Conflict in Ukraine - Page 344 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Rich
just keep repeating this sickening lie over and over again. How anyone can blame Russians for Bolshevism is beyond me. I mean you can argue about whether Bolshevism was a Jewish ideology, a German ideology, perhaps a French ideology descended from the French revolution, but no one could seriously claim that its a Russian ideology.
roxunreal wrote:

So why didn't they?

Because after several incidents of just such violence Russian-speaking Ukrainians armed themselves and closed off access to their cities and towns to the new government and their extremist right vector battalions.

Ideational Ontarian wrote:Nice try with the historical revisionism.

So which part are you denying? The thousands of civilians dead? The 1.96 million refugees in Russia? These are the numbers of the OSCE and the United Nations Special Monitoring Mission in Ukraine.

Ideational Ontarian wrote:Ukraine was invaded by Russian agents both in Crimea and the East.

Someone of Lebanese descent should know better than most what is an invasion and what is not an invasion. By no stretch of the English-language can either the situations in Crimea or Donbas be described as "invasion". The Russian army has not marched into Ukraine, things would've been over a lot more quickly and permanently were that the case.

Kiev will know it if Russia invades.

Ideational Ontarian wrote:The ATO was objectively a defensive operation. There is no disputing that.

Forgive me, but everyone who doesn't support the new government in Kiev or swallow the American narrative reigning in English-language media disputes that.

In fact, I would say even many such people who do support Poroshenko and swallow everything and with relish know that it was not "defensive". It was clearly an offensive strike and in violation of previously signed agreements (Berlin, July 2).

The self-defense forces had no interest in moving on Western Ukraine. There was no danger to Kiev from them. They want local autonomy, to separate themselves from the new government—not to take over all of Ukraine. Kiev took initiative to try and dislodge them by force.

Ideational Ontarian wrote:Kiev made no move against Russian-speaking areas until they came under attack by local rebels and international terrorists from Russia.

Kiev made a move, your qualification of that fact is simply inaccurate and is a direct consequence of your commitment to the fiction that it was defensive.

Those Russian-speaking areas you speak of are where the self-defense fighters come from and where their families live. Why would they attack their own areas? Seems strategically ill-advised...

Or did you mean that people from those areas attacked Kiev and invaded Western Ukraine? I haven't read or watched the news this morning, but that would mean English-language media has reached dizzying new heights in pure, unadulterated bull-sh*t when it comes to Ukraine.

Anyone who thinks that Crimea needed coercion to vote for independence or that the self-defense fighters needed to take Russian-speaking areas by force—simply knows nothing of the history and geopolitics of the region. It could only be believed somewhere very far from Ukraine.
Russia's involvement in Ukraine may be understandable but it can by no means be called legitimate. It's actually a geopolitical textbook case for using a pretext to get their way. What's more, Russia is pretty much copying the West - down to the language of moral outrage - in justifying the interference.

The first surprise here is that it took Russia so long after the USSR breakup to get with the program. The second is that most of Russia's supporters seem to genuinely fall for it when they would call similar actions of any western country imperialist. And then, without irony, they are lamenting double standards.
The second is that most of Russia's supporters seem to genuinely fall for it when they would call similar actions of any western country imperialist. And then, without irony, they are lamenting double standards.

Give me a legitimate opposing example and this discussion can proceed. Otherwise you're simply stating falsehoods. In no way is Russian interference in ethnic Russian areas across the border where war is already waging with shells slamming into Russian border villages close to similar to what the US has been doing in Libya, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, Serbia, etc in the past decade and a half alone. Same goes for the Georgia operation, hundreds of Russian peacekeepers where killed before Russia moved in and then only to secure the areas it had been tasked with securing. Imagine if this had happened to a western state, Tbilisi would have been cluster bombed for months, thousands killed-the western way.

The annexation of Crimea by permanently stationed Russian troops shielding a legitimate referendum (no they did not invade they had been there for centuries) was vindicated and legitimized completely by the subsequent aggression Kiev directed at east Ukraine, which attempted its own referendum. Clearly had Russia not acted Crimea would be a war zone right now.

