Baristas are not working class - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

As either the transitional stage to communism or legitimate socio-economic ends in its own right.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
fuser wrote:Your guy is a prole 'presently' but the moment he owns any "means of production" and start hiring laborers, he becomes a bourgeoisie.

In another thread I can't find to link to at the moment, TCR and Potemkin were talking in terms of class having a tribal identity to it. Clearly, no such tribal affiliations can exist if one's 'class' is determined by choice and circumstance.

My sister-in-law owns a small business, for example - making her petit bourgeois, but her income is less than her friend who works on the checkout at the local supermarket. Furthermore, as a farm worker's daughter, she regards herself as working class and her friend, a daughter of a solicitor, regards herself as middle class.

I find there are too many contradictions in Marxist class distinction. I do not own the means of production, so does that make me working class?
Every bloody time Carter? :lol:

Marxist class distinctions are pretty clear. However, what Potemkin and I would have been referring to was cultural class which, although it shares the word "class," is not the same thing. We can not get away from the fact that "class" has at least two meanings in Britain: cultural (or tribal) and Marxist socio-economic.

Of course, we could perhaps start referring to the Marxist definition as "flibberyjubb" and leave the other one as it is, or maybe we can trust people to be able to grasp the difference. ;)
I get the difference.

What I don't get is the socio-economic Marxist class definition. At the moment, I earn around £55K, but I do not own the means of production...so I'm working class (right?)

If, in two months time when I leave the RAF, I set myself up in business, selling 'widgets' or whatever, I'm suddenly petit bourgeois, right? Even though I might be working at a loss until the business gets on it's feet?

None of this would matter, of course, were it not for the fact that Marxism characterises the working class as 'the good guys' and everyone else as 'the bad guys'.

:roll:
A store owner who shares the values and morality of the bourgeoisie and aspires to be a bourgeoisie but doesn't own a significant means of production is a petite bourgeoisie. The same is applied to government employees, lawyers, accountants journalists managers etc. The proletariat is characterized by being oppressed by the bourgeoisie so waiters, cleaners store clerks and other lower ranking members of the service sector could be classified as proletariat. The service sector really took off after world war 2 and 19th Century class distinctions no longer apply to today's economy.
Travesty wrote:A store owner who shares the values and morality of the bourgeoisie and aspires to be a bourgeoisie but doesn't own a significant means of production is a petite bourgeoisie. The same is applied to government employees, lawyers, accountants journalists managers etc. The proletariat is characterized by being oppressed by the bourgeoisie so waiters, cleaners store clerks and other lower ranking members of the service sector could be classified as proletariat.

:hmm:

This is where I think the difference to which TCR alludes enters a grey area. I sense a certain tribal inferrence to this analysis, rather than a purely economic division. Phrases like, 'aspires to be a bourgeoisie...' and the more incendiary, 'The proletariat is characterized by being oppressed by the bourgeoisie,' are a bit of a giveaway and speak clearly of prejudicial tribalism.

What it seems to boil down to is that if you ain't a factory worker in a boiler-suit and boots you ain't shit, in a Marxist interpretation.
I sense a certain tribal inferrence to this analysis

Well its called class consciousness, and it is tribal in a sense.

What it seems to boil down to is that if you ain't a factory worker in a boiler-suit and boots you ain't shit

Well exactly. The assumption is that the differences between the bourgeoisie and those that share their values and morality and the proletariat are irreconcilable and can only be resolved through class warfare and revolution.
Last edited by Travesty on 05 Jan 2013 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
It's part of the human condition Carter. Discussing anything will have some degree of emotional content, whether it be politics, car repair, washing up or astronomy. You're conflating the personal emotional content that most people have when discussing Marx with the actual content of what they are discussing.
Travesty wrote:The assumption is that the differences between the bourgeoisie and those that share their values and morality and the proletariat are irreconcilable and can only be resolved through class warfare and revolution.

Indeed. This is the impediment that stops me in my tracks, no matter how far left any of the various political tests place me.

I simply do not and cannot accept that the proletariat - as per the Marxist definition - have any business being in control or in charge of anything. As my late father would have said, you don't leave the organ-grinding to the monkeys, or in more contemporary terms, you don't put the lunatics in charge of the asylum.

