How to avoid positive liberty to be absurdity? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Modern liberalism. Civil rights and liberties, State responsibility to the people (welfare).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Arminius
Order wrote:So are you saying Rawls theory is one in which multiple theories of the good cannot co-exist?

No no no, you misunderstand me.

What I said it that I like liberalism in the sense of being a system where people with different conceptions of what is desirable (like atheists, Jews, Christians, Stoics, Buddhists etc etc etc) may co-exist, rather than as a doctrine the way Objectivism is compared to other strains of libertarianism.

From what I understand, this is the point of the overlapping consensus.
By Order
Arminius wrote:No no no, you misunderstand me.

What I said it that I like liberalism in the sense of being a system where people with different conceptions of what is desirable (like atheists, Jews, Christians, Stoics, Buddhists etc etc etc) may co-exist, rather than as a doctrine the way Objectivism is compared to other strains of libertarianism.

From what I understand, this is the point of the overlapping consensus.

Alright, yes, that is certainly correct. Rawls acknowledged that there are incommensurable differences in our assessment of what is good and tried to establish a minimal consensus for a just society that allows everybody to pursue his/her own good.
By Zerogouki
Is a starving illiterate free in any meaningful sense?

Yes, as long as his or her rights are not being infringed.
By Dr House
The more important question then is, though, would he give a shit that he's "free"?
By Order
Dr House wrote:The more important question then is, though, would he give a shit that he's "free"?

Exactly, how would freedom for him be in any way valuable...
By Ademir
Zerogouki wrote:Is a starving illiterate free in any meaningful sense?

Yes, as long as his or her rights are not being infringed.

This is what's so great about society today - even when I'm starving and uneducated, I'm still free to buy and sell shares, engage in property development and engage in meaningful political discussions
By Dr House
You're also free to feed yourself and become educated. ;)
By Cheesecake_Marmalade
Yes, negative freedom are the only things that can truly be considered freedoms, but what you have right there is an argument that assumes too much. Just because negative freedom is the only true measure of freedom, that doesn't mean that freedom is an important concept in the first place, and likewise that doesn't mean that positive freedom can't be important. There are a few things that are undoubtedly important for any government to implement if the government's purpose is to promote quality of life.

This selection of things comes from both sides of the aisle, negative and positive freedoms. The problem with focusing on one freedom too much in any type of populist society is that at some point it ceases to become populist and starts focusing on something else too much. I don't think anything can be considered more important than the people that the government is meant to be representing, so if the government ignores a duty to its people in favor of idealism, be it either freedom, then that government has failed.

Dude, YouTube is your source? You are not a serio[…]

What do the tweets say? ——————— So with Palestin[…]

World War II Day by Day

They are words that will always ring true. So lo[…]

“Whenever the government provides opportunities […]