Homeland Security to Defend Against Bird Flu - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political and non-political satire; all those terribly biased analogies live here.
I wrote this over a year ago, but it still could be ripped from today's headlines...

Homeland Security to Defend Against Bird Flu

Department Seeks to Activate and Mobilize ‘Avian Defense Agency'

By AUGHT SIX, Independent-Whig-Democrat-Times Reporter

Secretary Chertoff addresses reporters at a press conference in Washington on Wednesday

WASHINGTON – Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff announced Wednesday that he is seeking to form a new agency within his department solely tasked with preventing a national flu epidemic.

“Due to the looming threat of a global avian flu pandemic, the Department of Homeland Security must bolster our defenses within the United States,” Chertoff told reporters.

“To accomplish this goal, I have asked Congress to approve the creation of a new agency under the Homeland Security Department umbrella—the Avian Defense Agency, or ADA.”

Although most details of the ADA remain classified, Chertoff said the proposal includes plans to deputize as many as 50,000 hunters to man avian security checkpoints along the country’s 7,220 miles of borders, including those of Alaska and Hawaii.

“For centuries America’s sportsmen have answered the call to defend our great nation from countless enemies, both foreign and domestic. With their help, we can and will protect the homeland from all foreign bird flu threats,” Chertoff added.

The proposal requests initial funding of $182.4 billion to train, activate, and equip 25,000 hunters by January 1, 2007. Much of the money would be earmarked to purchase shotguns, ammunition, and cheap domestic beer. Additional funds would be used by 2008 to build a network of shooting blinds situated every 250 yards along the entire length of the United States border.

The agency would also commission a fleet of at least 1,000 vessels to patrol waterways around the nation’s borders. The armada would include rubber dinghies, flat-bottom duck boats, and at least three Gander class destroyers. The destroyers are outfitted with the latest anti-avian weapons technology, including radar systems that can track birds as small as a titmouse, and the brand new Mallard Missile Battery, or MMB-1.

“The fowl won’t even know what hit them,” Chertoff said. “These systems are so new and advanced that even the U.S. Navy doesn’t have anything close.”

“In a way, I truly feel sorry for the millions of birds we expect to shoot down in the combat zone,” he admitted after a pause. “However, it is important to remember that none of the animals are United States citizens, and that they could unknowingly kill off millions of us who are.”

Avian Defense Agent Lester Shifflett mans his post along the U.S./Canadian border

President Bush lauded Chertoff’s efforts.

“It is clear that Mike is a man who understands the seriousness of the avian flu danger,” Bush was quoted as saying. “I ask Congress to give him their full consideration and approve the Homeland Security Department’s proposal.”

Duck hunter Lester Shifflett, 35, was among a small group of personnel already deputized under a pilot program launched by the Homeland Security Department in August.

“I was thinking about leaving my job at Tobacco Shack anyway, so when a couple of Homeland Security agents came into town asking folks to interview for a job with the ADA, I jumped at the chance,” Shifflett said. “I’ve waited my whole to life for the government to pay me to kill ducks. It feels great to shoot birds down in the name of national defense.”

Several thousand hunters have already submitted their resumes to the department, hoping to be among the first class of recruits deputized once the agency receives congressional approval. Word of the proposal spread quickly among Internet hunting chat rooms and message boards.

ADA hopeful Randy Deane leaves for Washington to submit his application in person

Justin Butz, a forum administrator at HuntingNet.com, told the reporter that site traffic has increased 127% since hunters first received news of Chertoff’s press conference.

“These folks are going crazy over the chance to shoot things on the federal payroll,” Butz explained. “Just yesterday we had 2,309 new members in the Waterfowl Hunting Forum, nearly all of them hoping to find more news of the ADA and its job openings. Some of them are so excited with anticipation that they accidentally blew holes through their walls while cleaning their shotguns.”

Most members of Congress are supporting the ADA proposal, leading political analysts to anticipate a quick and easy passage.

Actor, comedian, and political propagandist Al Franken said on his daily radio program Wednesday, "Once again, the forces of conservatism have used their corporate influence to expand the Republican apparatus of fear and oppression in America. We are now weeks away from witnessing the 21st century version of the Brownshirts. I hope you’re happy, Mr. Secretary."

Senator John Kerry (D-MA), a lifelong sportsman, stated that the country needs an organization like the ADA. During a press conference Wednesday aboard his luxury yacht in Boston, he applauded our nation’s hunters.

“Duck and goose hunters around America are our best defense against avian flu. As a younger man I sat among them in our country’s hunting blinds, valiantly protecting this great nation of ours,” Kerry was quoted as saying.

Kerry later admitted that he would attempt to amend the bill to prohibit ADA personnel from using privately-owned firearms while on duty. He went on to say that “your average American doesn’t possess the sense of responsibility necessary to own a firearm anyway.”

However, Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) made it clear that he would unilaterally oppose the creation of ADA.

“This is a travesty of justice, the using of federal tax dollars to fund some kind of redneck hunting club,” Kennedy said. “I propose placing tubs of gin near ponds and lakes to intoxicate incoming birds. Then, with the help of the Environmental Protection Agency, as well as the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, we will capture and ship the birds to Canada for humane adoption.”

