Israeli African Relations? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of Africa.

Moderator: PoFo Africa Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Ter
Yeah Bosnjak, what about it ?

Last I heard, they are doing fine.

And you ?

Ter
By Okonkwo
Bosnjak wrote:What is about the trade between Africa and Israel.

You made your tremendous mistake by lumping together an amalgamation of 53 countries, each with their own autonomic governments into a single entity. If you want to examine the relations you have to consider at least each region by itself.
What we can then see is that in North and West Africa, two regions that share a Muslim identity, the majority of countries don't accept Israel's existence. Algeria, Chad, Djibouti, Guinea, Libya, Mali, Niger, Somalia, Sudan and Tunisia have no diplomatic relations whatsoever with the Jewish state. I myself am rather glad that my native country of Senegal does not engage in such nonsense, it has cordial relations with Israel and has recently made a number of trade agreements with the country regarding assistance in agriculture.
East Africa as a region has a lot of ties to Israel, ranging from simple geographical vicinity to a shared culture, both in Ethiopia and Kenya people claimed to be descendants of the lost tribes of Israel. This obvious connection and their common fight against fundamentalist Islam has made East Africa and Israel quite dependant on each other which resulted in a close relationship. This of course also translates into economic trade between them.
In the case of Central and South Africa we have a number of countries that have normal diplomatic ties to Israel. I don't know about any specific trade agreements but I would imagine there are some, none however particularly remarkable.

To get a larger impression of Israel's relationship with Africa one can venture to take a look into the history of Israel's approach towards Africa. Even before Israel was founded, the father of political Zionism wrote in 1902: "once I have witnessed the redemption of the Jews, my people, I wish also to assist in the redemption of the Africans."
When Israel was established this ideal was taken up and realised by the most important person in Israeli policy towards Africa, Golda Meir, who believed that the lessons learned by Israelis could be passed on to Africans who, particularly during the 1950s were engaged in the same process of nation building. She even pointed out the similarities:

"Like them, we had shaken off foreign rule; like them, we had to learn for ourselves how to reclaim the land, how to increase the yields of our crops, how to irrigate, how to raise poultry, how to live together, and how to defend ourselves."

Israel could provide a better model for the newly independent African state, Meir believed, because Israelis "had been forced to find solutions to the kinds of problems that large, wealthy, powerful states had never encountered."
Nonetheless, beneath the idealistic attitude lay a tangible interest in the country on the grounds of Africa being an important factor in Israel's fight against the Arabs - African nations became pawns in the effort to obtain an advantage on the continent. The effort failed in the predominantly Muslim countries in North and West Africa, it did however succeed to a large extent in the rest of Africa. This may somewhat explain the interesting relationship the "dark continent" and the Jewish state share.
By Zionist Nationalist
Africa is only a good place for Israel to sell weapons. Other than that Israel has nothing to benefit from there, we don't get any oil from there (only from Egypt but that's oil from Sinai).

Rule 5: Type properly. I edited the post - if you are not willing to use capitalisation and punctuation please refrain from posting altogether.
By Nets
Zionist Nationalist wrote:Africa is only a good place for Israel to sell weapons. Other than that Israel has nothing to benefit from there, we don't get any oil from there (only from Egypt but that's oil from Sinai).

I think this is a horribly misguided view and is entirely opposed to Zionism.

Having friends in Africa is important for security reasons as well as well as for trade. It is a shame that post-1973 Israel/Africa relations became so poor as many African state began to identify with the Palestinian David against the Israeli Goliath, whereas prior to this many identified with the Israeli David against the Arab Goliath. In the 50's and 60's, Israeli agricultural education and other aid had made many friends on the continent who identified with Jewish self-determination. That these ties were lost over time is a shame.

Israel's relations with Apartheid S.A. while making sense in a realpolitik sort of way are unfortunate in retrospect. As Israel was losing friends it took what friends it could get, regrettably.

ZN, try to think farther down the road. African economies have nowhere to go but up (for the most part, barring incredibly inept rule), and as a tiny information/skill-based economy, it would be in Israel's interest to be along for the ride.

Okonkwo's post was a good one, as usual.

And it was also debunked.

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]