The only Russian error, the only mistake, is that it didn't act immediately in east Ukraine, that it didn't immediately set up protection for the people there. Protection from western-backed death squads that raised entire villages to the ground and labelled the populations in them terrorists-once again, the western way.
By Conscript
Russia's imperialism is so neutered, so limited, its biggest manifest is coming out to support the aspirations of its people in a national question triggered by those who simply despise the country.

The latest hitler is an oligarch hardly opposed to the neo-liberal system and his crime is fighting a war of national liberation in the backyard. Meanwhile the direct descendants of the old Western imperialists are doing what Bismarck and the Nazis could only dream of in the East.
Igor Antunov wrote:Give me a legitimate opposing example and this discussion can proceed.

Almost any of your examples works. It doesn't matter that Russia's actions are not exactly the same. Russia goes as far as it thinks it can get away with without serious repercussions. Furthermore, even the EU's and the US's actions before the conflict escalated were called imperialist.

Conscript wrote:Russia's imperialism is so neutered, so limited,

Lacking the means is not the same as lacking the will.

Conscript wrote: its biggest manifest is coming out to support the aspirations of its people in a national question triggered by those who simply despise the country.

So you are one of those that fit the description in my last post.
Kaiserschmarrn, surely you see the difference between one country defending its ethnic kin in a nation immediately bordering it with interwoven economic links, shared histories, family ties, and as children of the same civilization from what is not only in my mind or Vladimir Putin's mind but the minds of millions understood to be a hostile foreign-directed regime change deliberately designed to politically disenfranchise those ethnic kin across the border and menace their mother country and a Western coalition feigning outrage as a pretext to bombard, invade and establish control over a country across oceans for reasons predicated on an appetite for expansion. One is a matter of global expansionism and the other, Russian defense of its interests in neighboring Ukraine, the reaction to that same unyielding global expansionist crusade.

Martin has provided some worthwhile insight. I have feelings like everyone else that the ceasefire will only be a temporary feature, but disappointingly I believe it would have been better to wait until Donetsk airport and Mariupol were completely liberated and full control established before effecting it.

roxunreal wrote:one from Simferopol that actually temporarily emigrated to Kiev after the annexation

Rox, if he is a Kiev and NATO-loyal type of fellow, then he best stay in Kiev until that's liberated too and there will be nothing "temporary" about it, because the only minds in which Crimea's return to the Russian motherland is at all temporary are those of some very deluded chauvinist characters in Lviv. Even Washington policymakers though it will never be admitted and the annexation "normalized" in that BS diplomatic sense for years to come, knew long ago that the game ha been up in Crimea and no one could pry it away from Russia now anymore than St. Petersburg could be pried away - Not without a nuclear conflict.

No, he can procure his visa for travel to Russia and visit Crimea any day he wishes, but he'll never see a Ukrainian Crimea again.
By Rugoz
So has anything new happened?

I think the current situation is good for Kiev. It seems Putin is satisfied with a frozen conflict in Donbass. There will be elections in October which will stabilize the country further. The FTA with the EU has been delayed but the EU continues to unilaterally reduce tariffs for Ukrainian imports.
Donetsk airport has been shelled constantly over the past 24 hours, there were 4 separate artillery attacks and a rebel assault. 4,000 Russian troops in Crimea have moved up to the border with Ukraine next to Kherson oblast. The airport in Luhansk has been repaired and is ready to handle aircraft.

The various factions are simply positioning forces for renewed offensives.

Also Putin has warned Poroshenko that he can have forces in Warsaw and all the Baltic republics within two days, probably to threaten him with indicated readiness/posture of Russian forces.
First of all, let us not forget who actually started the conflict in Ukraine.

US support of violent neo-Nazis in Ukraine: Video Compilation

Published on Mar 18, 2014

Shocking and insightful videos detailing the neo-Nazi, anti-Semitic, ultra-nationalist movement in Ukraine. The videos examine the ongoing US support of these groups, including the Svoboda party and Right Sector.

Visit http://stpeteforpeace.org for more info.

Source videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=...

