Will Africans end up hating China? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of Africa.

Moderator: PoFo Africa Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Will China ultimately end up being hated in Africa as America is hated in the Middle-East because of China’s “cash for resources” without responsibility for who they trade with, that ultimately props up unsavoury regimes?
By Igor Antunov
China doesn't get involved in the politics, it trades with anyone, it doesn't give a shit wether they share Chinese values, system of government or are even very friendly. They are out there exploiting the resource base of countries with Chinese workers, not getting in the face of the natives with political slogans such as 'we want to bring you freedom and democracy' and military interventions.
By JohnRawls
Igor you seem to be not fine when americans trade with dictators and such but when china does it , it is okay to subsidize dictators ?
By politburo player
Igor you seem to be not fine when americans trade with dictators and such but when china does it , it is okay to subsidize dictators ?

Igor is a big supporter of China doing anything, from taking over the world economy to arming poor countries and turning them against the West.
By Otebo
China doesn't get involved in the politics, it trades with anyone, it doesn't give a shit wether they share Chinese values, system of government or are even very friendly.

I'd disagree. China does give a shit - it much prefers dealing with dictatorships. Democracy can be so tiresome when you're a brutal dictatorship trying to ruthlessy seize third world resources at minimum cost.

"(Reuters) - China said on Monday its embassy in Zimbabwe had thrown a birthday party for President Robert Mugabe, a rare sign of foreign support for a leader reviled by many Zimbabweans and criticized by the United States and Europe." :hmm:
By Kaspar
It's impossible to give any sort of definite answer to this, since a lot of it depends on giant ifs, like whether or not China will continue increasing it's economic aid to African nations, etc.

But I think if China continues at its current rate, then I'd have to say that Africans will begin seriously questioning China and China's motives. Already, we've seen violence being committed against Chinese workers in countries like Zambia. I can't remember the specifics, but I think it involved a group of protesters attacking the administration of a Chinese-run copper mine. There have been other, similar instances throughout Africa. Also, if Chinese immigration to Africa increases, then surely anti-Chinese sentiment will increase as well. After centuries of colonization, Africans, not surprisingly, tend to be a very xenophobic people. It would be good for Beijing should they realize that by sending increasing numbers of Chinese to the continent, it would be greatly jeopardizing long-term Sino-African relations.
By Igor Antunov

China isn't two faced about it. They don't claim to be spreading freedom on the one hand and propping up dictatorships on the other. The US is full of lies and contradictions. That I consider highly dishonourable and not worthy of respect in the slightest. I can respect an imperial power that doesn't lie to the world about it's very nature. An empire that takes offense at being called an empire is one of the lowest manifestations of empire in history. There's no glory there, no cause for respect. It's pathetic.
By politburo player
But I think if China continues at its current rate, then I'd have to say that Africans will begin seriously questioning China and China's motives. Already, we've seen violence being committed against Chinese workers in countries like Zambia. I can't remember the specifics, but I think it involved a group of protesters attacking the administration of a Chinese-run copper mine.

I'm sure Africans recognize that Chicoms are not fun loving, big tippers at the local taverns like Europeans. That will be the first red flag. I also bet they are suspicious of the mechanized, robotic, "Dr. Evil" nature of these newcomers. They will eventually realize that these funny looking invaders intend to use them for their resources and imprison them in the same economic and social bondage that the Europeans were guilty of a century before.
By Kaspar
I'm sure Africans recognize that Chicoms are not fun loving, big tippers at the local taverns like Europeans. That will be the first red flag. I also bet they are suspicious of the mechanized, robotic, "Dr. Evil" nature of these newcomers. They will eventually realize that these funny looking invaders intend to use them for their resources and imprison them in the same economic and social bondage that the Europeans were guilty of a century before.

Man, what are you talking about?

I mean, what you say is just so over the top it's unbelievable. I don't even know how to respond. It's like arguing with a 1950s anti-communist movie script.
By liberallad
Igor Antunov wrote:China doesn't get involved in the politics, it trades with anyone, it doesn't give a shit wether they share Chinese values, system of government or are even very friendly.

My ass. Ever heard of Tibet, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau? Sure, these are ethnically oriental states, but it's still and act of becoming politically involved, and in the case of many, fucking them over, and sharing "Chinese values"...
By Beachcomber
Resentment is probably growing. China often has a nasty habit of importing labour for a lot of their projects. If locals don't get work, they don't like it.
By Igor Antunov
Democracy can be so tiresome when you're a brutal dictatorship trying to ruthlessy seize third world resources at minimum cost.

As opposed to *insert political system opposed to Us foreign policy here* being so tiresome if you're a brutal 'democracy' ruthlessly seizing third world resources at the point of a gun? I point you in the general direction of the middle east, africa, south america etc.

My ass. Ever heard of Tibet, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau? Sure, these are ethnically oriental states, but it's still and act of becoming politically involved, and in the case of many, fucking them over, and sharing "Chinese values"...

Hong kong, taiwain and macau were always chinese, Tibet was always a tributary state, chinese puppet, or fully fledged chinese province like it is now. You're really stretching your examples, I don't have to.
By Doomhammer

Americans are obsessed with promoting democracy and American values abroad so it shouldn't be very surprising when people are outraged when US cooperates with dictatorships; it makes the US appear hypocritical. China, on the other hand, is now a principled realist power that is emulating the practices of 19th century European great powers. Considering that some former colonial countries have cordial relations with their former colonial masters, China's relentless quest to acquire more resources may provoke resentment in Africans BUT I doubt such resentment would last very long.
By HelicioNOD
Anyone who tries to suggest China is NOT exploiting Africans is sugarcoating it.

