Tonga increases power of the monarchy - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
I just heard this on the news, but the only news story I could find on the internet was this:

Tonga's parliament has passed a controversial amendment to the constitution, giving the government sweeping powers to control the press. The Opposition Human Rights and Democracy Movement last week organised a march against the proposed amendment which attracted an estimated six to seven thousand people. The turnout made it the biggest political demonstration in the Kingdom's history. Reaction to the new laws has similarly been strong.

(Remembering that the 'Parliament' is something like two thirds chosen by the King himself.)
By Ocker
I have read a lot about the Tongan king, and from what I have read I don't get the impression he is very liked by the Tongan public.

I wonder how long until it degrades into revolution/anarchy, and we have to send our troops there aswell...
By Proctor
Mmm. The King and his friends dismissed the protest because none of the protesters understood the issues involved. :roll: And he also said that the majority of the population didn't turn up. No shit. It's hard to get all 108,141 people of a nation made of many small islands in one place at the same time.

Unfortunately, http://stuff.co.nz don't have an article about it. I don't know what to do when Stuff don't have what I want. I'm lost.
By Nox
I am curious:

Should things degenerate within Tonga to the point of anarchy/revolution ... which country (Kiwi or Oz) will get the priviledge of sending in peacekeepers to pull the parties apart?

Nox
By Efrem Da King
AUs, the kiwis don't like to get involved in anything, they prefer to let us deal with problems in the region and then attack us about it.
By CasX
New Zealand under Clark sees war as a last resort, prefers UN guidance in regional issues, and co-operation involving as many nations in the region as possible.

While I don't see Tonga falling into anarchy any time soon, peacekeepers would most probably be UN and from a joint collective of many pacific island nations and Australia and New Zealand. There are other countries in the region you know.
By Proctor
No, New Zealand foreign policy has alwalys been very Pacific based, whereas Australia has suddenly developed a renewed interest, shifting away from South East Asia. Which is fine. But I'm really not too sure about what you did in the Pacific we attacked you for.

If Tonga's government were to collapse, and there was a reasonably loud call for international peacekeepers to supervise a transition government, most all South Pacific nations would send them. Australia, having the biggest armed forces, would probably send the most. Maybe Fiji would be next, they like their peacekeeping. If not, probably New Zealand.

But I think that is rathe unlikely. The system in Tonga has functioned in this way for the last 200 years. While I think it is very likely to change soon, I don't think a violent revolt will be the way it will be achieved. How I see it, over the next few years, other nations will lend more support to the Democracy movement, and the monarchy will slowly give in to reform as the population really gets behind them.
By Efrem Da King
Actually indonesia have the largest armed forces, ours are just 10 times as good 8) . And they're to busy keeping peace in their own country.
By CasX
Proctor wrote:New Zealand foreign policy has alwalys been very Pacific based

I don't know if that's true. Back in the day we were mostly concerned with Britain and the US. That is, pre-1950 or so.
By Proctor
CasX wrote:I don't know if that's true. Back in the day we were mostly concerned with Britain and the US. That is, pre-1950 or so.
Whoops, sorry. I meant since WWII. *feels stupid*

You know Efrem, I agree entirely on Indonesia. Australia is equipped to actually be able to keep the peace, whereas Indonesia's armed forces are built to quell internal problems. :/
On Self Interest

@Wellsy But if we were to define "moral […]

He did not occupy czechoslovakia. The people ther[…]

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]