The war will go on as long as the USA is prepared to finance it. There is a senate bill in the pipeline which would authorize $350 million weapons transfer to Ukrainian forces.
Far-Right Sage wrote:Kaiserschmarrn, surely you see the difference between one country defending its ethnic kin in a nation immediately bordering it with interwoven economic links, shared histories, family ties, and as children of the same civilization

You and I both know that this is not Russia's primary motive. However, I do believe it is quite likely important for Russians and Russophiles which is why it is such an excellent pretext. But personally I like the justification that "Russia is defending a minority against brutal oppression by Fascists" best.

I'm just wondering where all the world-weariness and cynicism has gone that is so consistently applied whenever these arguments come up in other circumstances.

Not so long ago, you've said that Putin shouldn't stoop so low and use the language of liberals, something I first noticed during the Syria conflict. But since then you've often abandoned your own amoral position and posting style in favour of the kind of language and reasoning that Putin has adopted. Since I don't think that you have genuinely and fundamentally changed, it seems this is just a case of learning and using your opponent's weapons. So it looks like Putin and you have both acknowledged that, considering how effective these moral arguments are, it would be silly to give them a pass. It's a bit ironic in your case, since it works best if some references to Fascism are thrown into the mix.

Far-Right Sage wrote:from what is not only in my mind or Vladimir Putin's mind but the minds of millions understood to be a hostile foreign-directed regime change deliberately designed to politically disenfranchise those ethnic kin across the border and menace their mother country and a Western coalition feigning outrage as a pretext to bombard, invade and establish control over a country across oceans for reasons predicated on an appetite for expansion.

I wish you would drop the hyperbole.

And most of us know that you do not object to any of the above in principle. It's just that you are opposed to the US, or more generally the West.

Far-Right Sage wrote:One is a matter of global expansionism and the other, Russian defense of its interests in neighboring Ukraine, the reaction to that same unyielding global expansionist crusade.

Locations of interest are not magically limited to neighbouring countries. But regardless, Ukraine shares borders with several EU member states anyway.
By pikachu
There will be elections in October which will stabilize the country further.
Six major mutually-hostile nationalist factions and not a single representative of the country's east, from Odessa to Dnepropetrovsk, set amidst the backdrop of military defeat and rapidly declining economic fortunes. Sounds like a recipe for Stability and Democratic European Future. Personally, I expect a liberal paradise akin to Libya post Gaddafi.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:You and I both know that this is not Russia's primary motive. However, I do believe it is quite likely important for Russians and Russophiles which is why it is such an excellent pretext. But personally I like the justification that "Russia is defending a minority against brutal oppression by Fascists" best.

I'm just wondering where all the world-weariness and cynicism has gone that is so consistently applied whenever these arguments come up in other circumstances.

Not so long ago, you've said that Putin shouldn't stoop so low and use the language of liberals, something I first noticed during the Syria conflict. But since then you've often abandoned your own amoral position and posting style in favour of the kind of language and reasoning that Putin has adopted. Since I don't think that you have genuinely and fundamentally changed, it seems this is just a case of learning and using your opponent's weapons. So it looks like Putin and you have both acknowledged that, considering how effective these moral arguments are, it would be silly to give them a pass. It's a bit ironic in your case, since it works best if some references to Fascism are thrown into the mix.

There are two different points here.

I concur that it is not Russia's (as in the Russian government's) primary motive, but I do absolutely believe actual national defense/security concerns are in the face of an expanding military alliance rolling up to their borders. The comparison (though it's certainly not a matter of being limited to deployment of strategic weapons systems) would be stationing Soviet missiles in Cuba, which absolutely was a legitimate threat to U.S. national security, or the U.S. deployment of missiles in Turkey against the USSR which actually preceded that incident. In all cases, the country concerned had justifiable reasons to fear a looming encirclement and take bold defensive measures to curtail this.

This cannot be compared to, for example, a superpower-led coalition with the usual EU poodles in tow flying warplanes across the Mediterranean to bombard and utterly destroy another country of no threat, Libya, for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with defense, security, or even pursuit of genuine national interests.

As to what you're saying about using the language of liberal internationalists on faux-humanitarian interventions acting as pretexts and smokescreens for invasion and control, a la Yugoslavia, Iraq, Libya, and their fortunately failing attempt against Syria, not to mention the countless successful and failed color revolutions from Georgia to Belarus to Iran to Venezuela to Ukraine itself, I unequivocally believe that as Russia is the weaker party and thus for the time being has to learn to properly utilize the double talk and weaving of narratives in the same fashion that the chief global exploiters do, wielding it and their utterly hollow bankrupt claim to a moral monopoly as a lethal sword against them, that this is a wise and effective strategy to follow. I support Moscow's penchant for adaptation to its environment.