Given the context of the times in which Marx et al were writing, it's unsurprising that there would be a philosophical and ideological backlash against the dehumanisation of the workers, rendering them little more than cogs in a machine. That was pretty horrific and inhuman and needed to be stopped. Again, in the context of its time, perhaps the Russian revolution needed to happen, but the people who took the reins in the wake of said brutality were not boiler-suited and booted factory workers or, where they had been, they were clearly a cut above their erstwhile labouring colleagues.

Which brings us back to alternative definitions of class - beyond these ridiculous economic determinants.

Take the military. I can tell in a matter of minutes whether a soldier has the makings of an officer. Only a very few will make that particular grade. Transfer that analogy to society. How many of your boiler-suited and booted proletariat would make the grade in any kind of social leadership position? About the same proportion I would guess. But, in the Marxist analysis, you guys would still classify that small proportion who have the wit to do anything about it as still working class.

and what are these values and morality of the bourgeoisie...apart from complete bollocks? And why, by association, are the values and morality of the proletariat in any way superior?
Well you will have to address the above to Marxists. I agree that a lot of their assumptions and theories are correct. But then again they should not be let anywhere near governing mechanisms.
This is where I get to come in!
Cartertonian wrote:and what are these values and morality of the bourgeoisie...

At the moment, they are this:
British Employers' Resistance to 'Grandmotherly' Government, 1850-80, Social History, Vol. 9, No. 2 (May, 1984), pp. 141-142 wrote:To a great extent the mid-Victorian employers' counterattack against trade unionism and governmental interference has not been seriously examined. This failure to consider the employers' attitudes, policies and practices has often resulted in a partial view of industrial relations and politics. Recent research has recognized the important influence employers' organizations had in forging industrial relations, but their political activity has been ignored.

Although employers were not as unified during this period, there were sufficient similarities in their objectives to develop pressure group organizations for the protection of common industrial interests. The following study will therefore examine and evaluate the employers' involvement in the political sphere and, in particular, their first experiment with an inter-industry organization, the National Federation of Associated Employers of Labour. Since it was designed to act as the spokesman for British industry, the NFAEL may be regarded as a mirror of employer opinion. The reasons for its formation, tactics and the extent of its success reveal the complex position employers maintained in party politics and reform legislation.

The diversity of their economic background, regional disparities, varying industrial structures and individual social and political biases prevents any attempt to treat employers as a cohesive class. They were by no means unified in their ideological, industrial or political stance. Often their actions stemmed from pragmatic or economic considerations, and any inquiry into the policies and practices of industrialists must consider a wide range of social, economic and political determinants.

Despite their diverse cultural and economic superstructure, patterns in their relations, ideas and activity can be discerned. Social and political conditions were important factors in the moulding of a common entrepreneurial philosophy, but the predominant agent was the growth in size, complexity and formalization of industry which accompanied the introduction of the factory system. As the employers responded to the changing industrial environment, their methods of adjustment to new factory techniques were sufficiently similar to forge a managerial ideology. In this manner they were able to establish a collective approach to labour and other critics.

Prior to industrialization the 'theory of dependence' governed the relations between master and servant. In exchange for the provision of the workers' physical, social, moral and educational needs, masters could expect the subordination and loyalty of their employees. This acceptance of social responsibility legitimized the employers' authority and established a workable relationship within small workshops.

The growth of large, complex and structured factories conflicted with the personalized theory of dependence and was soon replaced by the concept of the 'independent worker', for whom the employer accepted no social responsibility. In this second stage, discipline rather than co-operation became the primary method of labour management. New techniques of compulsion and force were developed to enforce compliance with the demands of the factories. Collectively, these methods created an ideology which emphasized the workers' duties while flagrantly ignoring the employers' responsibility.

These precepts, however, became inadequate as the employers' attempts to retain unilateral control came under attack from government and trade union activity. To safeguard the hegemony of the employing class and to create a subordinate and efficient workforce, a new managerial ideology was formulated which legitimized the employers' authority by ascribing to them the role of economic and moral leadership over the working classes. This new concept was in sympathy with the mentality of the Victorian community, and therefore was complemented and further developed by the theories of social moralists and political economists.

