Israel's 9th Nobel prize - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of the Middle East.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
By Dempsey
Last update - 14:21 07/10/2009

Israeli scientist wins Nobel Prize in chemistry

By Haaretz Service

Tags: Israel news

Israeli scientist Ada Yonath, a leading researcher in the structural biology field, was awarded a Nobel Prize in chemistry on Wednesday, the Nobel committee in Stockholm announced. Yonath shares the prize with Britain's Venkatraman Ramakrishnan and Thomas A. Steitz, an American, for studies of the structure and function of the ribosome.

Yonath has focused her research on the structure of the ribosome, a part of the cell that synthesizes protein and translates genetic code in the production of protein.

Yonath was the first Israeli biologist to work with NASA in sending research material to outer space. She cooperated with NASA on 12 missions. Her research contributed greatly to the development of more effective antibiotics, which can overcome phenomenon of drug resistant pathogens.
Advertisement

Yonath is the fourth woman to win the Nobel chemistry prize and the first since 1964, when Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin of Britain received the prize.

"I'm really, really happy," Yonath said after being informed of her victory. "I thought it was wonderful when the discovery came. It was a series of discoveries...We still don't know every, everything, but we progressed a lot."

Yonath is a professor and head researcher in the field of structural biology and biochemistry at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot.

She has won many prizes for her research in recent years, including the Israel Prize in Chemistry and the Wolf Prize in Chemistry.

This year's three laureates all generated three-dimensional models that show how different antibiotics bind to ribosomes.

"These models are now used by scientists in order to develop new antibiotics, directly assisting the saving of lives and decreasing humanity's suffering," the academy said in its announcement.
"All three have used a method called X-ray crystallography to map the position for each and every one of the hundreds of thousands of atoms that make up the ribosome," the academy said.

Alfred Nobel, a Swedish industrialist who invented dynamite, established the Nobel Prizes in his will in 1895. The first awards were handed out six years later.

Each prize comes with a 10 million kronor [$1.4 million] purse, a diploma, a gold medal and an invitation to the prize ceremony in Stockholm on Dec. 10. The Peace Prize is handed out in Oslo.

Israeli physicist Yakir Aharonov lost the Nobel Prize for physics, despite predictions that he was likely to win. The committee awarded the the physics prize to engineers who developed the mechanism used in digital photography, preferring to award the prize to practical technology that could be used on a daily basis rather than the theoretical physics which Aharonov focused on.

The last Israeli to receive a Nobel Prize was Yisrael Robert Aumann, who was awarded the prize in economics in 2005 for his work on conflict and cooperation through game-theory analysis. He shared the prize with Thomas Schelling.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1119429.html

By Nets
The last Israeli to receive a Nobel Prize was Yisrael Robert Aumann, who was awarded the prize in economics in 2005 for his work on conflict and cooperation through game-theory analysis.

This was very controversial, because Aumann is a hard-core rightist. It is actually interesting, a lot of his commentary on the conflict is from a game theoretic perspective.
By War Angel
Only 9?

"An A- ?! No Channukah-gelt for you!"
By datsun280z
9 women since the first aword .. she's the first woman to recieve the aword since 1964 !! salute !! congratulations !!
A great honor to a small country !
By Nets
Jewish Nobel Prize winners

link wrote: * Chemistry (30 prize winners, 20% of world total, 28% of US total)
* Economics (26 prize winners, 42% of world total, 56% of US total)
* Literature (13 prize winners, 12% of world total, 27% of US total)
* Physics (47 prize winners, 26% of world total, 37% of US total)
* Physiology or Medicine (53 prize winners, 28% of world total, 41% of US total)
By War Angel
Jewish Nobel Prize winners

JEWS, not Israelis. We've been so busy being world-class asskickers, we didn't have time for the good old Jewish past-time of making other people feel inadequate about their intellectual achievements. :(
By Celtic Communism
Israel's average IQ level is 94. Israelis won't be making any worthwhile nations feeling inadequate anytime soon.
By War Angel
Israel's average IQ level is 94. Israelis won't be making any worthwhile nations feeling inadequate anytime soon.

Another reason to expel the Arabs.

(Yes, I went there. No, I would not like a card, thankyouverymuch)
By Kman

CC why does the Islamic world not contribute with any scientific breakthroughs, while Israel does so on a regular basis?
By Celtic Communism
Another reason to expel the Arabs.

