My Ideology? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Any other minor ideologies.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Dyon
Hello. I would appreciate if someone could give me a label (or labelS) that describes my political beliefs? Although a political label is perhaps restraining, it is a useful categorisation.

Political Views

Social: Strongly oppose mass immigration. Supporter of capital punishment. Support drug decriminalization, and treat addiction as a medical and psychological problem. Proudly nationalistic. Embrace English culture and traditional values. Encourage a society built around the traditional family. Foster a society where personal fiscal responsibility is encouraged (although a modified social security must be in place to curb income inequality). Supporter of harsh punishment for crime and an acknowledgement that punishment must be a more important factor than rehabilitation. Moderate background checks for gun ownership, and a pledge that the right to bear arms will never be removed. Support gay marriage. Disable affirmative-action.

Political: Something in-line with the historical Whigs. Independent. A commitment to trim government's excess fat, and keep it as small as possible but still allowing it to complete its essential needs. Meritoracy; a society built atop social mobility. A vibrant representative democracy where transparency is promoted. An 'invisible' third party ready to seize votes if government fails to fulfil its tasks.

Military: Maintain a capable military; and protect overseas interests. Voluntary service.

Economic: A market-based economy with a transparent approach to business: encourage growth and innovation. Fairly centrist. Absolute pledge to fiscal responsibility and reform. Goal of a balanced budget and a confident approach by a central bank. Aim to make England an innvestment hub: progressive taxation, scaled to lift the burden off of the middle class. Tax exemption for small businesses during their establishing years. A system of social welfare, but drastically reformed compared to present day. Simplify the tax code and eliminate loopholes. Adherence and commitment to sustainable energy. Universal healthcare, public education and a strong, guiding-hand by the state in the economy. Policies favouring small businesses and a commitment to encouraging entrepreneurship. Modified protectionism; with the aim of keeping the UK competitive on a global scale. Heavy investment in public infrastructure; investment in science and maths programs.

Foreign policy: Approach diplomatic relations in a pragmatic and level-headed manner. Establish honourable trading partners and strong economic links. Ally with countries committed to peace and democracy. Reduce foreign aid, but keep some form of it, although with strict criteria (democracy, aiming for peace, etc). Regarding the Israel-Palestine conflict: support a two-state solution, with Israel releasing territory won from the 1967 war, and paying token compensation. Overall, initiate a foreign policy which aims to increase stability and prosperity for England.
By Oakwood
Am I wrong in thinking this sounds very Conservative Party? Capital punishment not so much among the new generation of Tories, but even with decriminilisation of drugs, David Cameron would be quite pleased.
By Cromwell
Oakwood wrote:Am I wrong in thinking this sounds very Conservative Party? Capital punishment not so much among the new generation of Tories, but even with decriminilisation of drugs, David Cameron would be quite pleased.

His economic views are too left-wing for them and I don't, at all, see how the Tories strongly oppose mass immigration.
By Oakwood
Cromwell wrote:His economic views are too left-wing for them and I don't, at all, see how the Tories strongly oppose mass immigration.

Hmmm I don’t know. Depending on how favourable he is towards a “market based economy”, the Conservatives are likely to be one of the most pro-market parties in the entire world, let alone Britain. Additionally, “strong guiding hand” doesn’t necessarily translate to “huge state involvement”.

The Conservatives have actually made a point about implementing tough austerity measures, designed to achieve the “balanced budget” he speaks of. This has involved lowering the deficit and overall debt.

Although he hasn’t said that much about it, his stated aim of making England an investment hub ties in with the London Stock Exchange being one of the biggest markets in the world where so many corporations want to list themselves- the Conservatives making great effort to protect our financial prowess, a lot of this revolving around the investment that companies and individuals make on the exchange. Also, the Conservatives (notably Boris Johnson) have been pushing for the bringing of Chinese businesses and industry to London for job creation and income revenue.

Progressive tax is something the Conservatives favour as well, as does nearly every party. And although it has now been cancelled, it was them who brought in the 50% income tax rate, adding another level of “progression”.

