Richard Pearse - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Proctor
This is my tribute to Richard Pearse. A New Zealander, he was the first man to succeed in controlled powered flight, and almost two years before those wannabes the Wright brothers. But seeing as he wasn't the most social man, and everyone thought he was crazy, news of it didn't reach London until a couple of months afterwards.
By Adrien
And what about Clement Ader that everybody forgot?

:roll:
By Proctor
Clement Ader? Never heard of him. I assume he is another 'first man to achieve powered controlled flight', but didn't have a big enough ego to get famous for it.
By Necro99
What. The. Hell. Is. THAT???!
:evil:
By CasX
Ok, I only just noticed this.

An important point is that Richard Pearse was the first person in the world to fly.

Another important point is that though it was powered flight, it wasn't controlled flight.

Proctor wrote:he was the first man to succeed in controlled powered flight

Pearse himself said he never achieved "controlled" powered flight because he crashed.

Richard Pearse is one interesting character.

- he made his whole plane himself - down to every last nut and bolt!
- his plane was far more advanced than the Wright brothers', and resembled a modern plane much more.
- He died in a mental institution (in the 1940's I think), still obsessed with flight.
By Proctor
CasX wrote:Pearse himself said he never achieved "controlled" powered flight because he crashed.
*laughs to himself*

All humour aside, he might have crashed just be because he was a shitty pilot, rather than not being able to control it. Which is fair enough when your the first in the world! Ahem.
By Adrien
Bah, here also no one cares about Clement Ader. :)

If i remember well he didn't really fly, he and his machine made a 50 meters trip at 20 centimeters from the ground, that was in 1890 after search.

This guy is mostly important because he invented our word for plane (Avion). Apparently he also installed the first phone network in Paris, and invented an ancestor of the tire for the ancestors of bicycles.
By Proctor
Yeah, I've heard of him. I wondered why he wasn't famous.

Wow, maybe "all" jobs have gone to illeg[…]

Wrong. If anything, it's the sign of a mature, fu[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The arrogance of Volodymyr Zelensky is incredible.[…]

Are you having fun yet Potemkin? :lol: How coul[…]