Religion? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By Buck Williams
As I already know from reading from this forum, there are alot of athiests here. But just to make sure I would like to ask you people what religion you are. I myself am Protestant.
By Locke
Hmm, I was born Catholic but I don't identify with that religion anymore.

God is good, its his fan club I don't like.

People should worship God however they like, none of this crap about going to hell if you don't go to church.
By enLight
Locke wrote:Hmm, I was born Catholic but I don't identify with that religion anymore.

God is good, its his fan club I don't like.

People should worship God however they like, none of this crap about going to hell if you don't go to church.

Congragulations, you can consider yourself a Gnostic. If you don't know what it is, you can look up the definition. ;)

Anyway, I'm a Protestant and generally regard religion to be an important function of society. Atheism is also a religion, all they've done is replaced God with the abstract concept of Man. Secular Humanism is another name for it. It's trading one faith for another, that's all.

If you're interested you can read an article I wrote about religion: Click Here!
By smashthestate
I don't think my style of religion has an official name, and if it does I could really care less.

I read the Bible, I don't go to church--ever. I try my best to incorporate the teachings of the Bible into my life, morals, and everything in general.

That's about it.
By Freedom
I'm a Roman Catholic...although i'm thinking of converting to Judaism...
By Catria
Atheism is also a religion, all they've done is replaced God with the abstract concept of Man.

Athiesm is not a religion. It simply a lack of belief in one particular idea, ie: the existence of God. I consider myself an agnostic by the way....I've seen nothing to convince me of God's existence but still believe there may be things in this universe I cannot conceive of. I reject earthly religions though...they dont add up.

I took the time to read your essay:

The best place a person can start is with a basic definition of what a religion is. Specific definitions are impossible to cover, but what can be said is that there are three elements that make up a religion: a Supreme Being, a set of rules, and consequences for breaking those rules. Together these ingredients compose the variety of lifestyles and cultures that billions of people follow each and every day. With so many people involved in such an institution, one finds it impossible to ignore it or even to brush it aside as mere fantasies of a "backwards-minded" person.

Popularity is not evidence of truth and in historical terms, in Western societes religion has receded vastly in power and influence. It's also noteworthy that those places where religion does have an airtight grip tend to be oppressive and reactionary.

The concept behind this is that if morals are decreed by a Supreme Being, then they are immortal unchangeable by humans. To put it simply, religion creates a moral standard. On the other hand, if man can create morals, then he can easily change them to his needs. What would be considered wrong one day, might change to right, the next. There would be no criterion to compare good or evil to; just mortal values that would shift from generation to generation. Then we run into the problem of two different people having two different sets of morals that directly contradict each other. Who is right? Who is wrong? Without a moral standard, how can one even begin to make a judgment?

Morals already do change to suit mans needs, so there is no such thing as a constant moral standard. How can we accept morals are immortal and unchanging if we have no proof of a supreme being?

Who decides what in a religious text is right and what is wrong or what interpretations we are to take? Religious factions can't even agree among themselves and opposing religions fight each other for moral supremacy. How do we know which religion is the "true one" with the correct absolute morality?

This fulfillment of a need to be comforted is demonstrated every time a prisoner on death row suddenly "finds religion" or on the battlefield where, as the old saying goes, there are no atheists in the foxhole. Religion can help a human maintain proper mental health, even when he is on the edge of breaking. Is it the only solution? No. Can it work when all other sources have been exhausted? Yes. And so we find that religion can play a big part in upholding the mental well being of a person.

I wouldn't argue with that. Religion can help fill a void created by emotional need. But should we accept something as truth simply because it makes us feel better? [it can also make some people feel worse...guilt ridden and anxious]

We have no right to suppose the world is as we would wish it to be. Because we want God....it doesn't mean He is.

If religion is true, they will be rewarded; if not, their life will not have been wasted because a good life is extolled in modern society. If they choose to live an independent life, that may violate religious morals, that’s fine, but they must be prepared to accept the consequences. If religion is not true, they get off free and had a good time! But if religion does turn out to be true, then what an afterlife of punishment and repentance?

Scare tactics. If an athiest lives a good and moral life what sort of loving God would condemn him to eternal punishment simply because he used his capacity for questioning? I find this a very weak argument for faith.

It should not be considered "backwards" or "old-fashioned" and people following it should not be ridiculed. Just like science or philosophy, it is an alternative way to try make some sense out of our world; another method to try and uncover the truth.

