US Presidential election 2024 thread. - Page 40 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Potemkin wrote:The British people have been eating shit for almost a thousand years, ever since William the Bastard (his real name, btw - the upper classes here don’t even hide what they are, because they don’t give a fuck) shot an arrow into the eye of Harold the Loser in 1066. They’ve got used to the taste by now. They think all sandwiches are meant to taste like that.

This is concisely the main argument set forth by the late Thomas Paine , whom wrote the treatises Common Sense , and Rights of Man . Incidentally , I have been reading a biography of Paine , called "The Life of Thomas Paine" , by James Cheetham . The only thing that I've to add , in critique of Paine's ideas , is that I am of the opinion that , unlike with the President of Germany , the President of the United States has been able to amass dictatorial executive powers that rival that of any monarch , and can potentially become as tyrannical .
Rugoz wrote:a) It didn't "blow up the economy". No idea how people can say this with a straight face.
b) I doubt Johnson's deal would have been approved by a popular majority.

Since the 2014 UK didn't have a year where it grew faster than the European Union in %. So for 8 years UK grew slower with the "exception" being the post covid years but to say that you would need to disregard that UK lost almost 2 times more GDP than the EU 5.5% vs 10+%. Usually it was back and forward and before the vote UK grew faster than the European Union by a percent or a bit more 3-4 years straight behind the vote.

And even in 2023 EU outgrew UK by a bit although we are obviously more hit by the war in Ukraine and sanctions that we needed to impose on Russia. So overall, we are not only far larger economically but also growing faster sometimes a bit, sometimes a lot even under unfavourable global circumstances. Now think a bit what will happen when the situation in Ukraine stabilises and we are not weighted down as much by the war, helping refugees or introducing new sanctions on Russia. So the gap will become wider and wider over time. And at some point it will become so critical that everyone will just name UK "The Sick man of Europe" again.

Compound interest/percentages and all that.

Worldbank data: https://data.worldbank.org/
JohnRawls wrote:...Since the 2014 UK didn't have a year where it grew faster than the European Union in %. ...

Rich wrote:The Normans abolished slavery.

There's a lot for Biden and Trump to chew on in this thread. Lots of ideas to consider. And I know that they read pofo. Most of the 3000 lurkers are their security guards and advisors.

Should Trump bring back slavery?

Should Biden bring the USA into the EU?

What should their platforms say about eating shit sandwiches and other issues that concern the common people?
QatzelOk wrote:There's a lot for Biden and Trump to chew on in this thread. Lots of ideas to consider. And I know that they read pofo. Most of the 3000 lurkers are their security guards and advisors.

Should Trump bring back slavery?

Should Biden bring the USA into the EU?

What should their platforms say about eating shit sandwiches and other issues that concern the common people?

Joining the EU would be a geniuses move if they were allowed to. It would bring around 2-5ths to 3/7ths of all votes to US within the EU so it would need a only a bit of allies to actually run both the US and EU at the same time.

But that is not going to happen because the US electorate will go nuts probably. Lets say Canada joins along with the US then I think Canada+UK rejoining(fan fiction)+US would run the EU basically.

ONce again, its not going to happen because the Germans/French wouldn't allow this and US electorate will go nuts.
JohnRawls wrote:Joining the EU would be a geniuses move if they were allowed to. ...

You only say this because you're a Democrat.

If we could find a more unifying president - an ecumenical hero for president - he might promise to:

1. Join the EU

2. Allow states to re-introduce slavery on a "voluntary basis"

3. Draw the USA border back to the Appalachians and give the rest of North America back to the First Nations and French Canadians

I think this kind of platform or radical change could really help the economy and re-unite a divided nation.
If Trump faces Biden, then Biden will lose, as Biden has been shown to be incompetent, unhealthy, and senile. Democrats need to find a STRONG opponent to Trump, or USA will get 4 more years of Trump, whose policies did not turn out to be as bad as most people thought(better than Biden's).
Trump fell on his face yesterday at the Libertarian conference. Basically got booed like crazy, called a traitor, dictator, etc.

Now, of course the Libertarian party is tiny, but good to see they are not compromising their principals (as stupid as they may be), just to win. Then again Libertarians are probably like the most true to their ideology than just about anyone else.
Rancid wrote:Trump fell on his face yesterday at the Libertarian conference. Basically got booed like crazy, called a traitor, dictator, etc.

Now, of course the Libertarian party is tiny, but good to see they are not compromising their principals (as stupid as they may be), just to win. Then again Libertarians are probably like the most true to their ideology than just about anyone else.

Libertarians are the right-wing equivalent of Marxist-Leninists. Lol.
Tainari88 wrote:I need to hear Potemkin's critique of UK society more often.