The social value of capitalist enterprise was buttressed by numerous arguments which equated capitalism with prosperity. Samuel Smiles was perhaps the most effective propagandist for the employers' cause. His books, especially Self-Help, were important distributors of ideas which were in harmony with the capitalist vision of social order and progress. Smiles emphasized that the capitalists' success was based on self-denial, perseverance, thrift and hard work. Having established the relation between entrepreneurial initiative and prosperity, it naturally followed that possession of these qualities of business skill made the employer the natural leader of the working classes. Those who had achieved positions of authority could legitimately control employees on the grounds of moral superiority.

The optimistic appeal of self-help also settled the ideological conflict between the employer's authority and his denial of responsibility, by altering contemporary attitudes towards the workers' opportunities for personal success. The 'gospel of work' offered the workers a guide to self-improvement and concluded that the solution to working-class problems lay primarily with the workers themselves. The condition of the workers was, therefore, not dependent on the employer as in the traditional theory of dependence but completely reliant on their own efforts. In this manner, the social roles of the two parties were arranged: the middle class would establish self-help projects, while the workers would co-operate with and accept the bourgeoisie as their superiors.

This denial of social responsibility was further reinforced by the 'iron laws' of political economy, which evaluated labour as a factor of production to be used in a manner similar to any raw material.

And it goes on. Basically the workers got a few concessions later, when they decided to soften their tone a little around the time that the UK passed the Factory Laws to get children out of harms way and help adult employees to be safer in their jobs, but the core of the damaging behaviour and its accompanying ideology had already been implemented and retained, and no one ever succeeded at actually overturning it.

Why is that significant? Well, the relevant difference between back then and now, is that back then the haute-bourgeoisie were newly establishing their ideological hegemony by completely overthrowing the old social order, and now they are merely maintaining that hegemony. In order to maintain it, they have to convince petty-bourgeoisie people (such as you and myself, Carter), to endorse the very simplistic narratives put forward by people like Samuel Smiles.

The convincing that they do has to be done perpetually and on a generational basis, because the haute-bourgeoisie is well aware that the petty-bourgeoisie might stop co-operating at any time - which is to say to stop being social democrats - and become very 'scary' fascists instead.

To wit:
Leon Trotsky, 'The Only Road for Germany', Sep 1932 (emphasis added) wrote:Any serious analysis of the political situation must take as its point of departure the mutual relations among the three classes: the bourgeoisie, the petty bourgeoisie (including the peasantry), and the proletariat.

The economically powerful big bourgeoisie, in itself, represents an infintesimal minority of the nation. To enforce its domination, it must ensure a definite mutual relationship with the petty bourgeoisie and, through its mediation, with the proletariat.

To understand the dialectic of the relation among the three classes, we must differentiate three historical stages: [1.] at the dawn of capitalistic development, when the bourgeoisie required revolutionary methods to solve its tasks; [2.] in the period of bloom and maturity of the capitalist regime, when the bourgeoisie endowed its domination with orderly, pacific, conservative, democratic forms; [3.] finally, at the decline of capitalism, when the bourgeoisie is forced to resort to methods of civil war against proletariat to protect its right of exploitation.

The political programs characteristic of these three stages -- JACOBINISM [left wing of petty bourgeois forces in Great French Revolution; in most revolutionary phase, led by Robespierre], reformist DEMOCRACY (social democracy included), and FASCISM -- are basically programs of petty bourgeois currents. This fact alone, more than anything else, shows of what tremendous -- rather, of what decisive -- importance the self-determination of the petty bourgeois masses of the people is for the whole fate of bourgeois society.

Nevertheless, the relationship between the bourgeoisie and its basic social support, the petty bourgeoisie, does not at all rest upon reciprocal confidence and pacific collaboration. In its mass, the petty bourgeoisie is an exploited and disenfranchised class. It regards the [big] bourgeoisie with envy and often with hatred. The [big] bourgeoisie, on the other hand, while utilizing the support of the petty bourgeoisie, distrusts the latter, for it very correctly fears its tendency to break down the barriers set up for it from above.

