Sudan: Oil Companies Complicit in Rights Abuses - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of Africa.

Moderator: PoFo Africa Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
(London, November 25, 2003) The Sudanese government's efforts to control oilfields in the war-torn south have resulted in the displacement of hundreds of thousands of civilians, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said in a report released today. Foreign oil companies operating in Sudan have been complicit in this displacement, and the death and destruction that have accompanied it.

The report documents how the government has used the roads, bridges and airfields built by the oil companies as a means for it to launch attacks on civilians in the southern oil region of Western Upper Nile (also known as Unity state). In addition to its regular army, the government has deployed militant Islamist militias to prosecute the war, and has armed southern factions in a policy of ethnic manipulation and destabilization.

The report provides evidence of the complicity of oil companies in the human rights abuses. Oil company executives turned a blind eye to well-reported government attacks on civilian targets, including aerial bombing of hospitals, churches, relief operations and schools.

"Oil companies operating in Sudan were aware of the killing, bombing, and looting that took place in the south, all in the name of opening up the oilfields," said Rone of HRW. "These facts were repeatedly brought to their attention in public and private meetings, but they continued to operate and make a profit as the devastation went on."
By Ascetic
Hmm, does anyone remember the joke (the very dark humour) in the Onion about the Sudanese civil war? And how the man who had his hands chopped off and his family killed wished that his country had a lot of oil, so that the Americans (or anyone else, I suppose) might try and intervene. This might be his 'lucky' day.

On a serious note, I feel the need to point out (before anyone else jumps on it) that it is not a product of Islamic government that this sort of action occurs. There are animist, Christian -and- Islamic groups that are attempting to overthrow the government, which is as reactionary and bloodthirsty as any that is present on Earth. Something must be done, and it shouldn't even be America that should do it... Islamic countries would do very well if they intervened, they'd get a lot more respect in the world community. Maybe some backlash at home, but I can't imagine Arab fundamentalists would even care so much about an African country, even if it is (marginally) Islamic, so not so many negative parts.

Of course, Islamic fundamentalists -in charge- of other Islamic nations... well... That throws a wrench in the works.

I rambled a bit, sorry. If anyone really wants to discuss the Sudanese conflict, I'd love to contribute, but for now... I've gone a bit off of the oil company bit. Apologies.

The ban on usury was inherited from the Jews. The[…]

^ I guess you meant Raqqa. How exactly don't we k[…]

Women have in professional Basketball 5-6 times mo[…]

There were no barricades. Everyone was able to ac[…]