6 months ago! The Fall of Baghdad! - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of the Middle East.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
By jaakko
About the statue incident. I saw it live on tv. It took a long time. It was in the early moments when I saw the wide view of the area and noticed how small the mob was. First there were the dozen or couple of dozen people (supposedly Iraqis) trying to bring it down. Obviously this mob was unable to do it. The moment when the US armored engineer vehicle came was at the very end of the incident. It came in and pulled the statue down. During that stage of the incident, I couldn't see much else than zoomed in view, but I didn't see more folks coming in either. It was a little later when I found the pics on the internet and they matched my impression of the media spectacle.

About the kisser. There are photos of it somewhere online. I'll try and find them.
By smashthestate
GandalfTheGrey wrote:
smashthestate wrote:It's easy to prove. At the top-right of the picture, look how much traffic is piled up behind the blockades. Now compare that traffic (and even the lighting) to the below picture. They are obviously not taken at the same time, so spare me!

It doesn't mean its not a picture of the same incident. The traffic could have dissapeared within minutes (to make way for more American tanks). And if you look at the first picture, with the yellow circles indicating the American tanks, you will find the same tanks, in exactly the same position in the other picture.

If you look close, the tanks AREN'T in the same positions. Yes there are tanks around, and lots of them. You should also notice that the vehicle which was used to pull down the statue isn't there indicating that his picture was taken before the event, and that the top picture was taken during.

Why are we arguing about this again? Was it staged? I seriously doubt it. Even if it was, so what?
By jaakko
smashthestate wrote:You should also notice that the vehicle which was used to pull down the statue isn't there indicating that his picture was taken before the event, and that the top picture was taken during.

The armoured engineer vehicle is there, indicating that the picture was taken at the very final moments of the event. There was no other vehicle in the middle of that mob. The MBTs were around the place from the beginning, the engineer vehicle came in at the end.
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
Ok...Elemntary Calculus 101: For Dummies...

So a coupla hundred cars in a build up magically went away in a couple of minutes and the sun came out in full force when it was completly cloudy just before. LOL.

I know Elemntary Caluculus 101 is quite a bit far off from your 7th grade math class...but I would still excpet you to be able to count cars.

Lets do a count of how many vehicles are visible in the zoomed out photo...

*whips out calculator*

1,2,3,4.....12,13,14....26!!! There are 26 vehicles visible in that photo. Of these...only 2 appear to be "civilian" vehicles.

Very simple math....and you managed to get an F even on this test :roll:

Are there hundreds of vehicles??? Clearly not...even the ones that are there are US Army vehicles.

How many vehicles are visible in the more zoomed in photo??

Its a bit hard to make out due to the poor quality of the photo...but its about 20-25 civilian vehicles...and another 9-10 US Army vehicles. Hmm...yes indeed a crowd of titanic proportions...

Secondly...does it really matter that its at a different time frame from the other picture?? Do you think 3000 people came 5 minutes later...and then left 5 minutes after the statue was pulled down??

The "sun in full force" and "cloudy" comment is a bit ridiculous...the sun isn't out in neither of the pictures...and the one that seems cloudy just looks that way becasue of the poor quality of the picture....in most likelyhood...the two aren't even 30 minutes appart.

Hmm...its clear...there were no more than 50 people at the pulling of the statue...

And yes I would expect Chalabi's men to be there...but the problem is...that if there are 50 people there...and Chalabi's men are there...in most likelyhood...most if not ALL the people there...are Chalabi's men :roll:

And, from watching the footage as it was happening, I can safetly say it hardly looks staged (if by staged you mean the placing of Chalaibi's guys or whatever, then we're saying the same thing- otherwise feel free to correct me), the yanks had to bring in a repair and recovery vehicle to pull the statue down, and it still took hours. If it was staged, why did it take so long?

How long should it have taken?? They brought in Chalabi's men...they closed off the square...they brought in the cameras...they staged a little celebration...they brought in the recovery vehicle to pull it down...they staged another little celebration of Chalabi's men dancing in the streets...and then send the journalists back to the Palestine Hotel for a well-deserved nap.
By Efrem Da King
EXACTLY there are 27 on one and about 100 on the other. Your not very quick are you.
By smashthestate
Tovarish Spetsnaz wrote:1,2,3,4.....12,13,14....26!!! There are 26 vehicles visible in that photo. Of these...only 2 appear to be "civilian" vehicles.

What I want to know is this...

How on Earth were you able to determine if the cars in the orange circle were civilian or military? I can't imagine how anyone would be able to decipher this.

By Efrem Da King
No I think he gets the 27 from the other one that we're comparing the one with heaps of cars to.
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
Elemnatry Calculus: Lesson # 2

When I say the most zoomed out picture...I mean the most zoomed out picture.

Even in the more zoomed in picture...as I said...if you squint really hard...you won't be able to count more than 25-30 cars either!!!

As I said...I know you are 13...but I would still expect you to know the difference between 25-30 cars and 100 :roll:
By ihavenoname
And your point is??

Media is a tool? NO! Can't be!..... :roll:

If you're so busy posting pictures Tovarish- why dont you start a thread with some cool Iraq pictures and some cool Israeli/arab war pictures. I'd love to see them.
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
I'v pretty much emptied out my Arab-Israeli war picture archives...but I have quite a few more good ones (including of destroyed Merkavas :eek: )...but I'm saving those up for my own website of some day (don't want to give out the best material yet ;))
By ihavenoname
Well- let me know when you get your site up- I'll be sure to show the Mossad. :D
By smashthestate
Yes, the Iraqi people will be thrilled to have Tovarish as their next Iraq Information Minister.

"There are no Americans in Iraq, the evil Infidels are lying to you! We have crushed their invasion and our benevolent leader, Saddam, is napping in his mansion right now!

The Americans have killed 60 trillion people! Why do you say Iraq is the enemy? What's that? There aren't 60 trillion people on Earth? Lies! KILL THIS AMERICAN PIG-DOG!"

;) <-- indicates a joke.
Last edited by smashthestate on 11 Oct 2003 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
Repugs aren't funny...so stop trying...
By MB.
[lies]Smashthestate is an evil crusader. He thinks his is junoir Bush's warrior but this is a lie! Right now, he is commiting suicide with his shoes at the gates of Baghdad. His pants will burn in the fires of twelve snakes for all of eternity![/lies]

Oooooh Saracasim. Where would we be without it.
By smashthestate
Mr Bill wrote:Oooooh Saracasim. Where would we be without it.

In a boring world, Mr Bill... A very boring world.
By Efrem Da King
I love the iraqi information minister!!! I wonder whatever happened to him??

I just read a few satires by Juvenal, and I still[…]

@Potemkin nails it. You're a smart dude, Potemk[…]

It seems from this quote that you are itching to […]

Everyone knows the answer to this question. The […]