The benefits of a smoking-ban in public places in Scotland - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Ban will 'eradicate lung cancer'

Anecdotal evidence suggests more people may be giving up smoking
Lung cancer could be virtually wiped out in Scotland as a result of the smoking ban in public places, according to the chief medical officer.
Dr Harry Burns said lung cancer rates would be reduced to just a few hundred cases a year in the future.

In 2005, there were 4,000 recorded deaths from lung cancer in Scotland.

His annual report also said there were other signs of improving health, including increased life expectancy, breast feeding and immunisation rates.

Dr Burns said: "Imagining Scotland with no lung cancer is not trivial speculation.

"In the 1960s, one in 100 men died of lung cancer.

All the signs show that Scots are starting to take action to help the nation's health turn the corner

Dr Harry Burns
Chief medical officer

"Today, rates are falling all the time and thanks to the smoking ban, I expect the reduction in deaths to accelerate until dying from the disease becomes a rare occurrence.

"Anecdotal evidence shows that since the smoking ban, there has been a surge in the numbers of smokers seeking help to give up."

However, Neil Rafferty, from the Freedom Organisation for the Right to Enjoy Smoking Tobacco (Forest), accused Dr Burns of being irresponsible and painting a "completely misleading picture".

"The evidence from other countries shows that smoking bans have no significant effect on smoking rates," he said.

"Secondly, there is no conclusive evidence that lung cancer is caused by second hand smoke.

"We should really expect better of Dr Burns than to go around making such ludicrous claims."

We should really expect better of Dr Burns than to go around making such ludicrous claims

Neil Rafferty
Forest

Mr Rafferty said that by claiming such good results from the policy, the public could be misled into entrusting politicians with more power over people's lives.

Dr Burns said the smoking ban and other public health measures outlined in his annual report were also helping to reduce the incidence of heart disease and strokes.

The latest figures showed that deaths from heart disease fell by 5.2% between 2004 and 2005 and the overall incidence fell by 25% in the past 10 years.

He said: "All the signs show that Scots are starting to take action to help the nation's health turn the corner."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6120540.stm

I know there will be those still complaining against the smoing-ban but the benefits of it are out there for all to see. I'm now waiting for a similar ban in England and would have no problem at all with the EU creating a EU wide smoking-ban in public places.
By stannis
I love smoking bans :)

We got one of the first in the world in Ireland in 2004 and things have improved greatly... pubs and restaurants no longer have the odious fumes floating about and many people are giving up cigarettes (I was going to say 'fags' but I know the American reaction to that word).

And I couldn't give a monkey's fart about the civil rights of smokers in public places :D
By dannymu
And I couldn't give a monkey's fart about the civil rights of smokers in public places

Very very true. They are losing support and will soon stop campaigning against a breach of smokers' human rights. :lol:

A similar ban is needed in Portugal. I used to go into a bar in Portugal to watch English football and it was always full of smoke. >: And go to any busy bar or restaurant and you will see for youself how annoying it is to be in such places.
By prophetman
I am also in favor of smoking bans, but I would question the claim that smoking would eradicate lung cancer. At least not in America, which is my main concern. Scotland's 4000 is just a tad smaller a group than America's near 70,000 deaths. However, it is definetly an inevitable step in public health (hopefully)!
On Self Interest

@Wellsy But if we were to define "moral […]

He did not occupy czechoslovakia. The people ther[…]

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]