Dyon advocates tax exemption for small businesses, and while the Conservative website doesn’t literally say “tax exemption” you should give this a reading over http://www.conservatives.com/information/smallbusiness. It shows a commitment to small businesses through loans and the taking off of £2000 in national insurance for your first employee. I would say national insurance is a form of tax.

He also wants to see drastically reformed welfare. I think you’re from Britain so if you’ve been watching the news over the last few weeks or months you’d have noticed the Conservatives making serious efforts in this area, with benefit caps and stringent measures to check for disability etc.

Read this for information on infrastructure http://www.conservatives.com/Policy/Whe ... sport.aspx

Science and Maths are something the Tories have made a point about increasing the value of in schools for a while. “Emphasis on traditional subjects” is a phrase I think they’ve used.

As for immigration, they’re no UKIP, but the Conservatives are the most anti-immigrant party of the main 3. By a long way in fact. Which political force doesn’t actually strongly oppose “mass immigration” in this country these days anyway? Even Labour (who opened the floodgates) are starting to change their tune on this. The only way I can see this as not being the case is that we have a lot of immigration from the EU. In a sense, this isn’t immigration because we’re involved in a fairly deep political union now. But even on the European Union, apart from UKIP, who else with any recognisability is going to compare to the Tories’ regarding a dislike of it?

After writing all that, I’m starting to wonder if you were actually being serious when you chose his economics and immigration beliefs to focus on
but I reckon you probably know a thing or two about this and will come back with a good response which I would like to hear. All part of the reason I come on here really- to hear people's opinions and gain some knowledge from them.
By Cromwell
Oakwood wrote:Hmmm I don’t know. Depending on how favourable he is towards a “market based economy”, the Conservatives are likely to be one of the most pro-market parties in the entire world, let alone Britain. Additionally, “strong guiding hand” doesn’t necessarily translate to “huge state involvement”.

The Conservatives have actually made a point about implementing tough austerity measures, designed to achieve the “balanced budget” he speaks of. This has involved lowering the deficit and overall debt.

Although he hasn’t said that much about it, his stated aim of making England an investment hub ties in with the London Stock Exchange being one of the biggest markets in the world where so many corporations want to list themselves- the Conservatives making great effort to protect our financial prowess, a lot of this revolving around the investment that companies and individuals make on the exchange. Also, the Conservatives (notably Boris Johnson) have been pushing for the bringing of Chinese businesses and industry to London for job creation and income revenue.

Progressive tax is something the Conservatives favour as well, as does nearly every party. And although it has now been cancelled, it was them who brought in the 50% income tax rate, adding another level of “progression”.

Dyon advocates tax exemption for small businesses, and while the Conservative website doesn’t literally say “tax exemption” you should give this a reading over http://www.conservatives.com/information/smallbusiness. It shows a commitment to small businesses through loans and the taking off of £2000 in national insurance for your first employee. I would say national insurance is a form of tax.

He also wants to see drastically reformed welfare. I think you’re from Britain so if you’ve been watching the news over the last few weeks or months you’d have noticed the Conservatives making serious efforts in this area, with benefit caps and stringent measures to check for disability etc.

Read this for information on infrastructure http://www.conservatives.com/Policy/Whe ... sport.aspx

Science and Maths are something the Tories have made a point about increasing the value of in schools for a while. “Emphasis on traditional subjects” is a phrase I think they’ve used.

As for immigration, they’re no UKIP, but the Conservatives are the most anti-immigrant party of the main 3. By a long way in fact. Which political force doesn’t actually strongly oppose “mass immigration” in this country these days anyway? Even Labour (who opened the floodgates) are starting to change their tune on this. The only way I can see this as not being the case is that we have a lot of immigration from the EU. In a sense, this isn’t immigration because we’re involved in a fairly deep political union now. But even on the European Union, apart from UKIP, who else with any recognisability is going to compare to the Tories’ regarding a dislike of it?

