Platoism - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The non-democratic state: Platonism, Fascism, Theocracy, Monarchy etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By DemocraticOrder
Reading works some works by Plato I have come to believe that his theory would not work in society. The ideal city though is just that, ideal. So first to debate the system I have to get rid of all the problems like natural disasters and such that wasn't even discussed. The first problem I have is the idea that after 35 years of training philosophers reenter the cave to give guidance for the citizens for another 15. But, they have already left the cave for a long period of time, and wouldn't it be better for people to give guidance to people at each level of the cave? Education is gained by each level and it is hard to believe that in the real world people can just accept new ideas from these people they don't even respect as Adeimantus mentions.

Plato also argues that philosophers will not want to rule. Now I read Eric Brown's work Justice and Compulsion for Plato’s Philosopher-Rulers and he states that some philosophers don't believe this because will want to rule because of “the fear of suffering the greatest punishment, which is being ruled by the worse.” and that they will want to demonstrate their knowledge in the form of action. Faults are found in both of these theory's because they go against the ethical thesis of the Republic. No rewards for the kings. He states the way to get the philosophers to rule is by creating a law.

I disagree with the basic premise of the Republic. While in an ideal city this may work out the world is far from ideal. If you force someone to do something they don't want to do they will be less productive. If a philosopher can’t touch/see money, can’t own property, can’t do what they want to do, and can’t even have a family, then there is very little to gain from becoming a ruler. But, of course they will just want to do this because it is the right thing to do...

I just did a very basic thing about my problems with the Republic. Maybe you all can explain to me more about Platoism.
By New Era
I myself have only read 5 books of the repulic and have yet to complete the etire work. I have not read his other works as phaedo but I want to help you the best I can. I have some links to sites about platonism and maybe you will find there the answers you search for.

Platonism
link
link

Neo-Platonism
link
link

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]