Fine...but religion is not like science or philosophy. It operates on faith alone.
By Cruxus
I was raised Catholic, but I have since rejected it and become nonreligious. I have no problem accepting other people's choice to be religious and believe in a god or gods as long as they don't force it on me personally or through the state. I feel that having "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God we trust" on the currency violates this principle, and it also violates the Nonestablishment Clause of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Other than that, I hope the majority of people will use reason and critical thinking when they make important decisions that affect society. Of course, if that were true, there wouldn't be one-issue voters who will vote for somebody because of their position on the abortion issue, for example, but ignore the rest of their platform.

I disagree that atheism is a religion: Atheism is not equivalent to secular humanism. Atheism is, by definition, the lack of a belief in a god or set of gods. Most agnostics would probably qualify as some kind of atheist and so would certain kinds of Buddhists. In a more limited scope, Christians can be considered atheist in their belief towards the ancient Greek god Zeus.
By C-Kokos
I was born an Orthodox Christian, then passed a stage of Rastafarian lifestyle without the religious stuff and then I became a dialectic materialist, which involves atheism.
By Al Khabir
I stay as close as possible to Confucianism. Unlike the other religeons (it is really a philosophy of life)m it does not tell of worshipping any supposed "deity" but simply how to live well with your fellow man, adn to honour others properly, as well as giving so may life truths.
By Proctor
Born an Anglican, but I think I fit into the category of Gnostic. Maybe.
By Buck Williams
Cruxus wrote:I was raised Catholic, but I have since rejected it and become nonreligious. I have no problem accepting other people's choice to be religious and believe in a god or gods as long as they don't force it on me personally or through the state. I feel that having "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God we trust" on the currency violates this principle, and it also violates the Nonestablishment Clause of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Other than that, I hope the majority of people will use reason and critical thinking when they make important decisions that affect society. Of course, if that were true, there wouldn't be one-issue voters who will vote for somebody because of their position on the abortion issue, for example, but ignore the rest of their platform.

I disagree that atheism is a religion: Atheism is not equivalent to secular humanism. Atheism is, by definition, the lack of a belief in a god or set of gods. Most agnostics would probably qualify as some kind of atheist and so would certain kinds of Buddhists. In a more limited scope, Christians can be considered atheist in their belief towards the ancient Greek god Zeus.

"Under God" was added to the plege around the 60's to seperate us from the atheist commies :D just thought you people might want to know that. Also ALL Buddhists are atheist, they don't have a god (Buddha wasn't a god, he was just a guy who found enlightenment. Buddha= englightened one)
By smashthestate
Buck Williams wrote:"Under God" was added to the plege around the 60's to seperate us from the atheist commies :D just thought you people might want to know that. Also ALL Buddhists are atheist, they don't have a god (Buddha wasn't a god, he was just a guy who found enlightenment. Buddha= englightened one)

This is certainly true (although I think it was in the 50's). However, how long has "In God We Trust" been on our money? How long has a witness on the stand had to swear to the Bible? How long as Congress prayed before every session?
By pheared
smashthestate wrote:This is certainly true (although I think it was in the 50's). However, how long has "In God We Trust" been on our money? How long has a witness on the stand had to swear to the Bible? How long as Congress prayed before every session?

1954, yep. And, good questions. Another one I have been wondering: Why would swearing on the Bible compel an atheist such as myself to be any more or less truthful? It doesn't seem to work for religious folks, so I imagine it will have the same effect here. I'd be more afraid of committing perjury. They should have witnesses attest to the fact that they understand what perjury is and what the penalties are and to repeat after me: "This is serious fucking business."
By Buck Williams
swearing on the Bible has been around for a long time. Its tradition.
By Comrade Juanito
Im Catholic and happy to be one. And yes budda is not a god, however he resembles a great one like a mentor that his followers take after, he is fewed at god like status and for all those who think religions require gods, just have a look at buddism. possibly the biggest eastern asian religion there is
By pheared
Buck Williams wrote:swearing on the Bible has been around for a long time. Its tradition.

I think we (at least I was) were looking for a more concrete duration than "a long time."
By Ixa
I am an irreligious atheist.

The purpose of religion, which is the "opium of the people", is "to satisfy other needs or conditions"; and "Religion is so fully determined by economics that it is pointless to consider any of its doctrines or beliefs on their own merits".
By CasX
I'm not religious.
--------------------

More statues have been raised to Buddha than to any other person.
By Nox
Sort of a diest. I believe in 'that which is greater than man' - I don't like the word God.

Nox

@Pants-of-dog no, you have not shown anything. J[…]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iymz8WhK3lE I was […]

Exactly. I think this is the caution to those tha[…]

You probably think Bill nye is an actual scientis[…]