Peace keeping in Bougainville ends - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2553698a11,00.html

Stuff.co.nz wrote:Defence Force peace monitoring task in Bougainville ends
30 June 2003

After almost six years helping keep the peace in Bougainville the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) will lower the flag on its operations today.

Former New Zealand Minister of Foreign Affairs Don McKinnon helped negotiate a truce between warring factions on the Papua New Guinea island in 1997.

Since then, New Zealand has contributed to the Peace Monitoring Group (PMG) overseeing agreements that ended the bloody 10-year separatist war.

Today, the peacekeepers' mandate expires and the withdrawal in coming weeks of troops and civilians from New Zealand, Australia, Vanuatu, and Fiji is being seen as an acid test for the fragile peace now being observed.

A New Zealand-led Truce Monitoring Group (TMG) deployed to Bougainville in November 1997. The TMG was unarmed and New Zealand's contribution comprised 150 New Zealand Army personnel, a detachment of RNZAF Iroquois helicopters and, for varying periods, HMNZ ships Canterbury, Endeavour and Manawanui.

Australia contributed defence and civilian personnel, while Fiji and Vanuatu provided military personnel.

Eight months later, in May 1998, the TMG was replaced by the Australian-led Peace Monitoring Group, and the number of NZDF personnel on the island was reduced.

A weapons containment plan commenced in May of 2001 and, in June this year, the United Nations verified the second stage of the plan, leaving the way clear for elections to be held for an autonomous Bougainville government.

Leaders of villages throughout Bougainville who have participated in the peace process will attend an official closedown ceremony on the island today.

New Zealand Chief of Defence Force, Air Marshal Bruce Ferguson, will head a New Zealand delegation comprising the Chief of Army, Major General Jerry Mateparae, Ministry of Foreign Affairs representatives, an honour guard and a Maori cultural group.

The NZDF currently has 19 personnel in Bougainville. Some will return with the close down delegation while the rest will return in August after completion of the mission drawdown.
Very good indeed. It's good to see another step taken towards a peaceful Pacific.

And of course it is of personal interest to me since my Dad was a member of the mission in 1999.

I wonder how many years we have until America beco[…]

@QatzelOk Mind you, if this is a long-term st[…]

I'm waiting, why is it implausible again? Even you[…]

From what I can see, it's an encampment at UoA. Am[…]