General Giap dies at age 102 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Notices of a deaths of public figures or other significant or interesting people.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-paci ... 41191.html

General Vo Nguyen Giap, architect of Vietnam's military victories over France and the United States, has died, family members and government officials said. Giap, 102, died on Friday evening in a military hospital in the capital of Hanoi where he had spent close to four years growing weaker and suffering from long illnesses. The son of a peasant scholar, he was considered the mastermind of the defeat of France in 1954 at Dien Bien Phu and the communist victory over US-backed South Vietnam two decades later. In a 2004 interview, Giap preached peace and said Vietnam's independence wars were a "victory for colonised countries all over the world". Born on August 25, 1911, in central Vietnam, Giap became a close friend of the late president, Ho Chi Minh, and was held in high regard alongside the former prime minister, Pham Van Dong.

Gutsy general

The so-called ''red Napoleon'' stood out as the leader of rebels who wore sandals made of car tires and lugged their artillery piece by piece over mountains to encircle and crush French forces at Dien Bien Phu in 1954. The unlikely victory, which is still studied at military schools, led to Vietnam's independence and hastened the collapse of colonialism across Indochina and beyond. Giap went on to defeat the US-backed South Vietnam government in April 1975, reuniting a country that had been split into Communist and non-Communist states. He regularly accepted heavy combat losses to achieve his goals. "No other wars for national liberation were as fierce or caused as many losses as this war," Giap said in 2005. Giap's nemesis, the late US General William Westmoreland, said he was effective partly because he was willing to suffer such losses in pursuit of victory. "Any American commander who took the same vast losses as General Giap would have been sacked overnight," Westmoreland said in Stanley Karnow's 1983 book, Vietnam: A History More than a million of Giap's troops died in what is known in Vietnam as the “American War". "We had to use the small against the big; backward weapons to defeat modern weapons," Giap said. "At the end, it was the human factor that determined the victory."

Shrinking influence

Giap is known to have opposed several important military decisions, including the costly move in 1968 to delay the withdrawal of forces from unsustainable positions in South Vietnam during the Tet Offensive. In 1975 he held back again on a decision by Hanoi to commit all its forces - leaving the capital unprotected - to the Spring campaign which climaxed in late April with the fall of Saigon, now called Ho Chi Minh City. Later, he opposed Hanoi's decision to maintain an occupying force in Cambodia following Vietnam's late-1978 invasion. This, coupled with long-harboured resentment by some members of the establishment towards him, is said to have contributed to his declining political influence after the war years.
I heard this earlier. I'm not entirely surprised because he was getting on in years.

I want to say something more later on when I return to the computer, but I will say this - Anyone born after the fact who allows national prejudices to disregard his worth and feats as a commander is just damn ignorant.
General Giap should be credited with the Vietnamese victory at Dien Bien Phu in 1953, which spelled the end of French colonial rule across the globe. France was too keen on maintaining its empire or mission civilisatrice and they fought costly wars in vain to re-establish French rule in Asia and Africa after the end of the Second World War. Giap also fought tenaciously during the Vietnam War with significant Chinese military support mainly consisted of guns and artillery pieces and the French-educated military strategist made the best of the situation to bring about a stalemate. The US was never defeated militarily in Vietnam but the growing antiwar movement in Washington made the continuation of the war politically untenable, forcing the Nixon administration to seek a negotiated solution.
oppose_obama wrote:Its surprising this war criminal lived to 102 and the countless amount of people he killed probably never saw their 21st birthday.

Huh? Henry Kissinger isn't 102 and didn't die yet.

Anyway RIP to General Giap, his abilities were quite important in combating Western imperialism.
The preeminent anti-Maoist Maoist.

Even as he hated the man who he plagarized, Vo nevertheless used Mao's ideas very well. He was indeed a worthy opponent.
And as the VietCong copied Red China in revolution, so they also copied them in sliding back to capitalism.
R.I.P.

ThirdTerm wrote:The US was never defeated militarily in Vietnam but the growing antiwar movement in Washington made the continuation of the war politically untenable, forcing the Nixon administration to seek a negotiated solution.

Oh, Please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khe_Sanh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Triangle_(Vietnam)

And their are many other victories too that can't be fitted under conventional warfare.

Not to maintain failure of "Rolling Thunder", the major American air offensive.

antiwar movement in USA didn't grew in vacuum, but only because of continued Vietnamese resistance.

I just read a few satires by Juvenal, and I still[…]

@Potemkin nails it. You're a smart dude, Potemk[…]

It seems from this quote that you are itching to […]

Everyone knows the answer to this question. The […]