After writing all that, I’m starting to wonder if you were actually being serious when you chose his economics and immigration beliefs to focus on
but I reckon you probably know a thing or two about this and will come back with a good response which I would like to hear. All part of the reason I come on here really- to hear people's opinions and gain some knowledge from them.

I feel a little bad that you wrote so much when, really, my response can't live up to it.

Basically, I think I just read a little more into the word 'centrist', firstly on the economics, and the word 'strongly', secondly on immigration. I can't really discuss it in more detail because I can't speak for OP and I'd just be going off a few sentences.
By slybaldguy
Oakwood wrote:Progressive tax is something the Conservatives favour as well, as does nearly every party. And although it has now been cancelled, it was them who brought in the 50% income tax rate, adding another level of “progression”.

Incorect on both counts. The Tories have never been in favour of progressive taxation and it was Labour that introduced the 50% top rate. By the way some of David Cameron's best friends use tax avoidance schemes. What are the odds of these loopholes being closed down?
By Oakwood
Cromwell wrote:I feel a little bad that you wrote so much when, really, my response can't live up to it.

Basically, I think I just read a little more into the word 'centrist', firstly on the economics, and the word 'strongly', secondly on immigration. I can't really discuss it in more detail because I can't speak for OP and I'd just be going off a few sentences.

Thanks for the dignified response, I know a lot of people on here (including myself sometimes) would rather argue to the death than respond like that. And yes, I know what you mean. I felt as though I might have been going off on one myself when not really fully knowing what he was actually talking about.
slybaldguy wrote:Incorect on both counts. The Tories have never been in favour of progressive taxation and it was Labour that introduced the 50% top rate.

Ah you are right! I should have actually checked that fact before writing it. It was in 2010 when the Conservatives came into power but I assumed Labour wouldn’t do it in their dying days, maybe it was a populist move to try to save themselves.

But you say the Conservatives never favoured progressive taxation? My understanding of progressive taxation is where there is more than one level of taxation ie higher earners being charged more than lower earners. As mentioned before, Dyon doesn’t really go into specifics but do you not think he’s talking about income tax? The Conservatives don’t favour a flat tax from what I can find. A Google search came up with this though:
“Some countries, including in Eastern Europe, have adopted some version of a flat tax in an attempt to boost economic growth. In the UK, the Conservatives have flirted with the idea, talking about the need for "flatter" taxes, without ever committing to it.”
Or this
“Flat taxes have also been considered in the United Kingdom by the Conservative Party. In September 2005, George Osborne, then in opposition, said that while he was "fully conscious that we may not be able to introduce a pure flat tax, we may be able to move towards simpler and flatter taxes."
This doesn’t really tell me that the Conservatives aren’t in favour progressive taxation when the most they’ve done to remove it is “flirt with the idea without ever committing to it”.

For me, the Conservatives imposing a flat rate of tax would never happen because it’s politically unfeasible. They’ve been so desperate to shed their image of being supporters of the rich and this would undo all that. When was the last time the Tories actually did fully advocate a flat tax? It would be interesting though if you could find some more info on this because even the idea that they considered it was actually unknown to me till you mentioned it.
slybaldguy wrote:By the way some of David Cameron's best friends use tax avoidance schemes. What are the odds of these loopholes being closed down?

No doubt some of Cameron’s pals use tax loopholes to keep their earnings, this has probably been going on since the beginning of politics and taxation. I didn’t actually say a word about tax loopholes though, purposefully leaving them out because it’s almost impossible to prevent a skillful lawyer finding a way to manipulate them. You know, where there’s an exemption there’s a loophole.
Yeah I would say you're a traditional conservative. I'm a social liberal, but I love reading about Edmund Burke and such. Welcome to the forum!
By The Immortal Goon
You're certainly a Marxist.

Don't think too much about it. Just do exactly as I say and agree with what I tell you to believe in. Soon the, "rough spots," in your Marxism will wash away and you'll join us. It's bliss

@FiveofSwords In previous posts, you have said[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]