Making Doctors Unaccountable for errors - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I know that there is an increasing demand for doctors. In an effort to bring more doctors into practice, the Bush Administration passed a law making doctors unaccountable for mishaps.

Doctors are already overworked, and fill up their schedule with as many patients as they possibly can. When they are this busy its easy for them to make careless mistakes.
Careless mistakes happen all the time, and now its the patient who is held accountable. If a mistake happens during your surgery, if you don't have health insurance, you still have to pay the bill, and any bills that accumulate from fixing those mistakes. You may even have to sell your house to pay it.

Will this law make doctors and surgeons more careless with patients?
By NYYS
Surely this can't be all there is to it? Sounds like they're banning malpractice lawsuits... do you have a link?
By Kylie
Though I would like more evidence to support this, doctors DO complain that malpractice insurance is incredibly high, so this would make some sort of sense.
By Zagadka
doctors DO complain that malpractice insurance is incredibly high

Well, fortunately for them, doctors in America (eventually) make shitloads of money. My psychiatrist - in clinic only, I don't know how much he gets for the hospital, but it is a lot - makes $100 for a 15 minute visit... that's $400 an hour for 6 hours sitting in a chair adjusting meds.

I don't feel all that sorry for them. Yea, getting through med school is a bitch, and even worse, students tend to graduate with hugh student loans, but if they're good, they'd gold. This is why there are so many foreign doctors in many parts of the US.
By Kylie
I agree Zag. I just know that many doctors complain that malpractice insurance is incredibly high, and if the OP is true, then it would make sense as to why he would pass this. I know that in his re-election campaign, before all the talk of gay marriage and war came about, this was one of the issues that Bush wanted to deal with, cause he saw it as a problem.

@QatzelOk It would, but @FiveofSwords is so […]

It is still the mainstream opinion of mainstream […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just h[…]

Quiz for 'educated' historians

Now...because I personally have read actual prima[…]