Stoicism - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By Bill_Nye
Does anyone here consider Stoicism to be worthwhile? I admit I myself am a Nihilist like Diogenes, but I find the appeal of Stoicism to be charming if only they would get rid of their semi-religious Logos. Just curious what you all think here.
By Potemkin
Bill_Nye wrote:Does anyone here consider Stoicism to be worthwhile? I admit I myself am a Nihilist like Diogenes, but I find the appeal of Stoicism to be charming if only they would get rid of their semi-religious Logos. Just curious what you all think here.

‘Semi-religious’? Only by modern standards. All ancient thinkers were, by our standards, semi-religious in their thinking. Rationalistic atheism only became a thing after the work of Newton, when it became possible for the first time to regard the entire universe, including ourselves, as a mechanism obeying deterministic physical laws. Ironically, Newton was a deeply mystical person himself. Just think of the ‘Logos’ as being the principle of rationality and self-awareness, and you’ll be fine. Besides, we can’t explain what consciousness is even to this day, so we have plenty of ‘semi-religious’ ideas ourselves. Whenever we say, “I think that…”, we’re invoking the Logos without even being honest enough to admit it to ourselves.
By Unthinking Majority
Bill_Nye wrote:Does anyone here consider Stoicism to be worthwhile? I admit I myself am a Nihilist like Diogenes, but I find the appeal of Stoicism to be charming if only they would get rid of their semi-religious Logos. Just curious what you all think here.

In the general sense I find it appealing, it's a pretty simply philosophy.

WHat are potential criticisms?
By Potemkin

By the way, which Stoic philosophers have you read? Besides Marcus Aurelius, of course. Lol.
By Bill_Nye
Potemkin wrote:By the way, which Stoic philosophers have you read? Besides Marcus Aurelius, of course. Lol.

Epictetus and a bit of Seneca.
By Tainari88
Potemkin wrote:By the way, which Stoic philosophers have you read? Besides Marcus Aurelius, of course. Lol.

Aha you wrote a piece on stoicism didn't you eh? I remember you telling me that.
By Potemkin
Bill_Nye wrote:Epictetus and a bit of Seneca.

Good man. You should also check out Musonius Rufus. He’s worth reading. And try to get a copy of The Stoics Reader by Inwood & Gerson. Primary sources galore. Have fun…. ;)

The Orthodox back at the founding of Israel were […]

It's odd, given that the latest report by the IPC […]

@FiveofSwords As you appear to be a fan of the[…]

If China (take back Outer Manchuria) invaded Mo[…]