Breaking Bad - an interpretation - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Potemkin wrote:Actually, that's the definition of a Shakespearean tragedy, BoK. A Greek tragedy is about the power of fate, of circumstances - we are all playthings of the gods &c. Shakespearean tragedy is about how people manage to fuck up even a good thing....

Indeed: there is a difference between hamartia (which is a mistake, incorrect choice, etc made by the main character which leads to his downfall or undoing) and a fatal flaw. I'm not sure how one possibly justifies comparing Breaking Bad to the quality of Shakespeare.
Sorry, I guess I confused the two.

Indeed: there is a difference between hamartia (which is a mistake, incorrect choice, etc made by the main character which leads to his downfall or undoing) and a fatal flaw. I'm not sure how one possibly justifies comparing Breaking Bad to the quality of Shakespeare.

I wasn't comparing Breaking Bad to the quality of Shakespeare, as obviously it doesn't even come close. Breaking Bad shares more in common with classic comic books than Shakespeare. However, the overall story arc is definitely comparable to a Shakespearian tragedy, since that is an archetype that has been hugely influential in works of quality in the last 400 years. I'd imagine it's highly likely that the lead writer of the show took a class in analyzing Shakespeare.
Brother of Karl wrote:Sorry, I guess I confused the two.

I wasn't comparing Breaking Bad to the quality of Shakespeare, as obviously it doesn't even come close. Breaking Bad shares more in common with classic comic books than Shakespeare. However, the overall story arc is definitely comparable to a Shakespearian tragedy, since that is an archetype that has been hugely influential in works of quality in the last 400 years. I'd imagine it's highly likely that the lead writer of the show took a class in analyzing Shakespeare.

It's a very common mistake... or should I say, hamartia, for almost everyone.

Sorry, I confused you for something another person in this thread said:

GandalftheGrey wrote:It just occured to me: Walt's 'tragedy' was Shakespearean

It was hilarious anyone could possibly think that, and while reading your comments and that of Pote's I mixed you up in my mindy. There's definitely tropes in common with both Shakespeare and elements of Greek tragedy within Breaking Bad, and granted, Walter's transformation is fairly well done in places.

You might be surprised and he might wind up being[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]

Waiting for Starmer

Well, there wasn't much waiting. Starmer is coming[…]