Errors of Plato? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By Ixa
What do you think are the errors of Plato?

I would say, inter alia, this: Plato's philosophy implies that earlier abstractions ("universals", "forms", "ideas", etc), viz., the more general ones, contain individual differences therein; however, after just thinking about this, I have realised that this cannot possibly be the case: e.g., we can have the idea of a "cat", which is not a very general idea, and, if we do have that idea, we must moreover have the idea of "animal", for it explicitly presupposes said idea (it is more general, scil., earlier); however, the same us not true vice versa, i.e. we can have the idea of "animal" without the differentia, i.e. without the specific differences, viz. the idea of of "cat" or "dog" or "horse", ect.

And this is why Plato's philosophy is wrong.

Actually, I’m a Communist. An orthodox Marxist-Le[…]

@Pants-of-dog intent is, if anything, a key comp[…]

As for Zeihan, I didn't hear anything interesting[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

After the battle of Cannae, Rome was finished. It[…]