The only reason that 10% of Americans lack enough food is US Gov. policy. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I can say this with 100% confidence because the US is 7th in GDP/capita. There is plenty of money in the US to feed everyone. The US Gov, just "chooses" to let its people be hungry. Maybe this "choice" is because the Gov. is divided between Corp Dems and MAGA Repuds.

In any case it is partly because Neo-liberal Economic Theory has a grip on the minds of all of the main groups; the politicians, the media, and most of the people. As you must know, I'm a lay MMTer, which means I know that because Neo-liberalism is based on just only logic and some false premises, it is therefore totally unproven and so without any valid base. It was created in the 70s to have a theory that would let the rich get richer.

Within the 1st min. of the video they give you the data that proves that there is no reason in reality that keeps the US from paying its workers enough to buy food and doesn't give money to the needy to buy food. Every other peer advanced nation can do it. The money is there and the food is there (except during the lockdowns during a pandemic) now that the pandemic is over. I said "in reality" because money isn't really real. The Gov. created $5.3T out of thin air to deal with the pandemic, not counting what was spent to fund the vaccine research. Nobody in Congress or the media asked 'where the money will come from'. Congress voted to spend the money and so it was spent. Then bonds were sold (if necessary to the Fed) to cover the spending. According to the SFFRB (the Fed) this resulted in 0.4 percentage points of the 6% or 7% inflation rate, with the rest being cause by other factors; like shortages from shipping problems and factory lockdowns, OPEC, Ukraine, and corps price gouging and so making much higher profits.

Remove the [==] to see the video.
https://www.you[==]tube.com/watch?v=IfTMARbcYaU&list=TLPQMjUwNzIwMjMxH2G3U2aPOw&index=7

SpecialOlympian wrote:Excuse me, but I live in a state where we need to produce tanks from the cold war era that the military doesn't want to keep our jobs.

Well, that is sad. But at least those jobs pay more than most jobs.

It is US Gov. policy to keep unions weak, to keep wages low and so profits high.
It is Gov. policy to keep the unemployment rate high [in some EU nations over 10%] to control inflation. This also keeps wages low and so profits high.
It is Gov. policy to allow big corps to absorb smaller corps to reduce competition so that prices, and so, profits are high.
It is Gov. policy to call aid to corps and the rich subsidies and tax breaks, but aid for the people is called "handouts" that will make them dependent, so we are making the poor better off by reducing their handouts.
It is US Gov. policy to underfund all the programs intended to help lower income people with college, healthcare, supplemental food, etc. But, increasing tax breaks and subsidies for the rich are thought to be necessary to encourage them to do good for the nation.

Mainstream economic theories, like Neo-liberalism and Neo-Keynesianism, support such policies "as necessary", but Modern monetary Theory econ. asserts that all these policies are not necessary, if the Gov. is off the gold standard and so has its own fiat currency. The EU and EZ are different because most use the euro (which is a foreign currency for them) and the rest of the EU live under rules that constrain them from sufficient deficit spending.

National Govs. are not at all like a household, corp, or local gov. National Govs. need to deficit spend so that the non-gov. sector of the economy can save and import more than they can export.

@Tainari88 There is no guarantee Trump will g[…]

@Potemkin wrote: Popular entertainment panders[…]

@Pants-of-dog no, you have not shown anything. J[…]

You probably think Bill nye is an actual scientis[…]