Africa's resources & the rise of a new Cold War - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of Africa.

Moderator: PoFo Africa Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Al Jazeera has put up an opinion piece that I found rather interesting and informative, it's about the struggle for Africa. It covers both American and Chinese interest in Africa's resources, and how (unfortunately) China is making Africa a better deal than the United States is. It's kind of long, but I think it's worth a read.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/op ... 65794.html
By Rilzik
The guy who wrote it seems very biased from the articles I've read of his that where posted here on POFO. From what I have read of his articles he seems to downplay china's darkside while highlighting the west's.

He portrays China here as a benevolent trading partner who is helping Africa develop. He doesn't mention the raising tensions between Chinese workers, Chinese trading with some pretty evil regimes, or the opinions of some Africans that china is just another country their for their resources, like the west before them.

He portrays the US and Europe purely as a military engagement with Africa, neglects to mention all our aid, micro lending, aids aid, and trade.

I don't exactly disagree with everything he says but it is becoming clear to me that he isn't interested in presenting all the facts.
By soron
I don't think that the article is particularly biased. Maybe that's just your impression when reading something from a non-American point of view.
Of course, more could be said. So far, the Chinese investment in Africa has indeed been more benevolent that the Europeans' and Americans'. However this might simply be because of the difference of dealing with Africa 400 years on one side, and 10 years on the other. Lack of opportunity might account for some of the Chinese benevolence and discretion.

What is true is that China is taking a different approach - where the US is interested in military bases, China is focusing on building a civilian, political partnership. That fact alone might go a long way towards explaining the different perception of the locals, armed conquerors on one hand, business partners on the other.
And yes, China also has a different side. They occupied Tibet, they support the Burmese Junta, and they are engaged in a power play over the South Chinese Sea.
However, as far as Africa is concerned, I think that both Europe and the US need to rethink their strategies. Just buying the local kingpin then exploiting the natural resources without the locals having any advantage of it is just damaging to our relations.
And the information travels fast. We've seen in Noth Africa how well modern media are integrated in those societies.
Some time ago I watched a documentary on TV about Ghana, and how most of the banking business in this country is done by smart phone. When I heard that I was really caught off guard and thaught 'WTF - we don't even do online banking by smart phone on that scale, they do ? :eek:
And that's when I realized that my own image of Africa was considerably outdated.

At a guess I think this is the case for many Europeans and Americans. And that is why we are still, on some level, trying to sell glass pearls in exchange for gold and diamonds, as far as our policy towards Africa is concerned.
China is simply doing a more pragmatic approach, and that is why they are nowadays often offering the better deal. Nothing we couldn't match, but it's time to wake up and stop treating Africa like some second-rate issue.

Not here they’re not. Lol. ;) It is incredible […]

I see rather a lot of pick up truck stickers here […]

Has Iran attacked Israel yet? The reality is, o[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting look at the nuclear saber rattling Put[…]