Is this place an echo chamber? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Please introduce yourself here.
So I've been a long long long time member of PoFo, but I basically left here around 10 years ago. I got sick of arguing politics in general and tired of what I saw as people's lack of ability to see beyond their own world view (I guess philosophically my view is: its best to drop your party allegiance and think with your mind and use common sense).

I eventually realized I couldn't give up talking and thinking about politics... And I basically started spending most of my time talking and reading about political issues on reddit...

Then this last presidential election happened which IMO destroyed all real political discourse on reddit... /r/politics turned into a pro-hillary echo chamber and the only other active subreddits were /r/the_donald which was obviously full on trump. I had a lot of trouble finding any subreddits that weren't echo chambers for one side or the other. Most of the sane discussion disappeared and there was little area for middle ground.

I'm interested in being active somewhere where there are people with varying viewpoints and perspectives, I don't want to hear the same viewpoints constantly. Then I remembered PoFo and wondered if this is still largely full of people with different perspectives and ideas? Would be interested to hear from people who are active here about there view on this.

Thanks! Thinking I may spend a lot more time here..
There are people here with no party affiliation, but it is hard to spot us with all the labels flying around.
PhilosoFlea wrote:So I've been a long long long time member of PoFo, but I basically left here around 10 years ago. I got sick of arguing politics in general and tired of what I saw as people's lack of ability to see beyond their own world view (I guess philosophically my view is: its best to drop your party allegiance and think with your mind and use common sense).

I eventually realized I couldn't give up talking and thinking about politics... And I basically started spending most of my time talking and reading about political issues on reddit...

Then this last presidential election happened which IMO destroyed all real political discourse on reddit... /r/politics turned into a pro-hillary echo chamber and the only other active subreddits were /r/the_donald which was obviously full on trump. I had a lot of trouble finding any subreddits that weren't echo chambers for one side or the other. Most of the sane discussion disappeared and there was little area for middle ground.

I'm interested in being active somewhere where there are people with varying viewpoints and perspectives, I don't want to hear the same viewpoints constantly. Then I remembered PoFo and wondered if this is still largely full of people with different perspectives and ideas? Would be interested to hear from people who are active here about there view on this.

Thanks! Thinking I may spend a lot more time here..
Good question. I think PoFo is kinda of an echo-chamber, and the 'groupspeak' can seem overwhelming if you challenge normalized mantras.

I saw as people's lack of ability to see beyond their own world view (I guess philosophically my view is: its best to drop your party allegiance and think with your mind and use common sense).
Many people struggle with this.
Last edited by RhetoricThug on 20 Dec 2016 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Bro you're one of those people that pretends to not have a political agenda while making apologisms for racists. And you refuse to discuss these things when challenged further. Just because you say you are apolitical doesn't mean you are. You're on a political forum ffs.
Hello PhilosoFlea,

Welcome back to the only forum that is not an echo-chamber.

PhilosoFlea wrote:Then I remembered PoFo and wondered if this is still largely full of people with different perspectives and ideas?

Indeed it is.

PhilosoFlea wrote:Thanks! Thinking I may spend a lot more time here..

Cheers, then I guess you will see for yourself.

From all the places online this one has the least amount of groupspeak which inevitably develops among any community of any kind, but circle-jerking is discouraged and the rules are applied equally. There are no non-sense rules here like in the various sub-reddits, people with basic human courtesy never have an issue in this community.
And even many people without basic human courtesy still mange to muddle along. :lol:

Anyway welcome back in the fold prodigal son!
@LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX
If your comments are directed at me, please note it would not be proper for me to respond to you in this thread.
Thanks for all the feedback! I take the diversity of responses potentially as a good thing :)

Just to clarify I am not claiming I don't have any political views just that I try not to adopt them from a political party. From the political compass I am

Economic Left/Right: 0.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Which if there is any party similar to that I suppose it would be closest the pirate party (perhaps slightly right of it).
It more closely resembles an anechoic chamber. Your words are instantly absorbed and transformed into random Brownian motion.

I understand that, but my point was that speciati[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]