What is going on in Africa now is bad, and in this modern era I think you'd be hard pressed to see anything like it. To exempt China of criticism, like Igor does, is ridiculous.

Yes, Igor, China IS creating an empire in Africa (an empire made of money, of course); moreover, they ARE trying to sugarcoat the creation of this empire. It is horrible. And a damned shame that Africans are being exploited once again--this time by the East, not the West.
By Fasces
Tibet was always a tributary state, chinese puppet, or fully fledged chinese province like it is now. You're really stretching your examples, I don't have to.

Tibetan Empire?
By Igor Antunov
Tibetan Empire?

There was once an aragonese empire too.

Anyone who tries to suggest China is NOT exploiting Africans is sugarcoating it.

What is going on in Africa now is bad, and in this modern era I think you'd be hard pressed to see anything like it.

Oh the humanity. While western companies sign resource contracts for political concessions and throw cash in the pockets of every general turned african president, china builds roads, railways, hospitals, etc for those same resource contracts. i.e it's much harder for a hospital to be use to purchase weapons with.
By HelicioNOD
Do you know anything about Africa, Igor? The West is treating it much better than China is currently. Be fair. I know you hate the US, but come on.

Do you know anyone from Africa? Have you kept up with any news about it? The Chinese treat Africans worse than they treat their poorest peasants. When it comes down to which nations are more democratic--China, or pretty much any country in the West--the answer is any country in the West. China has a long way to go, and it should begin trying to give its people basic freedoms soon.

It can start at Tibet.
By Fasces
There was once an aragonese empire too.

Irrelevant. You said Tibet was always. It was not. :lol:
By Okonkwo
HelicioNOD wrote:China has a long way to go, and it should begin trying to give its people basic freedoms soon.

So by whom you are letting yourself be colonised is now dependant on what level of "democracy" they have reached? I don't think it's necessary to rehash the old arguments about the USA not being the bearer of freedom and democracy at all, especially when it comes to underdeveloped countries. Their main interest lies in securing economic advantages across the globe, they are no different from the PRC in that regard.

On another note, one has to challenge the claim that the USA is a humanitarian force in Africa, while "China is supplying dictators with weapons" once and for all. A recent Norwegian story showed called "An Empirical Analysis of Chinese versus US Arms Transfers to Autocrats and Violators of Human Rights, 1989 - 2006" showed that the USA far outstrips China in that category.

HelicioNOD wrote:Do you know anyone from Africa?

These are quotes from the Norwegian study I cited above:

"According to a 2007 Pew Foundation survey of citizens in 9 African countries (Kenya, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Senegal, Mali, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda and Ethiopia), by margins ranging from 61% to 91% they rated Chinese influence in their country as positive, exceeding the percentage of respondents who see America’s influence as positive by between 10% to 30% (Kohut
2007).

Similarly, a survey of university students and professors conducted in nine African countries found that in all nine majorities or lopsided pluralities responded that Chinese policies were more beneficial than western policies. (Sautman and Hairong 2009a: 741). Only in South
Africa was America’s influence viewed more positively than China’s in the Pew survey: 55% viewed US influence as positive, versus only 49% who viewed China’s influence as positive, producing a comparably modest gap of 6% in favor of the US. Views of China itself were positive by a net margin of over 20% in nine out of ten African countries, except South Africa, where 47% had a net negative view versus 44% who had a net positive view.

Of even greater relevance for our findings, citizens in Nigeria, Mali, Kenya, and Ivory Coast, by margins ranging from 58% to 87% saw China’s growing military power as a good thing. In the university student and professor survey mentioned above, majorities in all nine countries responded that China’s rising power will have a positive or somewhat positive impact on Africa, even in South Africa (Sautman and Hairong 2009a: 745). In the Pew survey, by margins ranging from 80% to 96% in these countries plus Senegal seeing China’s rising economic power as a good thing. However, 54% of Moroccans saw China’s growing economic power as a bad thing (Kohut 2007). Reflecting China’s popularity at the grass-roots level, growing numbers of average Africans are beginning to dream the “China dream” of a better life through emigration to China. These findings suggest that the western discourse about China siding with authoritarians against their people does not reflect actual perceptions in Africa, and reinforce the central finding of this paper, namely that in comparison with the US, China is much more supportive of democratic regimes and less supportive of authoritarian regimes than has hitherto been recognized."

For clarification: I am not endorsing any of these views - I rather believe that it is necessary to do away with some of the prevalent propaganda and emotion that has thus far prevented serious, rational and level-headed discourse of the matter.
By HelicioNOD
The study you cited reveals perceptions, not reality.

I should also clarify what I meant: I don't mean that the US/Europe are GOOD sources in Africa, necessarily. But they are better than China (especially the Europeans).

Fareed Zakaria agrees with me (I must be right, now!). ;)

Googling "IDF soldiers posting on social medi[…]

@Tainari88 There is no guarantee Trump will g[…]

@Potemkin wrote: Popular entertainment panders[…]

You probably think Bill nye is an actual scientis[…]