Just signed up today. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Please introduce yourself here.
Hi everybody, I've been using "right to left" a lot, as a user name on Twitter (only social media I like) and a small discussion forum that is shrinking into insignificance and will likely go dark soon. Right to left describes my political trajectory in this brave new century. I would have considered myself conservative-leaning libertarian in the 90's.

What changed? Well, most of my drift back to leftwing attitudes of my youth, is guided mostly by realizing that the capitalism I and most of my generation have benefited from during my working life, will completely collapse at some point in the future...as we use up more and more natural resources at breakneck speed. But, we've already done so much ecological damage, the end of economic growth won't likely stave off a developing mass extinction. And to make things really interesting, great powers...primarily the USA, seem to be setting the table for direct war with Russia and China...what could go wrong!

So, I have a hard time seeing much of a future for my children and all the others and coming generations waiting to be born. And when it comes to fighting the immense and ruthless powers of capitalism today, the left is even more fragmented today than it was in my youth...and I'm not much help on this either, at least not yet! Can leftwing governance end resource-fueled wars and create economies that provide the necessities and a decent life for everyone, while functioning within the limits of what the Natural Economy will allow us all to use? I certainly hope so! Time will tell! Well, time to get started and explore around a bit.
Stormsmith wrote:Hi, welcome to PoFo. Hope you have as much fun as we do.

So far, so good! Although I've been lurking and considering signing up for a long time now, one of the things that put me off is there's just so much here! I'll have to take my time and pace myself, and maybe not get on to many threads to keep up with. There's too much happening in the world to follow everything that's going on.
MistyTiger wrote:Welcome to PoFo!

News depresses me so I turn to sitcoms for laughs. :D

Most of the people in my everyday life...family, friends, coworkers have little interest or much awareness of what's going on in the world, so aside from one of my sons who occasionally talks about these kinds of issues, all I need to do is shut off the computer and I won't hear about anything really important aside from the trivia posing as news on TV.
right to left wrote:Most of the people in my everyday life...family, friends, coworkers have little interest or much awareness of what's going on in the world, so aside from one of my sons who occasionally talks about these kinds of issues, all I need to do is shut off the computer and I won't hear about anything really important aside from the trivia posing as news on TV.

Same here. With the exception of a few smart men, most everyone is too busy thinking about the weather, bills, and family stuff.
Perhaps some time in the left can convince you that the wings are nuts and that centre is the least bad option.

This way started because the Israeli government an[…]

Taiwan-China crisis.

I'm sure some do, but there isn't a huge swell of[…]

What the hell are you talking about? The women ab[…]

Slavery was legal and present throughout the Amer[…]