On the second point about myself and what I actually believe, you know of course my motives for wanting to see the world's most repugnant manifestation of a military wing of international finance-capital, NATO, a serpent of unparalleled toxicity responsible for ruin the world over and ravaging of some of the most beautiful of national projects, being dealt a crippling blow and its machinations stopped cold in Ukraine.

Again though, as a natural and vocal supporter of those of a shared ethnicity seizing and enjoying the privilege to live under one state as a united polity and thus achieve full sovereignty and agency on the basis of common blood and presumably of purpose, I also support Russian annexation and incorporation/increased control over and ties with ethnic Russian territory outside its legal borders and re-adjustment of those legal borders where appropriate (a la Crimea) for genuine ideological reasons.

It just so happens in that case that my geostrategic interests happen to marry nicely my ideological ones. On a more grandiose level I have nothing against the Ukrainians as an ethnic group or the identity they derive from their wealth of cultural traditions, as well as respecting the more basic principles held by many nationalist factions on Ukraine's far-right, but simply see no reason why the East Slavs should be divided into three or more states rather than being united as a people which will give them, as it did in Soviet times (and this time fortunately without the prospect of a communist agenda), greater ability to shape their Eurasian space and project power internationally. Brzezinski and his student American and Western European policymakers know and understand this, and it is why they consider the splitting of tens of millions of white East Slavs from the influence of Moscow and a leadership that exists independently of Western designs a geostrategic imperative for the 21st century which will see Russia retreat to Asia.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:And most of us know that you do not object to any of the above in principle. It's just that you are opposed to the US, or more generally the West.

You saying this is a fundamental misunderstanding of my position, for I have both served and given a lifetime of work and of raising a family to the U.S. and have roots and family still living in Germany, so to say I am opposed to "the West" is extremely misleading and inaccurate. I am not opposed to any nation per se. What I am opposed to, as I feel I've repeated many times and made myself quite clear on here, is neoliberal globalization and the pursuit with increasing rapidity post-1991 of a liberal internationalist-led world monoculture which places all primacy on the post-modern materialist value system, stateless financial interests which pillage and pervert the direction of ethnic population groups not their own, and the push to eradication of the differentiation and consideration of race, ethnicity, nationality, language, culture, and the spiritual, traditional, and philosophical agency of whole peoples across the planet. To the extent that the political and economic establishment which stands not for the sovereignty of the population or territory it governs but their further integration into the bile known as the international system stands for pushing for this future for the nations I love and the whole of the world, in Europe, the U.S., and elsewhere, then absolutely 100% those regimes and institutions are my enemy and I support their position being undermined by any means necessary.

If I didn't care about the future of "the West", which couldn't be further from the truth, I wouldn't be so adamantly opposed to the inundation of the European people's space with unrestrained waves of colored immigration. I support the resistance of nationalist, pan-ethnic, and independence-minded revolutionary movements to a great extent in the global-south and developing world with hope in mind for a brighter, freer future for European civilization both on the mother continent and in the New World, a post-liberal, ethnically and racially sovereign, post-Judeo-Christian "West".

To the extent that Russia can subvert and fragment the international system while halting some of its odious advances as it has done in Syria and to the extent that its actions in Eastern Europe which have earned it Western wrath see it further withdraw from the artificial global "consensus" and chart a more independent course, its resistance to the advance of neoliberal rodent droppings in Ukraine has been nothing short of glorious.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Locations of interest are not magically limited to neighbouring countries. But regardless, Ukraine shares borders with several EU member states anyway.

