Graaf DirckIII hops on board - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Please introduce yourself here.
By Yeddi
HERE HERE! I've been telling people that forever. The country is the Netherlands god damn it!

My link to the Netherlands is very simple. My mum was born there and her family is from there. I love her maiden Name in'tVeld... how groovy the Capital is in the middle! man i'm so pathetic.

Anyway, VELCOME Dutchman, Velcome to the POFO! :)
By Adrien
Hehe, welcome my friend! I hope to see you around in the Europe forum soon.

Oh and i must confess that i also make mistake with Holland (Hollande) and Netherlands (Pays-Bas) and dutch (Neerlandais). Three different words for one kind of thing it's too much for me.

:)

But there's one thing i do know about Netherlands: your cheeses are not as good as ours!

(edit: i forgot, my english teacher married a Dutch, and her name is Mrs. van Duijvenvoorde... quite hard to pronounce!)
By Boondock Saint
DOH!

I feel somewhat responsible!

Am I responsible for this?

Did I do this?

OH LORD!

Welcome to the forum.
By Graaf DirckIII
Am I responsible for this?

Did I do this?

Well....yes :D
Oh and i must confess that i also make mistake with Holland (Hollande) and Netherlands (Pays-Bas) and dutch (Neerlandais). Three different words for one kind of thing it's too much for me.

That's because most foreigners can't pronounce the simple word
Nederland ;) (at least not without rupturing their vocal chords :lol:)
By Xawery
Graaf DirckIII! We meet again, my ally and nemesis!

He is indeed quite right in saying that Holland as such does not exist.. The name has been created by Louis Napoleon during the French occupation of the Low Lands, if I am not mistaken... Holland is in fact merely a province (two actually - North and South).
Then again, it is hardly suprising that this mistake arose, seeing as foreigners have made a habit out of misinterpreting Dutch terms and names. For example, the position of Stadhouder has often been translated as Cityholder (for example in the otherwise fine game Civilisation), while in fact it means the same as lieutenant, 'one who holds [the position of power] in [the ruler's] stead'. This title originates from before the Dutch rebellion against the Spaniards.

Be that as it may, I think you all will be interested in knowing that Dirck III is actually the name of a chain of liquor stores in the Netherlands :evil:

Ave atque vale,
Xawery the Business Pimp
By Yeddi
Yes I read somewhere that the Netherlands was/is made up of 2 'provinces'/'areas' Holland and Zeeland... maybe there was a third... Orange... or maybe i made that up, anyway....
By Xawery
Yeddi wrote:Yes I read somewhere that the Netherlands was/is made up of 2 'provinces'/'areas' Holland and Zeeland... maybe there was a third... Orange... or maybe i made that up, anyway....

The latter, I'm afraid :p The Netherlands consist of 12 provinces, namely: (copy-paste:))
Groningen
Fryslân (Friesland)
Drenthe
Overijssel
Gelderland
Utrecht
Noord-Holland
Zuid-Holland
Zeeland
Noord-Brabant
Limburg
Flevoland

There you go:) Useless trivia no-one will remember in 20 minutes:)

regards,
X.
By Yeddi
Oh well.
I hope to go back to the Netherlands in a couple of years...when i have some money. :roll: I hate the way money governs our lives
By ZenWilsonian
Awww, why do I have to be stuck in the UK with crap weed?

I mean, there you are enjoying it with even your own cafés for it.

Welcome aboard. What are your views?
By sokath
Welcome aboard. Any man with their name taken from a chain of liquor stores is a man I want around on this board. Huzzah! :lol:

Any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Cheers,

S./
By Proctor
Ah Ha! That must make me the fifth living New Zealander to know where the origianal Zealand is. :)

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]