. Perhaps you should irrationally intervene in that thread to claim I agree with what he said 100% & the implications of what he said in his rhetorical questions.

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]