This winter, we'll see the full effects of the treehugger rule over Europe - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Going to be very interdasting. I'm looking forward to a painful lesson being meted out.

Why, I can hear the sound of pipes bursting as apartments and homes go to 49 degrees. :D

Brilliant Angela Merkel (Mutti) and all the other leftist numbskulls have done a great service to their countryfolk!

BlutoSays wrote:

Going to be very interesting. I'm looking forward to a painful lesson being meted out.

I am sure you are.

France has restarted it's nuke plants, and I expect other countries to follow their lead, if they can. We are sending LNG to Europe, and they are getting gas from other sources. American diplomats have suddenly gotten more reasonable with Iran, so I expect their oil to be headed to Europe soon.

But I am curious, why do you never learn from your painful lessons?

Europe already has, so what's holding you back?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Lol.

Europe is using more coal than ever.

There is no reason for conservatives to fear that people are going to do anything about climate change.

What rock have you been living under? Apart from Poland, which still uses a ridiculous amount of coal for heating and electricity, everyone has spent the last 7 or 8 years cutting coal consumption. Huge investments in renewable energy sources. Nuclear power is coming back but it is going to get tough over winter, no doubt.

Europe Is Turning to Coal. What Does That Mean for Climate Change?

Juan Forero: Yeah. Europe has been trying, the United States and many other places have been talking about moving away from coal. And what we're seeing is the exact opposite right now. We're seeing the world turning toward coal. Let me just give you this important statistic. I spoke to the International Energy Agency. They just came out with a report that said that global coal consumption this year will match 2013, which was a record. This is from a report that just came out the other day. And they're saying that they estimate that that is going to increase next year. So let me make this point more clear. We're going to be consuming more coal next year. More coal than ever before.

Ryan Knutson: But consuming this much coal was not part of Europe's original plans, especially when it comes to climate change. That's after the break. With the world producing more coal, Europe has a better chance of getting the energy it needs to keep the lights on and homes heated through the upcoming winter. But Europe has spent the last decade trying to wean itself off of fossil fuels like coal, and transition to cleaner sources of energy. How much dirtier is coal than other types of energy?

German energy giant RWE to burn extra coal as Russian gas supplies dwindle

The chief financial officer of German energy firm RWE
told CNBC Thursday that it will burn more coal in the short term — but insists its plans to be carbon neutral in the future remain in place.

“And that’s why, just from a corporate citizen’s perspective, we feel it is our duty to support the German government in bringing back capacity in the short term — but to be very clear, it doesn’t change our strategy,” he added.

“So while [in the] short term we have to burn additional coal, it needs to be clear that there needs to be an acceleration of building out renewables so that we still meet ... targets in the medium and long-term.”

The company said it had invested approximately 2 billion euros in expanding its green portfolio in the first half of 2022. “Total investments will come to more than 5 billion [euros] by the end of 2022,” it added.

Electricity generation from renewables was around 20% higher in this period compared to the first half of 2021, it said, citing improved wind conditions and increased capacity.
BlutoSays wrote:Going to be very interdasting. I'm looking forward to a painful lesson being meted out.

Interdasting is not even a word. And English is your native language. Ok then... :eh:

Brilliant Angela Merkel (Mutti) and all the other leftist numbskulls have done a great service to their countryfolk!

Are ya jealous because you aren't as famous as she is, a woman? I dare you to try to manage a country. I bet you would fail at it during the first week. :p

People sure like to criticize so vociferously even though they are nowhere near qualified to manage a government or country. They probably cannot even manage their education that well. :hmm:

You criticize liberals. Have you criticized conservatives? I don't think you have. Let's make it even, show us how you can criticize conservatives. Deal?
wat0n wrote:@Pants-of-dog so nuclear is green now? Interesting. When did this happen? :knife:

When the ratio of energy produced to energy invested over the entire life cycle of the project (including environmental remediation) became comparable to solar, wind, and hydro.

I am perfectly happy with disseminating the knowledge developed by the Pentagon and other western militaries (that created those wonderful, little, self sustaining nuclear systems that military submarines use) to all the developing countries of the world.
MistyTiger wrote:Interdasting is not even a word. And English is your native language. Ok then... :eh:

Are ya jealous because you aren't as famous as she is, a woman? I dare you to try to manage a country. I bet you would fail at it during the first week. :p

People sure like to criticize so vociferously even though they are nowhere near qualified to manage a government or country. They probably cannot even manage their education that well. :hmm:

You criticize liberals. Have you criticized conservatives? I don't think you have. Let's make it even, show us how you can criticize conservatives. Deal?

Just sit down and look pretty.

September 2018

Outside of him repeating himself a few times, he's spot on.

OTOH, we have the DNC pulling its pud over racism and wokeness all day and NOT looking out strategically in future years at any problems THEY ARE CREATING through inaction and beholden to their idiot ideology, rather than common sense.

I know democrats are believers, not thinkers, but at least TRY something different, FFS.

Last edited by BlutoSays on 03 Sep 2022 21:02, edited 2 times in total.
Pants-of-dog wrote:When the ratio of energy produced to energy invested over the entire life cycle of the project (including environmental remediation) became comparable to solar, wind, and hydro.

I am perfectly happy with disseminating the knowledge developed by the Pentagon and other western militaries (that created those wonderful, little, self sustaining nuclear systems that military submarines use) to all the developing countries of the world.

When did this happen? Are you saying this energy balance (not the same as an economic one) has only been positive recently?

@late right, but you can't deny the change in the discourse is notable. Suddenly climate change is more dangerous than Chernobyl/Fukushima/Three Mile Island
wat0n wrote:When did this happen? Are you saying this energy balance (not the same as an economic one) has only been positive recently?

I have no idea.

I see you do not disagree that massive government intervention and the free dissemination of nuclear technology are good ideas.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I have no idea.

I see you do not disagree that massive government intervention and the free dissemination of nuclear technology are good ideas.

For civilian purposes, yes.

It's inevitable too.

But then, what's your cutoff here?

To me, it seems this relabeling of nuclear energy is solely because it turned out relying too much on Russia wasn't a good idea. And it's to justify hedging risk.
wat0n wrote:For civilian purposes, yes.

It's inevitable too.

But then, what's your cutoff here?

Why would there be a cutoff?

To me, it seems this relabeling of nuclear energy is solely because it turned out relying too much on Russia wasn't a good idea. And it's to justify hedging risk.

No.

The thing with Russia is being used to justify record levels of coal use in Europe, despite facts like climate change.

I respect the hustle. But when it comes to FAFSA […]

'State of panic' as Putin realises he cannot wi[…]

And it was also debunked.

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]