Taxation in the UK - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

As either the transitional stage to communism or legitimate socio-economic ends in its own right.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By SpiderMonkey
I'm looking to write an article and I'm having trouble researching it, so I'm asking for a little help.

My aim is to dispell the myth that the rich pay more than their fair share of society. I intend to use 2 main points:

1) The rich take from society a great deal more than they give back, by using the market.

2) Despite progressive income taxation, all other taxes are non-progressive, and when you take those into account, along with living costs that are universal to everyone, progressive income tax doesn't seem nearly so unfair.

The second point is the one I'm have trouble with. In order to prove it I need a list of all the taxes that are charged in the UK, along with the various rates of income tax. I've had a look round some government websites but not found everything I need.

Anybody know of a good source for this kind of information?
By CasX
I don't know any good websites on this sorry.

SpiderMonkey wrote:Despite progressive income taxation, all other taxes are non-progressive

Many are even regressive. For example, GST (don't know if you have that? - Goods and Services Tax) and tax on petrol etc are regressive. This is because the poor will spend a greater % of their disposable income on general necessities that GST covers, and also things like petrol, where the amount purchased does not change very significantly with income, the poor will again pay a higher % of their disposable income in these taxes than the rich.

SpiderMonkey wrote:progressive income tax doesn't seem nearly so unfair.

Unfair? Unfair would be a flat tax rate - take the bread from the poor, while the rich only lose a few luxuries.

The claim isn't "unsupported", I've alre[…]

The whole college bubble is popping, and it's lef[…]

'State of panic' as Putin realises he cannot wi[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]