Why do leftists assume that they're centrists? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Modern liberalism. Civil rights and liberties, State responsibility to the people (welfare).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By DanDaMan
I've seen a lot of leftists, like Brook, who seem to be under a grand delusion that they're relatively centrist and everyone else in the world (like the Democrats) is right-wing to some extent or another. This delusion seems to be especially popular in Europe. Can someone explain this phenomenon to me? Europe is not centrist by any reasonable standard.

All of Europe has socialized medicine. Because of that normal aceptance of that makes you centrist with that status quo.
It's perspective of the population.

Here in America where we do not have socialized medicine and we see free healthcare as to the left.
Democrats also see Europe as centrist and therefore think their equal social agenda makes them equally centrist.
By Zerogouki
Also, we use weighting in statistics and those countries with more political clout would probably count more.

Why? A nation's clout in international matters usually has very little to do with how far left, right, libertarian, or authoritarian it is. Remember Nazi Germany? That's a pretty hard 180 from today's Europe.

Other countries might look at their successes and follow them.

But they became successful back when they were imperialist monarchies. So I guess imperialist monarchies should be given the most weight, eh?
By redcarpet
All of Europe has socialized medicine

False. They have universal healthcare. All but 2 countries in the world have it, the US and South Africa. Whining about simply Europe is a joke.
By PBVBROOK
False. They have universal healthcare. All but 2 countries in the world have it, the US and South Africa. Whining about simply Europe is a joke.

No. Saying that only two countries in the world do not have universal health care is a joke. It is not even close to the truth.
By Nandi
What a pointless discussion, it all depends on your viewpoint. Seen from Europe and much of Asia, America is a rightist country. Seen from America, Europe and much of Asia would be considered to the left of mainstream US politics. When the need arises to define world politics in absolute terms, common sense dictates the Europe-Asia perspective be used, seeing that those continents comprise the majority of world population and a multitude of countries. America is one sole country and it's rightist politics should be seen as a quirk.
By TropicalK
Asia = left? Is this other people's opinion too as I've always viewed Asia as more right than America.
By redcarpet
Saying that only two countries in the world do not have universal health care is a joke

The US and South Africa don't have UHC. The rest of the world does, that is a fact.
By hip hop bunny hop
^^^

That map is inaccurate at least in regard to Equatorial Guinea. Their constitution guarantees health care and they're currently (and have been for over 1 decade) cooperating with the African Development Bank to improve public health care.
By Zerogouki
common sense dictates the Europe-Asia perspective be used

No. Common sense dictates that the global average be used.
By The Clockwork Rat
Common sense should only be considered as a starting point to find out the truth.

I think I can agree that Europe is probably the most socially liberal, most socially tolerant, region in the world. I don't have much understanding of economics still so I can't say much about that. I think, Zerogouki, I have changed my mind. I wouldn't put it as hatefully as you though, Europe being more liberal doesn't mean that it's full of disease ridden, drug abusing whores.
By Zerogouki
Hey, I happen to like disease-ridden, drug-abusing whores. It's the welfarists, the politically correct gaywads, and the anti-gun nuts who annoy me.
By Huntster
Seen from Europe and much of Asia, America is a rightist country.

If we want to "see" from Europe and much of Asia, we'd move there.

But we don't.

Seen from America, Europe and much of Asia would be considered to the left of mainstream US politics.

Yup. That's what I consider.

When the need arises to define world politics in absolute terms, common sense dictates the Europe-Asia perspective be used, seeing that those continents comprise the majority of world population and a multitude of countries.

When would that "need arise"? When you say it does?

Does that provide some sort of utility?

America is one sole country and it's rightist politics should be seen as a quirk.

Yeah, so I'd advise ya'll to forget all about America. Quirky motherfuckers. You don't need 'em, and they're damned sure tired of ya'll.
By Figlio di Moros
Zerogouki wrote:Hey, I happen to like disease-ridden, drug-abusing whores.

Mind if I sig this?
By Nandi
Zerogouki wrote:No. Common sense dictates that the global average be used.

And the global average places the US firmly to the right.

Huntster wrote:If we want to "see" from Europe and much of Asia, we'd move there.

The OP asked why the world tends to see see American politics as rightish. Your constant need for US-centric thinking is irrelevant to the discussion.

Huntster wrote:When would that "need arise"? When you say it does?

When the discussion arises where to place American politics in the grand political equilibrium.
By Zerogouki
And the global average places the US firmly to the right.

What the hell are you talking about? The US is to the left of just about any country that isn't Canada, Europe, Australia, or Japan.
By Nandi
You just described 34 countries. I could reasonably add another bunch of countries to that list.
By Zerogouki
And with over 100 countries in the world...

*does complex maths*

Yup, that puts most of the world to our right.
By William_H_Dougherty
Well,

From a Canadian point of view, Liberals (i.e. members of the Liberal Party of Canada) generally are people who govern from the centre (some would say centre-right) but campaign from the left.

i.e. Their track records indicates that they are Free Trade supporters, that they understand that business and corporate tax cuts are essential to a healthy economy, and that Government Spending/Programs have to be cut in bad economic times.

They would never admit this in platform or party document, but this is the reality of Liberal Party of Canada in Government during the 1990s and 2000s.

They have once again become left-wing in opposition, but who knows if this is just talk yet again.

- WHD

P.S. Err...for the benefit of the American audience, when it comes to social issues they are generally split (same sex marriage, etc.), with a slight leaning towards progressive policies. Social conservatism is not particularly a strong force in Canadian politics, both Conservative and Liberal Parties focus primarily on the economy.

P.S.S.
What the hell are you talking about? The US is to the left of just about any country that isn't Canada, Europe, Australia, or Japan.

I could make an effective argument that the U.S. Administration is currently very FAR to the left of the current Canadian Government (or even their Liberal Predecessors).
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Say what ? Stalins soviet union could not find a[…]

Ridiculous. That is simple. A race is a populatio[…]

Legal Analysis by University Network for HumanRigh[…]

@annatar1914 That video of the Black Sun is abou[…]