While they were laying out and clearing the road for bourgeois development,the Jacobins engaged, at every step, in sharp clashes with the bourgeoisie. They served it in intransigent struggle against it. After they had culminated their limited historical role, the Jacobins fell, for the domination of capital was predeterminated.

For a whole series of stages, the bourgeoisie entrenched its power under the form of parliamentary democracy. Even then, not peacefully and not voluntarily. The [big] bourgeoisie was mortally afraid of universal suffrage. But in the last instance, it succeeded, with the aid of a combination of violent measures and concessions, of privations and reforms, in subordinating within the framework of formal democracy not only the petty bourgeoisie but in considerable measure also the proletariat, by means of the new petty bourgeoisie -- the labor aristocracy. [...]
I think we should change your username to 'tl;dr', Rei...

:lol:

I shall return to this thread in the morning. Substantive responses are difficult from iPhone.

;)
First, I want to again address the people that say the Marxism used to be an effective way to analyze society, but no longer is.

My last post, I thought, went some way to dispelling such an idea. The fact that we look at a class on-not how it exists at the present, how much money it makes, how it's presently regarded-but as its relation to the means of production should counter such notions. The working class, even if other conditions has changed, still does not own the means of production. The bourgeoisie still own the means of production, even if there have been variations. There are still small bourgeoisie that work to protect and maintain the means of production, there are still shop keepers that work as hard as the proletariat that still own a means of production; there are still gangsters and others that rob both the proletariat and others. These things haven't changed. The fact that we Marxists view classes in this way instead of a financial of even social figure should go some way in showing that the analysis still works even if certain conditions no longer are relevant. Lenin himself did some work in this while updating Marxist analysis to deal with imperialism and other factors Marx was not alive to see. Hence, again, the idea that analysis is important to the Marxist; while dreaming of future utopia that's already well planned is a pastime left to others.

Rei is mostly on target, I'll concede with a few minor scruples that are largely irrelevant at the moment; though for the Marxists it may be worth quoting Engels on a similar tangent (apologies for his outdated German language that was translated into English in an outdated way):

Engels wrote:The revival of trade, after the crisis of 1847, was the dawn of a new industrial epoch. The repeal of the Corn Laws and the financial reforms subsequent thereon gave to English industry and commerce all the elbow-room they had asked for. The discovery of the Californian and Australian gold-fields followed in rapid succession. The colonial markets developed at an increasing rate their capacity for absorbing English manufactured goods. In India millions of hand-weavers were finally crushed out by the Lancashire power-loom. China was more and more being opened up. Above all, the United States — then, commercially speaking, a mere colonial market, but by far the biggest of them all — underwent an economic development astounding even for that rapidly progressive country. And, finally, the new means of communication introduced at the close of the preceding period — railways and ocean steamers — were now worked out on an international scale; they realised actually what had hitherto existed only potentially, a world-market. This world-market, at first, was composed of a number of chiefly or entirely agricultural countries grouped around one manufacturing centre — England which consumed the greater part of their surplus raw produce, and supplied them in return with the greater part of their requirements in manufactured articles. No wonder England’s industrial progress was colossal and unparalleled, and such that the status of 1844 now appears to us as comparatively primitive and insignificant. And in proportion as this increase took place, in the same proportion did manufacturing industry become apparently moralised. The competition of manufacturer against manufacturer by means of petty thefts upon the workpeople did no longer pay. Trade had outgrown such low means of making money; they were not worth while practising for the manufacturing millionaire, and served merely to keep alive the competition of smaller traders, thankful to pick up a penny wherever they could. Thus the truck system was suppressed, the Ten Hours’ Bill was enacted, and a number of other secondary reforms introduced — much against the spirit of Free Trade and unbridled competition, but quite as much in favour of the giant-capitalist in his competition with his less favoured brother. Moreover, the larger the concern, and with it the number of hands, the greater the loss and inconvenience caused by every conflict between master and men; and thus a new spirit came over the masters, especially the large ones, which taught them to avoid unnecessary squabbles, to acquiesce in the existence and power of Trades’ Unions, and finally even to discover in strikes — at opportune times — a powerful means to serve their own ends. The largest manufacturers, formerly the leaders of the war against the working-class, were now the foremost to preach peace and harmony. And for a very good reason. The fact is that all these concessions to justice and philanthropy were nothing else but means to accelerate the concentration of capital in the hands of the few, for whom the niggardly extra extortions of former years had lost all importance and had become actual nuisances; and to crush all the quicker and all the safer their smaller competitors, who could not make both ends meet without such perquisites. Thus the development of production on the basis of the capitalistic system has of itself sufficed — at least in the leading industries, for in the more unimportant branches this is far from being the case — to do away with all those minor grievances which aggravated the workman’s fate during its earlier stages. And thus it renders more and more evident the great central fact that the cause of the miserable condition of the working-class is to be sought, not in these minor grievances, but in the capitalistic system itself. The wage-worker sells to the capitalist his labour-power for a certain daily sum. After a few hours’ work he has reproduced the value of that sum; but the substance of his contract is, that he has to work another series of hours to complete his working-day; and the value he produces during these additional hours of surplus labour is surplus value, which costs the capitalist nothing, but yet goes into his pocket. That is the basis of the system which tends more and more to split up civilised society into a few Rothschilds and Vanderbilts, the owners of all the means of production and subsistence, on the one hand, and an immense number of wage-workers, the owners of nothing but their labour-power, on the other. And that this result is caused, not by this or that secondary grievance, but by the system itself — this fact has been brought out in bold relief by the development of Capitalism in England since 1847.