True, but it's beyond question for anyone who lends even a scintilla of weight to ethnic concerns and ethnic autonomy and unity that a Russian state and leadership has far far far more business overseeing the affairs of ethnic Russians in an area that was recently Russian territory officially than do Brits, Frenchmen, Italians, or a faceless soulless post-nationalist bureaucratic apparatus polluting Brussels.
Last edited by Far-Right Sage on 19 Sep 2014 10:45, edited 2 times in total.
And if it were Frenchmen, Poles, Germans, Spaniards, or God forbid Russians trying to dictate the future local leadership of Wales or a patch of territory in northern England, you'd never stand for it and claim they have just as much of a right and legitimate interest and stake as you, a Briton. So why would or should Russia ever concede to ethnic Russians being ruled over by foreign enemies?
By Rich
Thompson_NCL wrote:Ukraine is ethnically European, so it stands to reason Europeans ought to have a great deal of interest in the welfare of a European nation.
What could be more ethnically Europeans than the Russians? Russia was founded as the third Rome. The defender of European civilisation against Muslim and Asiatic barbarism. The only reason that there is a European Ukraine, not another Islamic shit hole is because of the Russian freedom fighters who gave their loves fighting against Muslim terrorists down the centuries.
Rugoz wrote:So has anything new happened?

I think the current situation is good for Kiev. It seems Putin is satisfied with a frozen conflict in Donbass. There will be elections in October which will stabilize the country further. The FTA with the EU has been delayed but the EU continues to unilaterally reduce tariffs for Ukrainian imports.

It's about the same. Ceasefire holds in most places, some places—not. The self-defense forces have been joking: Ожесточенное перемирие продолжалось в районе Песков. A fierce truce continued near Peski. Сейчас идет интенсивное перемирие в районе донецкого аэропорта. Intense ceasefire is under way near the Donetsk airport.

But overall the ceasefire is holding and all sides have a stake in it's not being broken. Although Kiev is actually the weakest link.

The power gets turned off at certain points during the day to save electricity and money. As Czech MEP Miloslav Ransdorf recently pointed out, Ukraine is technically at default (= broke). With winter coming they desperately need 5 billion worth of gas for heating (Yatsenyuk's number). And after the Independence Day military parade—a lot of people are disillusioned by the Kiev forces performance against the self-defense fighters. Blame Russian boys on service leave or clandestine arms support, all the same: you lose, you lose. And it feels like it. Especially when your government was talking about having full control of Donbas by October.

Debt, military defeat and winter on the way. It is arguably bleaker in Kiev than it is in Donbas.

Poroshenko has practically metamorphosed into Yanukovych. He has delayed implementing the Association Agreement for 15 months, granted local autonomy for 3 years to Donbas and will be negotiating how to get through this winter with Russia. Certain people in Kiev and other areas of Western Ukraine don't like this and are beginning to suggest that since he's beginning to look so much like Yanukovych, he may soon join him. Dmytro Yarosh has said as much on his Facebook.

Kiev is a pot on the stove—if an eye is not kept on it, it'll boil over. Poroshenko needs to hold out over the winter. Another Maidan would see a radical right vector government and Minsk will be worth about as much as Ukraine has in it's treasury.
By roxunreal
Martin Kalyniuk wrote:Because after several incidents of just such violence Russian-speaking Ukrainians armed themselves and closed off access to their cities and towns to the new government and their extremist right vector battalions.

I don't think you quite get it, there's millions of ethnic Russians and Russian speakers outside the areas the separatists control that aren't being massacred or exiled by Ukrainian forces, at all. Slavyansk is crawling with Ukrainian forces yet you don't see any campaign of retribution against Russians/Russian speakers do you? So as far as Ukrainian authorities wanting to "put a bullet into every Russian", it's pure unadulterated fear mongering propaganda almost on par with the megalomaniac bullshit coming out of North Korea in terms of its hilarious absurdity and distance from the real world.

Far-Right Sage wrote:Rox, if he is a Kiev and NATO-loyal type of fellow, then he best stay in Kiev until that's liberated too and there will be nothing "temporary" about it, because the only minds in which Crimea's return to the Russian motherland is at all temporary are those of some very deluded chauvinist characters in Lviv.

Temporary in the sense that she has family in Crimea but also having a semblance of human decency does not have the stomach to suddenly move 30 years backwards from the European benchmark on the timeline of human political evolution and live under Putin, so no, I don't actually think she will "live" in her hometown in any permanent manner anymore. Good on her, as home is where like minded people are.
By Rugoz
pikachu wrote:Six major mutually-hostile nationalist factions and not a single representative of the country's east, from Odessa to Dnepropetrovsk, set amidst the backdrop of military defeat and rapidly declining economic fortunes.

