Football and Soccer - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

You could start calling it "British-snooty-fuck-you-colonists-up-your-asses-ball" if you like Beren.

Really, I think I've been the most accommodating 'Mercan in this thread, and at this point you're even kind of turning me off.

You don't have to call it soccer. This was a troll thread to begin with. We win. You win. We all win.

Done.

You guys say "Whilst" all the time. That isn't even in an American dictionary. The proper term is simply "while". Adding the "st" is completely unnecessary.

So while I'm going to say while when I mean to indicate that something is going on at the same time, whilst I'm doing this you can use whilst.

Does everyone's tender egos feel better now?

Damn you Oxy. I know you're snickering somewhere.
By Beren
Demosthenes wrote:You guys say "Whilst" all the time. That isn't even in an American dictionary. The proper term is simply "while". Adding the "st" is completely unnecessary.

I say while and I say soccer as well, although the latter one makes me somewhat uncomfortable.

TIG wrote:Who said that you, "have to say soccer?" I didn't. None of my sources did. Nobody else in the thread did.

Have you read the OP then? It's a quite common attitude in the US, isn't it? Anyway, we have to or need to say soccer in order to avoid misunderstanding, although more than 95% of the world means association football when someone says football.
Beren wrote:Anyway, we have to or need to say soccer in order to avoid misunderstanding, although more than 95% of the world means association football when someone says football.

TIG wrote:An international forum where the discussion has been Gridiron and Soccer means, "Do you like football" means either gridiron or soccer.

If we had been on a forum that doesn't exist that was based around Cork Ireland, then it would probably mean Gaelic Football. If I were on a rugby site hosted by a NZ server, it would mean "Aussie Rules" rugby. If it was out of the blue on a Canadian site, it would mean gridiron.

99% of the time it's not a problem. Why people insist on making it one so that they can feel so good about having that name is beyond me.
By Smertios
Several years ago there were some nationalists here claiming that we shouldn't call football by that name because we should use a Portuguese term (here we simply say futebol. They proposed calling it Ludopédio, with a Latin root meaning "game of feet". Maybe it is better to drop this soccer/football discussion and simply call the sport Ludopedius :D
By Smertios
It would be funny enough if that started being the case in Brazil, to begin with xD
By Godstud
Rancid wrote:Man's finest create is the game of drink alcohol until you can't feel feelings.
Which you do while you are watching sports. They are part of the larger game.

albionfagan wrote:Football (soccer) is probably man's finest creation.
Second only to hockey. :D Great, nonetheless.

Oxymoron wrote:Brazilians are an arrogant bunch
Well they did create that great haircut for women.
Rancid wrote:Man's finest create is the game of drink alcohol until you can't feel feelings.

Freud wrote:Against the dreaded external world one can only defend oneself by some kind turning away from it, if one intends to solve the task by oneself. There is, indeed, another and better path: that of becoming a member of the human community, and, with the help of a technique guided by science, going over to the attack against nature and subjecting her to the human will. Then one is working with all for the good of all. But the most interesting methods of averting suffering are those which seek to influence our own organism. In the last analysis, all suffering is nothing else than sensation; it only exists in so far as we feel it, and we only feel it in consequence of certain ways in which our organism is regulated.

The crudest, but also the most effective among these methods of influence is the chemical one — intoxication. I do not think that anyone completely understands its mechanism, but it is a fact that there are foreign substances which, when present in the blood or tissues, directly cause us pleasurable sensations; and they also so alter the conditions governing our sensibility that we become incapable of receiving unpleasurable impulses. The two effects not only occur simultaneously, but seem to be intimately bound up with each other. But there must be substances in the chemistry of our own bodies which have similar effects, for we know at least one pathological state, mania, in which a condition similar to intoxication arises without the administration of any intoxication drug. Besides this, our normal mental life exhibits oscillations between a comparatively easy liberation of pleasure and a comparatively difficult one, parallel with which there goes a diminished or an increased receptivity to unpleasure. It is greatly to be regretted that this toxic side of mental processes has so far escaped scientific examination. The service rendered by intoxicating media in the struggle for happiness and in keeping misery at a distance is so highly prized as a benefit that individuals and peoples alike have given them an established place in the economics of their libido. We owe to such media not merely the immediate yield of pleasure, but also a greatly desired degree of independence from the external world. For one knows that, with the help of this 'drowner of cares' one can at any time withdraw from the pressure of reality and find refuge in a world of one's own with better conditions of sensibility. As is well known, it is precisely this property of intoxicants which also determines their danger and their injuriousness. They are responsible, in a certain circumstances, for the useless waste of a large quota of energy which might have been employed for the improvement of the human lot.

What do the tweets say? ——————— So with Palestin[…]

World War II Day by Day

They are words that will always ring true. So lo[…]

You didn't watch the video I posted earlier which[…]

“Whenever the government provides opportunities […]