The big difference is Engels looks at the material conditions like the way trade items moved, as well as the consolidation of the big bourgeoisie against the petite by use of leverage having to do with worker's demands—these being paramount as opposed to culture. Regardless, the narrative takes us to the same place with relatively little variation.

As Rei said, the haute-bourgeoisie were establishing ideological hegemony. They no longer need to make those changes.
This is not to limit the social importance of such changes. Marx himself speaks of this:

Marx wrote:Let us suppose the most favorable case: if productive capital grows, the demand for labour grows. It therefore increases the price of labour-power, wages.

A house may be large or small; as long as the neighboring houses are likewise small, it satisfies all social requirement for a residence. But let there arise next to the little house a palace, and the little house shrinks to a hut. The little house now makes it clear that its inmate has no social position at all to maintain, or but a very insignificant one; and however high it may shoot up in the course of civilization, if the neighboring palace rises in equal or even in greater measure, the occupant of the relatively little house will always find himself more uncomfortable, more dissatisfied, more cramped within his four walls.

The point being that the use of the Marxist analysis can remain the same even if the system itself is different. This is largely the point of Marxist analysis, and frankly, I think that a lot of opponents to such analysis wrongly apply their own utopian naivety to materialists and assume we all pray to sky gods, maintain our ideas have value over the observable world, and dance around the may-pole of ourselves.

We do not. We analyze, discuss, and measure. Mentioning that it's not the 19th Century to us is hardly a revelation. Nor was it when Marx and Engels were working.
This is an honest question, not intended as a "gotcha" re: Marxism.

How do secretaries fit into the equation? My father is a lawyer, a sole-practitioner, i.e. he does not employ any other lawyers and does not work for any other lawyers. He does, however, employ a secretary. I do not see exactly how this is an exploitative relationship - and I'm divorcing "exploitative" of all emotional value, and simply using it as a Marxist would. Isn't the secretary at best simply streamlining the labor of her employer? I mean, the job literally couldn't exist without the labor of whomever the secretary was working under; it would be impossible to have a cooperative of secretaries (you could have secretaries as part of a cooperative, of course, but that's a different matter). Where does Marxist class analysis place such individuals?
I do not see exactly how this is an exploitative relationship

You are looking in the wrong place. Your father is not a capitalist, at most petty bourgeois. He, like the secretary, is selling his labor and engaging in the capital-labor relationship. Like a craftsman, your father extracts surplus value from his own labor and accumulates capital. The secretary aids in the logistics of this, like a cashier in a retail store. It's unproductive, but necessary (in this case, if you want to help maintain a standard) labor.

Lawyers and doctors are examples of skilled labor, which, because of its inherent rarity, allow its possessor to blur the line between wage-laborer and petty bourgeoisie.
The Immortal Goon wrote:The big difference is Engels looks at the material conditions like the way trade items moved, as well as the consolidation of the big bourgeoisie against the petite by use of leverage having to do with worker's demands—these being paramount as opposed to culture. Regardless, the narrative takes us to the same place with relatively little variation.

