Taking a rational look at changes in Lhasa - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Tsewang Yonten still remembers in his childhood he had to put some little stones in his pocket when he went out in order to frighten off the wild dogs on the street.

"Lhasa was disorderly and dirty. There are many wild dogs on the street, sometimes they attacked people," said the 38-year-old man. "It was dangerous."

Over the past two decades, Lhasa has undergone dramatic changes both in the urban landscape and the living condition of the people, which is quite different a picture from Tsewang Yonten's memory.

Tsewang Yonten was born in a very influential aristocratic family in Lhasa. After he graduated from the Beijing International Studies University in 1996, he lived in Beijing and started a cultural company there.

"Lhasa is so clean that it will surprise you. I've been visiting many cities at home and abroad, and I have to say that Lhasa is one of the cleanest cities," said Tsewang.

He said ecologically the natural environment in Lhasa might be a bit better than it is now because people can see natural ditches, forests, unpaved roads, etc. But from the point of dwelling, it is not safe.

"The city was not in a good order at that time. People got muddy in rainy days and came up with dust in windy days. The kid didn't dare to go out at night because they were few people on the street."

Over the previous years, the government has been invested heavily to improve the living environment in Lhasa.

Tsewang is aware of the online dispute over the reconstruction of the old urban areas in Lhasa early this year.

"I do think it is quite necessary. I was growing up in the old town area. There were many potential safety hazards and the hygienic condition was bad, which directly threats the health and safety of the dwellers."

Tsewang said the old town area was much more regulated and safer now. The electric wires crosses the Jokhang Temple which were hidden dangers were put under the ground and the drains were cleared out. The relics are kept away from the hidden dangers of water and fire.

The project in the old urban areas of Lhasa is a conservation project with the purpose of protecting and renovating the ancient architectures. Some new buildings will be demolished to better protect the old neighborhoods.

Tsewang pointed out that the best way to protect and develop the tradition is to advance with the times. People should see the changes in Lhasa as well as in other prefectures of Tibet in a more objective and sensible way.

"No change, no progress. However, the changes should be not carried out on the basis of destroying the tradition and the environment. And I think the government is doing a good job in it."

What Second Thought talks about are the goals of t[…]

Yes, it is as if colonialism, racism, and capitali[…]

China for sure has their eye on Taiwan. But after[…]