According to polls I've seen not a single right-wing or "neo-nazi" party will get more than 5% of the votes. Not sure what you mean by nationalist in this context, after all its a national election. Also there will be representatives from the east obviously. The elections won't be perfect as usual but OSCE presence should at least make them acceptable. I'm not saying the situation is rosy, but fact is the the fighting has more or less ended, and that is a good thing.

That Kiev was going to lose Donbass was kind of clear from the beginning, I don't think the Ukrainian leadership had any delusions in that regard, despite the rhetoric. Of course fighting the separatists was necessary in order to stop their advance and force Russia to an even more open intervention resulting in more serious EU sanctions. The goal is to make it is a costly for Putin as possible.

Martin Kalyniuk wrote:Poroshenko has practically metamorphosed into Yanukovych.

Well he hardly has a choice. He has to deal with Russian imperialism just as Yanukovych had to.
roxunreal wrote:
I don't think you quite get it, there's millions of ethnic Russians and Russian speakers outside the areas the separatists control that aren't being massacred or exiled by Ukrainian forces, at all.

You can't tell who speaks Russian in Ukraine by just looking at them. You can by where they live. Again, not everyone who can speak Russian is necessarily religiously and politically aligned with the Russian Federation (like your friend who went to Kiev). But in certain regions that is a given.

If you wanted to target Russian-speaking, pro-Russia, Russian Orthodox Ukrainians, you couldn't round them up in Lvov or Kiev. You'd go to those areas where they live in almost uniform populations.

You asked why there was so little violence against unarmed Russian-speaking Ukrainians (which is not true anyway: the number of civilians killed in the "anti-terrorist" operation has been raised to 3,000+ and the number of injured and refugees has gone up as well), I gave you the answer. It's because they armed themselves and the area where the right vector would have made a killing, so to speak, was cut off to them.

roxunreal wrote:Temporary in the sense that she has family in Crimea but also having a semblance of human decency does not have the stomach to suddenly move 30 years backwards from the European benchmark on the timeline of human political evolution and live under Putin, so no, I don't actually think she will "live" in her hometown in any permanent manner anymore. Good on her, as home is where like minded people are.

Nice. Crimeans/Russians don't have even a semblance of human decency. Wonder where her family that stayed figure on this reasoning? Just like that! She has human decency because she moved to Kiev—and they, and everyone else, have none because they stay in Crimea (where the electricity is on all day...).

As for human political evolution. Let's see whose employment index and GDP is better after 10 years of Crimea in the Russian Federation. Whether you compare it with Western Ukraine in 10 years or with the past when Crimea was part of Ukraine—guarantee it's going to be better by far.

Silly, just very silly. The European benchmark? The EU's economy is stalled and in deflation. Their share of the global GDP even on the most benign assumptions is forecast to drop by 5 or 6 percent by 2020 (perhaps even below 20%). The Association Agreement locks Western Ukraine into loans from European banks and cuts them off from the growing Eurasian market. Throw in the expensive conditional reforms stipulated in the 900 page document (which no one who talks or riots about it has ever even read) and add on the need to find or develop a new source of gas and heating.

While China, India, Japan, Russia (all emerging powers taken by themselves) and others work together, Ukraine is tying itself down to a sinking ship.

And as for the question of systems of governance in principle, actual human political evolution is leaving behind and moving beyond the outdated and conspicuously failed Western Liberal democracy "one-size-fits-all" paradigm. Which is a Euro-Atlanticist ideal that is more than 30 years behind the real emerging world of today.

Rugoz wrote:Well he hardly has a choice. He has to deal with Russian imperialism just as Yanukovych had to.

If by Russian imperialism you mean the historical, cultural, religious and economic inter-dependency between Ukraine and Russia, then yes. He too has to deal with Russian imperialism.

Lol nobody is going to give us anything, of cours[…]

I said it was a mouthpiece of the government. Res[…]

Only a few morons that think giving up what litt[…]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuElCXHtiG4 Ex-Is[…]