Marijuana linked to early pregnancy failure - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I had never expected it to have such negative results, mainly due to the propagandists failure to ever address such issues. No doubt, the likes of NORML need to take this into account.

Smoking marijuana can cause early pregnancy failure by affecting an internal signaling system that helps embryos pass safely from the ovary to the uterus, according to a recent study of mice that could have important implications for infertility in women.

Previous research from the early 1990s showed that marijuana-like compounds normally are produced in parts of the body, including sperm, eggs and newly formed embryos, according to the study published this month in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

Researcher Dr. Sudhansu K. Dey of Vanderbilt University said in the study that one such compound, called anandamide, was involved in regulating the early stages of pregnancy.
Investigators led by Dr. Haibin Wang of Vanderbilt University found that when mice were given the major psychoactive component of marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol, it created a "swamping" effect that caused the embryos to fail.

They speculated that a resulting deficiency in a fatty acid produced physiological changes that caused nature's signaling system to miss the normal window for embryo implantation in the uterus.

"The most significant aspect of the study is what it tells us about the normal reproductive process and how they are regulated by . . . the signaling system," said Herbert Schuel, professor emeritus of anatomy and cell biology at the University of New York-Buffalo School of Medicine.

In an accompanying commentary in the journal, Schuel said that a number of drugs in development or now used to suppress appetite or trigger weight loss through anandamide-signaling "need to be carefully evaluated to judge their effects on women of reproductive age and those that are pregnant."

Source
By chearn73
And alcohol and tobacco leads to a host of fetal issues, from deformaties to mental development issues, if consumed while pregnant...yet they are both perfectly legal.
By Avatan
Those do not have such strong affects before actual pregnancy.

They speculated that a resulting deficiency in a fatty acid produced physiological changes that caused nature's signaling system to miss the normal window for embryo implantation in the uterus.

I call bullshit on this one. If you smoke pot, all you have to do is take a fish oil tablet every week.

Smoked for 10 years now. So has my wife.

We have 2 extraordinarily cute and well-adjusted kids.

We never drink or smoke cigarettes...

And alcohol and tobacco leads to a host of fetal issues, from deformaties to mental development issues, if consumed while pregnant... yet they are both perfectly legal.

Negative effects of alcohol use:

- decreased coordination
- nausea, vomiting (vomiting while unconscious can kill)
- reduced impulse control
- emotional volatility (anger, violence, sadness, etc)
- frequent urination (more with beer or wine), diuretic effect
- dizziness and confusion
- blackouts and memory loss at high doses
- coma and death at extreme doses
- brain and liver damage (cirrhosis) with heavy use
- lowered inhibitions and increased confusion can lead to unwanted and negative sexual encounters (date rape)
hangover, lasting 12-36 hours, from mild to severe after heavy use
- fetus damage in pregnant women at high dose or frequency

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/alcohol ... ects.shtml

Negative effects of Marijuana use:

- problems with memory and learning
- distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)
- trouble with thinking and problem solving;
- loss of motor coordination
- increased heart rate
- regular use of marijuana may play a role in some kinds of cancer and in problems with the respiratory and immune systems

http://www.stopyouraddiction.com/html/marijuana.html

Is it 100% good for you? Of course not. It's an intoxicant. No one said that it was medicine for those who aren't ill and don't need it in order to combat nausea and pain... but it sure as Hell isn't as bad as alcohol... which there is an ad for on every channel and on every page of every magazine out there. Thousands of people literally drink themselves to death each year, but conservative authoritarians like C,WAS will never attack alcohol... they'll keep hitting away at pot... becuase it's an easy scapegoat.

Marijuana policy keeps the Mexicans in check, keeps the media heat off of the gun, liqour and tobacco lobbies, and keeps the courts crammed with cases that shouldn't be there in the first place in order to drive the authoritarian logic behind outlawing marijuana into our heads on a daily basis. This is simply a situation where logic fails to prevail in people's minds.

"That good ol' Jim who got drunk and hit that barn... it's OK. AA will straighten him out. Now these reffer-crazy pothead kids who have a higher education than we do... they smoke that evil stuff and they gots to go to jail! Pot today... drinking gasoline and robbing liqour stores tomorra!"

:roll:

Get a grip.
By kipper
marijuana damages the womb so your child is likely to have mental complications weither they be slight or severe. Ignorant smokers make me angry because of this.
By Ixa
And therefore, alcohol consumption should be prohibited.
By Foxwood
Quote:

And therefore, alcohol consumption should be prohibited.

Let people do what they like with their bodies. No drugs are good for the health but some are definetly fun :p
By dannymu
And therea re still governments trying to legaliese very drug! :roll:
By Paradigm
And therea re still governments trying to legaliese very drug! :roll:

As well they should, as marijuana is one of the least harmful drugs in existence. Even if this is true(I'm always suspicious of the latest marijuana propaganda, as it usually turns out to be flawed), it makes marijuana no worse than alcohol or tobacco. It's not a good idea to use any recreational drug while pregnant.
By dannymu
As well they should, as marijuana is one of the least harmful drugs in existence. Even if this is true(I'm always suspicious of the latest marijuana propaganda, as it usually turns out to be flawed), it makes marijuana no worse than alcohol or tobacco. It's not a good idea to use any recreational drug while pregnant.

I have always supported a ban in consumption of every kind of drugs like coke, marijuana and many others. Tobacco should be banned and its industry destroyed. And using drugs for recreational purposes is a ridiculous way of relaxing.
By dannymu
What do you know about relaxing?

:hmm: Not much. But enough to know using drugs is the worst thing someone can do to relax.
By Corporatist
Avatan, definitely a good call. Marijuana is far less damaging than alcohol: you can kill yourself from one night of drinking, but realistically, the only way to die on pot would be to fill up an enclosed environment with it (i.e. have a room full of Carbon monoxide).

Anyone who calls for the prohibition of alcohol usage needs to have a quick read up on the history of Prohibition :knife:
By tofit
The National Institute of Drug Abuse published this story.
You can read the actual story here.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/nida_notes/NNVo ... juana.html

This research was conducted by propigating mouse embryo in a cell culture. Then they added a natural chemical that our body produces Anadamide [/[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anandamide(url]
Anandamide's chemical structure is similar to the cannabinoids in THC. The anandamide receptors in the brain were given the name cannabinoid receptors. These receptors are throughout our body and are concentrated in many important area's such as the brain, and uterus.

Oh yeah, I, I, CWAS story also left this out.
Finally, Dr. Dey suggests, anandamide may prevent a second blastocyst from implanting nearby one that has already implanted. After the first one implants, the anandamide level in the surrounding area increases again, which prevents other blastocysts from implanting at the same site.

@QatzelOk I edited my last post just for you […]

Have you ever thought of why we support Ukraine? W[…]

The tomb certainly exists, doesn’t mean Abraham e[…]

...And the Jewish Agency, which took the governme[…]