Marijuana may stave off Alzheimer's - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
WASHINGTON, (Reuters) -- Good news for aging hippies: Smoking pot may stave off Alzheimer's disease.

New research shows that the active ingredient in marijuana may prevent the progression of the disease by preserving levels of an important neurotransmitter that allows the brain to function.

Researchers at the Scripps Research Institute in California found that marijuana's active ingredient, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, can prevent the neurotransmitter acetylcholine from breaking down more effectively than commercially marketed drugs.

THC is also more effective at blocking clumps of protein that can inhibit memory and cognition in Alzheimer's patients, the researchers reported in the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics.

The researchers said their discovery could lead to more effective drug treatment for Alzheimer's, the leading cause of dementia among the elderly.

Those afflicted with Alzheimer's suffer from memory loss, impaired decision-making, and diminished language and movement skills. The ultimate cause of the disease is unknown, though it is believed to be hereditary.

Marijuana is used to relieve glaucoma and can help reduce side effects from cancer and AIDS treatment.

Possessing marijuana for recreational use is illegal in many parts of the world, including the United States, though some states allow possession for medical purposes.

Link

Hmmm...If this is true, I wish they would have given some to my grandfather before his Alzheimer's progressed to its current state. I've also heard that marijuana also helps alleviate some of the symptoms that cancer patients experience when they go through chemotherapy and radiation.
By Zagadka
Hm, trade in short-term memory for long term memory...

I think a lot mor eexperimentation needs to be done with THC itself (including synthetics and alternate delivery methods), leaving the smoking of marijuana out of it.
By tofit
THC is one of the well known active ingredients, but there are many other chemicals in its resin. Its packed full of terpens and phytochemicals. Plant Phytochemicals are known for many healthy benefits. I think we should do more research on all of the phytochemicals within the plant.

THC is the chemical which mimics a natural brain chemical.
What other benefits could this plant's resin reveal?

He did not occupy czechoslovakia. The people ther[…]

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]