Israel's 9th Nobel prize - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of the Middle East.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
By War Angel
Our heyday in terms of inventions, the beginning of the industrial revolution, was before the Nobel Prize ceremony existed.

Sorry, doesn't count. I don't care if you guys invented the wheel, toilet paper or sliced bread.

I would include our philosophy and literary as being greater than Israel.

Okay, I'll start : the Bible, Maimonides, Spinoza and quantum physics. Now, you have a go. :)

I honestly can not think of any Israeli philosopher or writer of note, but we all surely can think of Scottish ones.

Maybe that's because you are totally ignorant? :eh:
By Brio
War Angel wrote:I don't know, but they really should get one for the kilt. GOD, I wish I could wear one, just like that, to work or where-ever...

You mentioned in a previous thread that the Jews are a 'sneaky' people. Couldn't you and your kin just appropriate the kilt from the Scots and claim it as your own?
By Celtic Communism
Sorry, doesn't count. I don't care if you guys invented the wheel, toilet paper or sliced bread.

It does not count, ok, but then why do you mention a silly book more than a thousand years previous to our heyday?

Okay, I'll start : the Bible, Maimonides, Spinoza and quantum physics. Now, you have a go.

And just how exactly are they even marginally connected to the state of Israel?

Hume is greater than any Israeli philosopher, that should not even be put forward for debate. We have Louis Stevenson, Carlyle, and Conan Doyle famous world wide for writing, and our national poet is famous world wide too. Israel just simply can not compare.

Maybe that's because you are totally ignorant?

Name some near the standards of the people I have just listed.
By chaostrivia
This year Israel should have gotten 2 nobel prizes.

Israel's Yakir Aharonov and UK's David Bohm (oh yeah, he is jewish) of the famous Bohm-Aharonov effect were nominated for the 2009 prize in physics but unfortunately the much less-important achievements of kao Boyle and Smith were selected.

The Bohm Aharonov effect relates with the basic foundations of the applied quantum electromagnetism. Everyone who wants to get a bachelor degree in physics should know the Bohm-Aharonov equation. I think that comparing LCD technology with the Bohm-Aharonov effect is like ..... preferring comics over van-Gogh for a painting competition...

In my humble opinion, they did not win the prize only because of the 4 Israelis who won in the last 4 years.... "too much Israel" .....
By Doomhammer
I would include our philosophy and literary as being greater than Israel. I honestly can not think of any Israeli philosopher or writer of note, but we all surely can think of Scottish ones.

While we can attribute a lot of great things to Scotland (Adam Smith, John Stuart Mill, Hume etc.), the Jewish people have been one of the most prolific people in history where innovation is concerned. Your argument that Israel hasn't invented anything is silly given that Israel is at the forefront of military technology and weapons systems (ones that it develops). Besides, the country has been around for 60 years and it is unreasonable to expect paradigm shifting ideas to develop so quickly.

For the record, Israel is immensely more useful than Scotland today. The present matters most.
By War Angel
You mentioned in a previous thread that the Jews are a 'sneaky' people. Couldn't you and your kin just appropriate the kilt from the Scots and claim it as your own?

Well, two things:

1) Jewish sneakiness against other Jews is like fighting fire with fire... very fun and messy, but won't get you very far.
2) It's not that we need the kilt to be 'ours', we wear shirts and trousers and we didn't invent those... it's just that kilts are skirts, and skirts are mostly for women. I wish people would realise kilts are manly. :(

It does not count, ok, but then why do you mention a silly book more than a thousand years previous to our heyday?

Because you talked about history. That's history.

And just how exactly are they even marginally connected to the state of Israel?

The State of Israel is an entity, it doesn't write or invent anything. The Jewish people, which originate in Israel, do however write and invent quite a bit.

Israel just simply can not compare.

I love Conan Doyle, but are you really comparing his works with the most fundamental piece of monotheistic religion and philosophy? :eh:

For the record, Israel is immensely more useful than Scotland today. The present matters most.

Hey man, bagpipes and kilts!
By Celtic Communism

More useful in aiding Turks with massacring Kurds, surely. Anything else? Probably not.

The State of Israel is an entity, it doesn't write or invent anything. The Jewish people, which originate in Israel, do however write and invent quite a bit.

I was comparing nations, not races. Scotland, which is primarily of Anglo-Celtic racial stock, will surely win this race game.

I love Conan Doyle, but are you really comparing his works with the most fundamental piece of monotheistic religion and philosophy?

We are comparing apples and oranges. I am talking about authors that come from the state of Israel and Scotland, not Jews or Anglo-Celts worldwide.
By War Angel
More useful in aiding Turks with massacring Kurds, surely.

Err.. what? :eh:

I was comparing nations, not races.

Jews are not a race, and neither are the Scots.

Scotland, which is primarily of Anglo-Celtic racial stock, will surely win this race game.

Are all Anglos Scottish? Can you attribute everything ever invented or written by a white person, into your Scottish supremacy theory?

I am talking about authors that come from the state of Israel and Scotland, not Jews or Anglo-Celts worldwide.

Indeed. I was also talking about authors and books that came out of Israel. :)
By Celtic Communism
Err.. what?

Israel and Turkey closely cooperate with their armed forces.

Jews are not a race, and neither are the Scots.

Then what are they?

Are all Anglos Scottish? Can you attribute everything ever invented or written by a white person, into your Scottish supremacy theory?

Are all Jews Israelis? Scots are partly an Anglo people, in the racial sense.

Indeed. I was also talking about authors and books that came out of Israel.

