As a pheonix from the ashes so rises ... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
The Empire of the Rising Sun!!!

It would seem that the Japanese populace supports the militarization of Japan. Never dropping their nationalist beliefs this uber-nationalist nation is no longer having to comply with international restrictions to their military. Some might mention their domestic restriction found in article 9 of their constitution but Koizumi is running on a platform to do away with it so that Japan can actively support the US and does not have its hands tied in case China or North Korea become aggressive. Additional concerns (for some) are that Japan has announced two new aircraft carriers, their first since WWII.

It may also seem like semantics but Koizumi wishes to change the concept of having a defense force and begin calling it a military, which naturally would be against article 9 of their constitution.

It would indeed seem that Japan is no longer happy being relegated to the peace table and indeed wish to reclaim their position perhaps not as a superpower but certainly as a power.

Any thoughts?

Below are some links and quotes to back up my claims.

Article 9

(1) Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes.
(2) In order to accomplish the aim of the preceding paragraph, land, sea, and air forces, as well as other war potential, will never be maintained. The right of aggression of the state will not be recognized.

LINK

"I think it (Article 9 of the Constitution) should be revised in the future," Koizumi said on a morning television show.

LINK

The Japanese navy is preparing to build two small aircraft carriers, its first in more than 60 years, according to Japanese and United States officials.

LINK

In December 2000, Japan's cabinet approved a 25 trillion yen (US$227 billion) medium-range defence buildup programme, which aimed to add advanced equipment to its maritime and air forces. The five-year defence plan was established in fiscal 2001.

* I just realized, this *could* have gone into the Asia Pacif forum ... *
By bach
I think Japan has a right to defend, as long as they dont use it to attack unecesarily, even more now hat they have "The little punckill in North Korea" which must be a really big corncern for them.
By Al Khabir
It is very easy to say that they should be allowed "the right to defend", but then if you allow them this who is to stop them from attacking? I imagine that the US army was originally intended for defence.
By smashthestate
Nothing, that's what. You can grant them all of the military you want, but you can't control how they will use it, even if they say it's for defensive purposes only.
By Darth objectionable
Why should the Japanese army only be allowed to defend when armies such as the American army are free to attack whoever and whatever they like. Seems a bit unjust to me, but then perhaps I am forgetting that they are the most powerful nation in the world. :?:
By enLight
Japan should be concerned about having a military - especially with a delightful neighbor like North Korea. They are a major power in the Asia-Pacific area, so it makes sense that they should have military power to back this up.

Don't worry, their military will never be better than America's. ;)
By Demosthenes
I am in support of this also. Though I would hope they would still be bound by the spirit of their constitution....hmmm...any body ever see that South Park episode with the Chimpoku man fad...

"White man have big penis..."
"Japanese have little penis..."

(to summarize they kill us all, the little buggars...)

He did not occupy czechoslovakia. The people ther[…]

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]