As a financial professional, here is my critique of the UK: They suck and are morons. That's why they voted to blow up their economy, because they're idiots. All of their eel farms are dry because they decided to burn 50+ years of trade treaties to keep blue eyed, blonde haired Polaks out of their country for reasons of racial purity for a people whose teeth jut out of their gums at acute angles and "blue blood" is a polite term for being a rich, inbred hemophiliac.

A country so racist they would call Meghan Markle the N-word if it didn't sound silly in their accent. And don't get me started on what a British person looks like on their second day in Los Angeles, because they have literally never had a need for sunscreen lotion. You think a tomato is red? You haven't seen a British person on vacation in Southern California.

WW1 basically transferred all the wealth from Britain's centuries long effort of colonization, the time when "the sun never sets on the British empire" by moving gold to America.

Then they did it again in WW2. Except this time, the bad guys won.

Now I'm not going to laud the Federal Reserve here, but twice in the 20th century they were faced with a problem: "Our allies in Europe gave us all the gold. ALL of the gold. We have a gold based international economy. How do we give them some gold back without making them feel bad about it?"

Anyway, Britain is a dipshit loser country that now attacks individual nurses who can't keep their children alive in their failing healthcare system while ranting about trans people. I expect they will be begging us for the gift of fire within 15 years.
Rancid wrote:Trump fell on his face yesterday at the Libertarian conference. Basically got booed like crazy, called a traitor, dictator, etc...

He's just the lying face of mafia money, just like Biden.

What a democracy we live in. Ignorant morons get to choose between bankster-selected miscreants to see who gets to blow up the world (for the banksters) before the US dollar collapses.

The drooling public need drama. They are bored to tears in their Dodge Rams, driving past the same ugly malls every day. They might even WANT TO die, and are determined to let their own government pull the trigger.
Last edited by QatzelOk on 27 May 2024 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Rancid wrote:Trump fell on his face yesterday at the Libertarian conference. Basically got booed like crazy, called a traitor, dictator, etc.

Yeah I watched a little bit of it because I was curious to see how Trump reacts outside his bubble. And he was really pissed but it was honestly kinda boring.

I don't think it was principals though. Look at previous Libertarian conferences. Gary Johnson got booed, hard, for saying that needing a driver's license to drive a car, wasn't a bad thing.

At one point Trump was getting booed and he was like, "Go ahead... go ahead, get your 3% a year without me, I guess you're happy losing" which was legit funny. I don't even know why he was there. It reminds me of a dumb story about him looking at the electoral map in 2015 and saying, "California has a lot of votes, why don't I campaign there?" But someone is getting fired over this, this speech did not go well.

QatzelOk wrote:He's just the lying face of mafia money, just like Biden.

What a democracy we live in. Ignorant morons get to choose between bankster-selected miscreants to see who gets to blow up the world (for the banksters) before the US dollar collapses.

The drooling public need drama. They are bored to tears in their Dodge Rams, driving past the same ugle malls every day. They might even WANT TO die, and are determined to let their own government pull the trigger.

Why wouldn't I trust the bank? They keep my money safe. And insure me, free of cost, through the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.

What have your weak bicycles done for me lately? A bicycle ran down my grandmother. We couldn't even have an open casket funeral.
Last edited by SpecialOlympian on 27 May 2024 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
SpecialOlympian wrote:...Did you just run your response through chat GPT?

No, I used a Ouija board to write my post.

Lots of suburan bungalow dwellers have one of these gathering dust in the attic.

Like Biden, you can always whip it out for nostalgia... on a bored Saturday evening in front of the screen listening to the lawn mowers of the after-dinner set.

The ignorance that suburbia has created... is evident in the low quality of both presidential candidates AND the ideas that they sell.
SpecialOlympian wrote:I don't even know why he was there.

He surrounds himself with yes men. Odds are, he was told over and over that he can win over that crowd because they are right wing.
JohnRawls wrote:Since the 2014 UK didn't have a year where it grew faster than the European Union in %.

:eh:

The vote was in 2016. The withdrawal agreement was finalized in 2020. The exit from the common market and the customs union happened in 2021.

It's one thing to show that investment and exports have decreased since Brexit, it's another thing entirely to prove a causal link. For example, exports have decreased across the board, not only to the EU. I think it's fair to say there's no consensus about the size of the impact at this point, other than it being negative.

Just as an example. Here's a plot of the GDP of France and the UK:
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY ... ions=GB-FR

Based on this, can you claim that there was Brexit and everything went to shit? There are many other factors at play.
Israel's military exemption bill

Yet they certainly don't mind getting government […]

It's odd, given that the latest report by the IPC […]

@FiveofSwords Accusation, as is recognised in […]

If China (take back Outer Manchuria) invaded Mo[…]