Secretary Chertoff, when asked to comment on Senator Kennedy’s statement, shook his head and said, “With all due respect, it sounds as though the distinguished Senator has spent a little too much time at the lake himself.”

###

AUGHT SIX has reported on issues affecting the United States for over 17 hours.

Copyright © 2006 AUGHT SIX. All rights reserved. The information contained in this report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without prior written permission.
By Zagadka
At least it might be something mildly (and I mean very mildly) more effective than what they're doing now (AKA, collecting paychecks and saying that Muslims are evil).
By Carpe Veritas
Sign me up, I have been preparing for the Apocalpyse for a long time now (I expected Zombies or Commies but its clear to me that the Birds are going to destroy us all).

I even have my own shotgun and Katana to this end for fending off attacking flocks.
By Rodion
Are you crazy? Shotgun blasts only attract more zombies! :eek:

You need a silencer-compatible firearm.
By Carpe Veritas
Ah but I live in the U.K. where firearms are illegal so I only have access to a farming shotgun... tis better than nothing.

On the pro side I live not far from a village with an outdoor store which has 100 rifles and shotguns, hiking, clothing, camping and fishing gear as well as actual body armour (enough to stop a bite!) so I'm set if can get there.

Failing that its grab a bike and cycle for it if they are walkers or if they are runners hide in the nearest DIY store, which is only a wall away from the supermarket (the roads will be clogged with wrecks before you can say mmmm brains).
By Rodion
Oh. Not bad. :up:

I'd be extra careful with the outdoor store - remember, there's going to be wide-spread panic. Wait until the dust settles. If your shotgun's the only option... well, I can't advise you to do anything illegal, but you might consider keeping a saw handy.

I myself should be alright, as long as we manage to quarantine the campus. That shouldn't be too hard, as there are only three accessible entrances. Failing that, I got three escape routes.
By Carpe Veritas
:lol:

Waiting it out is best for you I think, other than Kuwait Israel is the richest per capita country in the World which has conscription (you have military service there right)? Lots of soldiers to fight the zombie hoards!

We have very few and they are all abroad... ;)

What are your escape routes? I am eyeing the roof exit of my office (there's fire ladders) as we speak.
By Zagadka
farming shotgun

:eh:

I can have some vague concept of what that is, but it still sounds funny.

...or Commies

Go Wolverines!

but its clear to me that the Birds are going to destroy us all)

Hitchcock was really a religious prophet trying to warn us...

Why didn't we listen?

WHY?
By Carpe Veritas

Twin Bore buckshot gun. My uncle uses it to shoot little fluffy bunnies down the road from us :D

Go Wolverines!

Great film, but I can't help feeling that it would have been better if their school football team had been called 'the Possums'. Go Possums! :lol:

Hitchcock was really a religious prophet trying to warn us...

Why didn't we listen?

WHY?

Speak for yourself! *flinches as a pigeon goes by* :p
By Rodion
Carpe Veritas wrote:Waiting it out is best for you I think, other than Kuwait Israel is the richest per capita country in the World which has conscription (you have military service there right)? Lots of soldiers to fight the zombie hoards!

We have very few and they are all abroad...

What are your escape routes? I am eyeing the roof exit of my office (there's fire ladders) as we speak.

Yep, we're pretty much set. Although, I'm talking about escape routes from the campus. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to fight my way out of the dorms, if it comes to that.
By Carpe Veritas
Yep, we're pretty much set. Although, I'm talking about escape routes from the campus. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to fight my way out of the dorms, if it comes to that.

You on the ground floor? If not then you will need weapons to fight your way down, :eh: any hammers or heavy blunt things you can use man?

Quick think of something the Commies are coming as we speak! Sorry got carried away I mean the Zombie Ducks are coming as we speak! :D
By Rodion
Carpe Veritas wrote:You on the ground floor? If not then you will need weapons to fight your way down, any hammers or heavy blunt things you can use man?

Don't worry... I'm tricky. ;)
By Aught Six
I can't buy anymore guns until I find a bigger safe. It's a crying shame when a man has to tell his wife to wait a while for that little HK P2000SK.
By Aught Six

It's that old 12 bore you fire twice a year, once on October the 12th and again on Midsummer Day.
By Truth-a-naut
That is a nice WASR that dude on the tractor has. Either that or a Norinco. Both are rad.
By Aught Six
I prefer the Yugo M70B1 myself. Milled steel, heavy contour barrel--built like a tank. Too bad the accuracy on those old commie guns is Minute-of-Pie-Plate.
By Carpe Veritas
You need accuracy when dealing with zombies due to needing headshots. Automatic weapons thus also non preferable because of heavy ammo needs, comparative lack of accuracy and as such their impracticality in long term survival situations.

Ideally I would carry a Long range rifle with a silencer, A high powered pistol for close quarters, and a hand held hammer for up close (hard hitting beats slashing for skulls). ;)

In my practical situation though, if I could get to the shop, I'd settle for an Ice axe, a hunting rifle (with lotsa ammo), and some body armour. :)

^ I never claimed rape is something unique to the[…]

Taiwan-China crisis.

They don't blame Xi for bad lockdowns - they blam[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

What negative consequences have there been for Is[…]

[T]he [N]orth did not partake in the institution […]