Lake buried under two miles of ice found to teem with life - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Analysis of ice cores obtained from the basin of Lake Vostok, the subglacial lake that Russian scientists drilled down to in 2012, have revealed DNA from an estimated 3,507 organisms.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -life.html

Politics aside for once, this is fairly major news. This means Jupiter's moon Europa is a very enticing proposition, in regards to further exploration for life in our solar system.
Odd, I was just doing a shallow review of colonization proposals and issues for different places. I think Europa's a bit further down the line, but yes, it means a lot. Though, I'm not sure why we're particularly surprised, given the amount of life that exists at the polar ice caps and Volcanic vents, and even in arsenic.
Would be pretty awesome to have human civilization on moon Europa. Since warping space and traveling at/faster speed of light is highly unlikely, I think that the best think humankind can do when it comes to space exploration and finding other species/living forms is to populate these regions one by one, like building a chain, gradually.
When they discovered that sea creatures exist near the sea vents so far deep down and that other bacteria lifeforms existed in the hot, hot, hot springs of Yellowstone it was pretty much the same thing. So, in one sense, this is not really "new" but simply showing the other side of this coin.

While I appreciate that the ramifications for science are perhaps large, call me back when you find a new creature visible to the eye or a bacteria that kills cancer. I just fail to get super excited at small variations of the same principle and there's no tangible creature or benefit.
Verv wrote:While I appreciate that the ramifications for science are perhaps large, call me back when you find a new creature visible to the eye or a bacteria that kills cancer. I just fail to get super excited at small variations of the same principle and there's no tangible creature or benefit.

Will a virus do?

[youtube]h6SzI2ZfPd4[/youtube]
I just fail to get super excited at small variations of the same principle and there's no tangible creature

Bacteria are the most important and hefty (by biomass) element of life on earth. They have the capacity to terraform. They are responsible for our existence. They exist inside us, helping us function. Bacteria are the bees knees.

It would necessarily follow that jews were never […]

In the longer term, Israel will have to concede t[…]

Yea, that would work for me. Don't be daft. That[…]

So we see that even here leftists like @Pants-of-[…]