Spinoza never set foot in what is now Israel.
By Dempsey
Celtic Communism wrote:Our heyday in terms of inventions, the beginning of the industrial revolution, was before the Nobel Prize ceremony existed. I would include our philosophy and literary as being greater than Israel. I honestly can not think of any Israeli philosopher or writer of note, but we all surely can think of Scottish ones.

We have Louis Stevenson, Carlyle, and Conan Doyle famous world wide for writing, and our national poet is famous world wide too. Israel just simply can not compare.

Amos Oz seen as Nobel favorite in UK

Guardian newspaper reports Israeli author has best odds of winning prestigious award in literature category for 2009

Merav Yudilovitch Published: 09.26.09, 10:42 / Israel Culture

Israeli author Amos Oz is the favorite to take this year's Nobel Prize for literature, according to the bookies, British newspaper The Guardian reported Wednesday.

Oz is followed by Algerian novelist Assia Djebar, Spanish writer Juan Goytisolo, and American novelists Joyce Carol Oates, Philip Roth and Thomas Pynchon, Italian scholar Claudio Magris and Japanese author Haruki Murakami

The British daily states, however that "Oz needn't start preparing his Nobel speech quite yet," as last year's eventual winner, French novelist JMG Le Clézio, was initially given placed on the 14th place on bookies' lists.

National Pride

Amos Oz awarded 2008 Heine Prize / Ynet

Well-known author becomes first Israeli to receive Germany's most prestigious award for literature
Full story

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 88,00.html
By QatzelOk
I wonder if Iran will win a Noble Prize for their work with secret nuclear weapons?

Or are other tribes NOT ALLOWED to advance?
By Dempsey
Qatz, do you know why Ahm-J thread was deleted?

Ps, bring back your previous avatar (the wounded Arab toddler)
By jaycola
Here is a excerpt from an article written by Mark Twain entitled "Concerning the Jew" published in Harpers Magazine in 1898.
http://tiny.cc/4hB3m
In the article he comments on the prominence of Jews in the fields of literature, science, art and medicine among many others. It is a fact that these accomplishments were made by Jews, not Israelis, but since this was written 50 years before the establishment of the State of Israel, I guess we can excuse that.

He also discusses the emerging dominance of Jews in the economy of Germany and the emerging pregidous as a result.

If the statistics are right, the Jews constitute but one per cent. of the human race. It suggests a nebulous dim puff of star-dust lost in the blaze of the Milky Way. Properly the Jew ought hardly to be heard of; but he is heard of, has always been heard of. He is as prominent on the planet as any other people, and his commercial importance is extravagantly out of proportion to the smallness of his bulk. His contributions to the world's list of great names in literature, science, art, music, finance, medicine, and abstruse learning are also away out of proportion to the weakness of his numbers. He has made a marvellous fight in this world, in all the ages; and has done it with his hands tied behind him. He could be vain of himself, and be excused for it. The Egyptian, the Babylonian, and the Persian rose, filled the planet with sound and splendor, then faded to dream-stuff and passed away; the Greek and the Roman followed, and made a vast noise, and they are gone; other peoples have sprung up and held their torch high for a time, but it burned out, and they sit in twilight now, or have vanished. The Jew saw them all, beat them all, and is now what he always was, exhibiting no decadence, no infirmities of age, no weakening of his parts, no slowing of his energies, no dulling of his alert and aggressive mind. All things are mortal but the Jew; all other forces pass, but he remains. What is the secret of his immortality?

I think this essay by Twain could spark a thread of it's own...
Last edited by jaycola on 08 Oct 2009 05:18, edited 1 time in total.
By Tailz
War Angel wrote: I don't know, but they really should get one for the kilt. GOD, I wish I could wear one, just like that, to work or where-ever...

A kilt can get mighty draftee around the wedding tackle mate. I often wonder why women put up with Skirts because of the same problems.
By Huntster
How many Scottish Nobel prize winners are there?

I don't know, but they really should get one for the kilt. GOD, I wish I could wear one, just like that, to work or where-ever...

Why can't you?
By QatzelOk
If every nation on earth produced as many Nobel prize winners as the Jews (or Scots), humanity would have gone extinct a thousand years ago.

This kind of technological "progress" is killing us. Instead of using science to understand nature so as to live within its rules, the progress of the businessmen has been about manipulating nature in order to empower a few wealthy people.

This kind of "progress" will end in tears (and tear gas).
By Huntster
^ Did somebody provide Ted Kaczynski with a computer and internet connection? ^
By QatzelOk
Ted Kaczynski wasn't a skilled writer, Huntster.

And he built his argument against a strawman "leftist" rather than against mankind's natural attraction to power.
By Dempsey
Oxymoron wrote:Only 9?

Three of them are bullshit prize, that is the "Peace" prize (a really PR bullshit for the like of Rabin Peres Arafat), so we left with six. The amazing thing is that five of them are from the last four years. For years Israel believed she had been neglected by Nobel comitee for political reasons.
Last edited by Dempsey on 08 Oct 2009 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
By danholo
This peace prize really is a bunch of crap. I love Celtic Communism - he's worse then Jews when it comes to pride. He'll even come here to make himself look like a buffoon by playing sandbox games with kids: "My dad is taller then yours." "But my dad can lift THREE cars."

Do not wonder why my opinion of humanity in general is negative. Even adults act like children.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

We also went through this, and the policies by th[…]

I can't think of a better example of hostility an[…]

Obviously, not. But you have said you would geno[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The West's Last Illusion in Ukraine Despite wh[…]