DeLorean to go back into production - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

DeLorean car gets future back
Associated Press
August 21, 2007
HUMBLE, Texas

In a nondescript warehouse in East Texas, mechanic and entrepreneur Stephen Wynne is bringing a rare sports car back to life. If he succeeds, he almost certainly has Michael J. Fox to thank.

A quarter century after DeLorean Motor Co. began making its glitzy, $25,000 two-seater - an operation that collapsed after two years - Wynne's small automotive outfit plans to bring the vehicle back into limited production at a 40,000-square-foot factory in this Houston suburb.

The creation of renowned automotive engineer John DeLorean, the automaker eventually made fewer than 9,000 cars, distinctive for their gull-wing doors, stainless-steel exterior and rear-engine design. An estimated 6,500 remain on the road.

rest of article
By QatzelOk
Those cars of his sure were amazing.

Too bad no one bought them, and that he went bankrupt.
By MB.
Sick!
By Vivisekt
I might have to get one of these bad boys.
By MB.
I'd buy one.
By Mikolaj
Maybe if it came with a promotional vial of cocaine or something.
By MB.
Flux Capacitor mb?
By Adrien
I don't think it'll come standard.

:)

Each of these jewels will cost 57,000 $USD so.. won't be for everyone! Since they will be handcrafted though, it's probably a decent price.
By Aught Six
Wonderful...I'll bet Christopher Lloyd's handlers are preparing to take him out of storage as we speak.
By QatzelOk
Since they will be handcrafted though...

Handcrafted means "too small a production for mechanical robots."
By Adrien
Yes, the small number they intend to sell wouldn't pay back the investment necessary to build a plant (it's what caused DeLorean's demise the first time). Also, since they will come with gullwings and French engines (like the original one, although there might be another engine also available) means that it'll be safer to carefully build them by hand, to avoid problems of reliability.
By Thunderhawk
:D

Pitty about the price, but atleat it will be quality.

I wonder if they will keep the gul wing concept and build extras, or go with otional others - Im a fan of suicide doors.
By QatzelOk
Gull-winged aluminium "sports" cars are the future.

After the ice caps melt, they're the only ones that won't rust, and it is safer to escape from a gull-winged car when the driver suddenly finds himself underwater.
By Thunderhawk
aluminium can rust actually, but its generally a protective rust formation - stemming further rust beneath it.

Gull wing doors are more dangerous to get out off in a flood situation, as you will have a large overhead object blocking your path to the surface.
By Adrien
aluminium can rust actually, but its generally a protective rust formation - stemming further rust beneath it.

Well, given that the original DMC-12's body was made of stainless steel, and given the horribly high cost of aluminium these days, I don't think the new DeLorean will be made of aluminium anyway.

Speaking of revived automobile glories, I discovered recently that the Avanti official nameplate still existed and produced a rather funky car based on the 'Stang.
By Blondie
My friend has one of those pieces of shit.

It has broken down on him 11 times.

:lol:
By Thunderhawk
Stainless steel:

1) Still rusts.

2) Often has rust forming in specific areas, rather then distributed through out, causing 'pitting' - weakening of the steel beam, yet sometimes hard to notice.

3) Stainless steel is alot weaker steel.

None-the-less I like the idea, and would get myself one if I had the cash (I am still looking for a car after all). I wonder if some one else will start (is?) producing stainless steel goodie cars (sports, utes, etc.. for the fun aspect) at reasonable prices. If the Delorean-like cars were mass produced today at reasonable prices (30k Canadian) and reasonable safe (American-safety minimum) Id get one.

...Most whites see in Trump the last Option to ke[…]

...this inanity... inane: empy of meaning or […]

What, exactly, are you accusing me of that is unc[…]

No surprises here, the democrats (including MSNBC)[…]