(Yes, I went there. No, I would not like a card, thankyouverymuch)

Would that also include the Sephardic Jews?

CC why does the Islamic world not contribute with any scientific breakthroughs, while Israel does so on a regular basis?

I've watched Zionist propaganda showing me Israel's "great" scientific breakthroughs. I was not very impressed. My people, the Scots, have much more breakthroughs than the Israelis.
By Doomhammer

An average IQ would be 100 points because a 100 IQ represents the average in any given place. Therefore the average IQ of Israel is 100 points, unless the Israelis were subject to an IQ test prepared for another country.
By Beirut

Get a clue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_scientists
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ar ... d_scholars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventions ... Golden_Age
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_in_medieval_Islam

+ a Lebanese, Hassan Kamel Al-Sabbah was a technological innovator whose inventions in electricity had a great impact on the development of 20th century technology. ;)
+ his many inventions in Space Industry (Solar power), Automotive Industry, Television and Cathode Ray Tube Application, Power Generating Station, Pressure and Temperature Electric Instrumentation, Heavy Industry: Development of New Arc Welding Methods...
There are three patents on television-transmission of pictures and views (1928-30) and two patents on cathode ray tube (1935). GE research engineers at Schenectady N.Y. developed the [liquid crystal display] (LCD) instrument system based on the original patents of Hasan Kamel Al-Sabbah. It is the world’s largest high resolution LCD panel for aircraft. It presents information in color, and with twice the sharpness of a home TV screen. The display owes its high resolution to the large number of pixels (dots) that are activated to form an image on its screen. LCD images are normally black and green filters. Further development and modifications of the Al-Sabbah [cathode ray tube] created new types of CRT used in electronic systems. The television would not have been invented without this.

http://www.youngngenius.com/modules/new ... storyid=58
C.G. Marcy, the personnel director of General Electric Company, used these words to describe Hassan Kamel Al-Sabbah in a letter dated April 16, 1935:

"It is indeed unfortunate that his genius mind should be brought to such an untimely end. His death is a great loss for the world of invention."

+ the Hindu decimal zero and its new mathematics spread from the Arab world to Europe in the Middle Ages. :lol:
where were you,bitchesssss?!?!
Last edited by Beirut on 07 Oct 2009 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
By Oxymoron
Compared to Jews, no other groups has had the number of achievements compared to population numbers, excluding the Chinese perhaps.
By Kman
Beirut this golden age was not something Islam created, during this golden age the muslim populations were still in the minority in most of the middle east. The golden age was simply the last remnants of the pre-islamic culture doing their thing before their scientific culture got overpowered and subjugated by Islam.

Science in the middle east has been in a steady decline in the last 1000 years or more and it is because of Islam, it is a religion that treats thinkers and people that question the rules of society as horrible people that should be killed. If you kill off the smart people in your society for long enough, then your culture will not be able to do any advanced science after a while.
By Nets
CC is just grumpy that the Jews are independent, the Scots are not.
By Beirut
Beirut this golden age was not something Islam created, during this golden age the muslim populations were still in the minority in most of the middle east. The golden age was simply the last remnants of the pre-islamic culture doing their thing before their scientific culture got overpowered and subjugated by Islam.

Science in the middle east has been in a steady decline in the last 1000 years or more and it is because of Islam, it is a religion that treats thinkers and people that question the rules of society as horrible people that should be killed.

Utter crap.
Howard R. Turner writes: "Muslim artists and scientists, princes and laborers together made a unique culture that has directly and indirectly influenced societies on every continent."
There is many many verses in the Quran that urge Muslims to search for knowledge.Anyway, search for it, i am not willing to argue with an islamophobic.
All the wealth of knowledge has emanated from Muslim civilization and their contributions.
In spite of that, a Lebanese is the father/co founder of many inventions including electricity and television.
Peace
By ThereBeDragons
How many Scottish Nobel prize winners are there?
By War Angel
How many Scottish Nobel prize winners are there?

I don't know, but they really should get one for the kilt. GOD, I wish I could wear one, just like that, to work or where-ever... :(
By Celtic Communism
Our heyday in terms of inventions, the beginning of the industrial revolution, was before the Nobel Prize ceremony existed. I would include our philosophy and literary as being greater than Israel. I honestly can not think of any Israeli philosopher or writer of note, but we all surely can think of Scottish ones.

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]

The more time passes, the more instances of harass[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]