Change the world? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By jean
Hello everybody,

I'am curious if some of you have a moral code or are member of some project to improve the world.
By moral code, i mean more than respect the law and don't hurt other people.
By fuser
Change the world? You might have to change your Avatar first.

jean wrote:or are member of some project to improve the world.

Yes, yes. I am a member of Communist Party.
By jean
fuser wrote:Change the world? You might have to change your Avatar first.

Yes, yes. I am a member of Communist Party.

Only black and white portrait for the avatar? Ok it's a bit sad , i will change as soon as possible.

Edit: I change it, i guess it's ok now.
By JohnRawls
Define what you mean by changing the world, there is no organisation big enough to influence the whole World. The 2 big ones that come to mind are the UN and NATO, both of them are hated by a large chunk of this planet.
By jean
It's not necessary a big stuff or a political one.

For exemple a member here are an important contributor to wikipedia. I think it's a relevant contribution.
I'am a part of project to promote direct democracy in an international level (probably a lot of people will find it useless).
By Goldberk
Which kind of actions are taken by those organisation to improve the world?

We campaign for political change, for example we have been focusing on TTIP for a while now.
By JohnRawls
It's not necessary a big stuff or a political one.

Well some of the members here work or were elected in different structures or organisations. So this is a touchy subject here. Very rarely members in here come out of the closet becides the usual 'i am a member of the communist party or i support libertarianism'. This forum is anonymouse to a large degree, which allows people to discuss things without having strings attached.
By jean
JohnRawls wrote:
Well some of the members here work or were elected in different structures or organisations. So this is a touchy subject here. Very rarely members in here come out of the closet becides the usual 'i am a member of the communist party or i support libertarianism'. This forum is anonymouse to a large degree, which allows people to discuss things without having strings attached.

It means that those people have a different opinion than the organization they are coming from.
By jean
Varax wrote:So is this where I get to tell you about the advantages of technocracy? That is the purpose of this thread, to plug our favorite organizations, right?

In fact, I wasn't expecting political organization as communist or conservative party.

I was thinking more to benevolat, animation of sport federation, donation, restauration of art or historical stuff, cultural work.
Or some people way of life as i stop to drive a car to polluate less. I install some ecologic system in my house.
By Philby
jean wrote:In fact, I wasn't expecting political organization as communist or conservative party.

I was thinking more to benevolat, animation of sport federation, donation, restauration of art or historical stuff, cultural work.
Or some people way of life as i stop to drive a car to polluate less. I install some ecologic system in my house.

How are those things going to change the world?

You know, it can change your nearby world, but the people in (for instance) Syria say fuck you with your changes...
Goldberk wrote:Which part of the bible is the gospel of Christ, ad opposed to the apostles and other writers

There's no evidence that the named apostles of Jesus wrote the 4 gospels. Modern scholars say the gospels were written anonymously and later attributed to the names we now know them as. Extremely likely that none of the people who originally wrote the gospels were eye-witnesses to any of the events described.
By quetzalcoatl
Philby wrote:

You know, it can change your nearby world, but the people in (for instance) Syria say fuck you with your changes...

Then, am I not entitled to say fuck Syria, in return? No communists ever changed the world, they simply ignited a conflagration that ended up burning out in less than a century. What was left was a world just like it was before, only more so. Net result, zero.

Everything you do counts...in the only sense that "counting" matters. Everything you do changes the world. You will make somebody's life a living hell, or relieve their pain. Even the smallest action will contribute in some small way to the totality of good or ill. You are making the world a better or worse place every day, whether you live in Aleppo or Abilene. You don't like who owns the means of production, then don't buy their products. You can get by on surprisingly little.
By jean
Philby wrote:

A journey of ten thousands miles start by a simple step.

Sorry if it's not the exact quotation.
By fuser
Yeah, then you take a fucking plane.

My flight is called Communist Party of India (Marxist).

He did not occupy czechoslovakia. The people ther[…]

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]