That is a great addition to the topic, for sure, since it needed to be said. I've taken note as well, the fact that Engels was able to talk about the big bourgeoisie using the capitalist state to create barriers to entry for those who came after they had already passed certain hurdles in the accumulation process, is something I didn't expect to see.

But it does make sense, and is another piece of the puzzle fitted into place. :up:

The Immortal Goon wrote:The point being that the use of the Marxist analysis can remain the same even if the system itself is different. This is largely the point of Marxist analysis, and frankly, I think that a lot of opponents to such analysis wrongly apply their own utopian naivety to materialists and assume we all pray to sky gods, maintain our ideas have value over the observable world, and dance around the may-pole of ourselves.

We do not. We analyze, discuss, and measure. Mentioning that it's not the 19th Century to us is hardly a revelation. Nor was it when Marx and Engels were working.

Thankfully, most of the Marxists I've talked to share your view, TIG.

However, I think that the opponents are not always projecting their own naivete onto it, sometimes what happens I think is that they meet the 'Red Alert Socialists' first, and that causes them to get a warped perspective on what it is that Marxists are saying.
Marxism is utter bollocks, consider:

"The history of all hitherto existing society(2) is the history of class struggles."

And then you discover the Asiatic Mode of production. Any class in the AMP? apparently not, so presumably large parts of the world have had no history at all for hundreds of years. Then we move on to the Soviet Union, which starts to look spookily like AMP. Again no classes so presumably no history. Orthodox Trotskyists it should be noted hold to the view of no classes: its a Bonapartist dictatorship balancing between, blah, blah blah. Those jokers in the British socialist workers party argue that the Soviet Union became a class society form 1929, which funnily enough is when according to other Marxists the last remain oppositional class the Kulaks were disappearing.

Stay tuned - Next week in our continuing series of Drongo theories: Freudian ism and the Oedipal complex. How to make mint out of sexual child abuse from the same people who spent half a century denying it existed.
You are looking in the wrong place. Your father is not a capitalist, at most petty bourgeois. He, like the secretary, is selling his labor and engaging in the capital-labor relationship. Like a craftsman, your father extracts surplus value from his own labor and accumulates capital. The secretary aids in the logistics of this, like a cashier in a retail store. It's unproductive, but necessary (in this case, if you want to help maintain a standard) labor.

Lawyers and doctors are examples of skilled labor, which, because of its inherent rarity, allow its possessor to blur the line between wage-laborer and petty bourgeoisie.
I understand my father is petty bourgeoisie, but what does that make his secretary? Is she prole? But she doesn't have a proletarian's relation to the means of production. Is she lumpen? That doesn't seem to make much sense; she is gainfully employed.
Yes, the secretary is a proletarian. Not all proletarians produce value, but they still have the same relationship to the means of production, that was my point about the cashier. They still sell their labor-power, and derive their living almost entirely from wages.
Why is this important and how useful is this distinction between working class and non-working class in today's world? More importantly, has it any practical relevance in terms of what can be politically achieved for socialists, marxists, communists (take your pick).

Why would today's working class (in the formal sense) band together to seize the means of production if substantial parts (the majority?) clearly do not feel that they are members of the working class or are completely indifferent with respect to the question. A CEO won't join such an endeavour, that's for sure, rather he/she will be most likely fight against it.

So, is this a purely academic exercise by now? If not, why not?
Rich wrote:And then you discover the Asiatic Mode of production. Any class in the AMP?

Classes did indeed exist, since "AMP" was more complex that Marx and Engels described it as. Just it was pre-industrial classes, so I don't see the relevance of bringing it up here now.

They did say that "Asia fell asleep in history", until outside aggressors challenged Asian societies and triggered the re-arrangement of social relations into the pattern that exists today.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

still, Compared to the corrupt Putin´s familie s […]

World War II Day by Day

May 14, Tuesday Germany takes Holland At dawn[…]

The war in Ukraine is entering its third year, wit[…]

Somehow this is the CIA's fault. I'm sure. Wel[…]