US Presidential election 2024 thread. - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Istanbuller wrote:US elections will be a decider for the Russia-Ukraine war. Fiscal conservatives do not want America send more money to Ukraine. Everything falls down to Congress elections, not presidential election.

Not really, we will just produce more in Europe but it will take a bit more time and more Ukranians will die. Otherwise, US support is very beneficial but is not a must. American sacrificing what they have built in the last 100 years foreign relations wise is amusing though.
JohnRawls wrote:Not really, we will just produce more in Europe but it will take a bit more time and more Ukranians will die. Otherwise, US support is very beneficial but is not a must. American sacrificing what they have built in the last 100 years foreign relations wise is amusing though.

Is this a joke?

Europe, Turkey, rich Middle East countries all bowed to Russia in early times of the war due to past experiences of the bear poking them.

95% of foreign efforts to counter Russia comes from America. Ukraine would fall in weeks without America's support.
ingliz wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cukmTZLyMlw

In 90 minutes, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments on the former President's 14th Amendment case.

When the whole shebang is over, we will know if Trump's eligibility to be on the ballot in various states is going to be upheld by the SCOTUS or kicked down the road and allow him to delay the decision until after the Republican GOP nomination process is done.

I wonder if the Conservative Justices appointed by him like Kavanaugh, Coney, and Gorsuch are going to side with Alito and Thomas and let him become the main man in the GOP and find out if any ole ex convict can be the next president....LOL.

See if they are Puppets, or are gonna throw the conman from Queens under the bus and save their own asses...or be his savior....have the MAGA crowd angry and threatening to kill the Supreme Court sellout Judges like they did to Mike Pence who did not obey their dear leader?

Lol. The US has those people in there for life.

Donald Trump did a lot of damage.
Tainari88 wrote:
When the whole shebang is over, we will know if Trump's eligibility to be on the ballot in various states is going to be upheld by the SCOTUS or kicked down the road and allow him to delay the decision until after the Republican GOP nomination process is done.

I wonder if the Conservative Justices appointed by him like Kavanaugh, Coney, and Gorsuch are going to side with Alito and Thomas and let him become the main man in the GOP and find out if any ole ex convict can be the next president....LOL.

See if they are Puppets, or are gonna throw the conman from Queens under the bus and save their own asses...or be his savior....have the MAGA crowd angry and threatening to kill the Supreme Court sellout Judges like they did to Mike Pence who did not obey their dear leader?

It's over.

While it's not clear which way they will jump, there seems to be a consensus that there will have to be a national approach, not done state by state.

It's a complicated mess. Hopefully their decision won't make it worse.
JohnRawls wrote:Anything might happen but the chances of that are very low.

Agreed, but you never know with the Democrats.
Tainari88 wrote:When the whole shebang is over, we will know if Trump's eligibility to be on the ballot in various states is going to be upheld by the SCOTUS or kicked down the road and allow him to delay the decision until after the Republican GOP nomination process is done.

An enormous amount of damage, much of which, I think, remains to be fully realised.

It's difficult to understand the mindset that fails to see Trump for the con man he is, and reveres him.

A sizeable win for the Democrats in November, (or the SCOTUS ruling against him and allowing states to keep him off the ballots) is going to be really interesting.
@late

The way I see it.

The Court will allow him to stand for election and hope to see the federal court case conclude before he is inaugurated.

If he is found to be an insurrectionist before he takes office, he is automatically disqualified.

If not, or if he is convicted after he takes office, you are stuck with him, as they will wash their hands and throw it back to Congress.
ingliz wrote:[usermention=41202]

@late[/usermention]

The way I see it.

The Court will allow him to stand for election and hope to see the federal court case conclude before he is inaugurated.

If he is found to be an insurrectionist before he takes office, he is automatically disqualified.

If not, or if he is convicted after he takes office, you are stuck with him, as they will wash their hands and throw it back to Congress.

Ugggh.

I would love to disagree with that, but you're right.

I've seen a couple of legal experts say they were trying to avoid the politics of the situation as much as was possible. That includes the Dem judges.

So Trump won't be disqualified.

Ugly situation likely to get even uglier..
Beren wrote:Trump will be allowed to enter the arena, otherwise he couldn't be properly slaughtered and the public would get rightfully upset, too.

Honestly I am conflicted here. He should be charged for treason and hanged/shot for January and this should have happened long ago. Now, obviously we live in a more "humane" time but he should have been punished severely anyways which didn't happen.

Now it is a bit late for that because the 2nd round is coming and punishing him will create only bad results.
JohnRawls wrote:Cheating doesn't work that well in Democratic societies.

Actually, it works very well indeed. JFK got the Presidency by cheating, Bush Jr got the Presidency by cheating, and then invaded Iraq by cheating, and so on. Cheating clearly works, which is why so many politicians do it. It’s a no-brainer, really. :)
Potemkin wrote:Actually, it works very well indeed. JFK got the Presidency by cheating, Bush Jr got the Presidency by cheating, and then invaded Iraq by cheating, and so on. Cheating clearly works, which is why so many politicians do it. It’s a no-brainer, really. :)

Not sure what Iraq invasion has to do with this but okay. Bush JR and Gore race was a very close race and Supreme court stopped the full recount so not sure how Bush cheated here. Same goes for Nixxon vs Kennedy. You are comparing 2 races on a literal knifes edge for a reason. That is because you have no evidence whatsoever besides rumors and opinions. Find some real evidence that was proven and there was Nixxon election bullshit but oh wait he got punished for that.
JohnRawls wrote:
Cheating doesn't work that well in Democratic societies.

It does if it succeeds, and they stop being democratic...

(btw, Dem with a capital D means the party. But democrat with a small d means the system of government)
How bad has gerrymandering been between 2020 and 2024? This is the one thing that could give Trump an edge. He will certainly use the popular vote, but he could still win given how well Republicans have manipulated the system in their favor.

That party also has no problem installing dictatorship if they could.

No one wins. Of course the best die in wars. A[…]

The destruction reminds me of the Six-Day War when[…]

@Unthinking Majority Palestinians are the nativ[…]

This is... not entirely wrong, I think, because J[…]