Oldest voice in the U.S. Congress denounces war - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The oldest voice in the U.S. Congress rose on Wednesday to denounce as misguided President Bush's march to war with Iraq.

"Today I weep for my country," said West Virginia Democrat Sen. Robert Byrd. "No more is the image of America one of strong, yet benevolent peacekeeper. ... Around the globe, our friends mistrust us, our word is disputed, our intentions are questioned.

"We flaunt our superpower status with arrogance," Byrd said, adding: "After war has ended the United States will have to rebuild much more than the country of Iraq. We will have to rebuild America's image around the globe."

Byrd, who has been a leading foe on Capitol Hill of war with Iraq, spoke in a nearly empty Senate chamber about four hours before Bush's 8 p.m. EST deadline for Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) to leave Iraq or face a U.S.-led invasion.

"May God continue to bless the United States of America in the troubled days ahead, and may we somehow recapture the vision which for the present eludes us," Byrd said.

As the white-haired senator concluded his remarks, a number of people in the visitor's gallery rose and applauded before they were admonished to be quiet.

At 85, Byrd is now the oldest member of Congress as well as the longest serving. He was first elected to the Senate in 1958, after six years in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Byrd was among those who voted last year against the congressional resolution that authorized Bush to use force in his showdown with Saddam, and the senator has given frequent floor speeches since then warning against war.

Polls on Wednesday showed strong American support for a war but widespread opposition to it overseas.

"The case this administration tries to make to justify its fixation with war is tainted by charges of falsified documents and circumstantial evidence," Byrd said.

Despite administration suggestions to the contrary, Byrd said, "There is no credible information to connect Saddam Hussein to 9/11."

The senator said, "We cannot convince the world of the necessity of this war for one simple reason. This is a war of choice."

Byrd said that instead of negotiating, Washington demanded obedience or threatened recrimination. "Instead of isolating Saddam Hussein, we seem to have isolated ourselves."

He said many questions about the looming war were unanswered -- including how long it would last, what it would cost, what its ultimate mission was.

"A pall has fallen over the Senate chamber," Byrd said. "We avoid our solemn duty to debate the one topic on the minds of all Americans, even while scores of thousands of our sons and daughters faithfully do their duty in Iraq."
Last edited by CasX on 20 Mar 2003 04:55, edited 1 time in total.
By sokath
And here I thought you were talking about Strom Thurmond. Which made me go like this ( :eek: ) because he's one of the biggest supporters of Bush, ever....

sigh, I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks...

S./
By CasX
When I found this news story I didn't know that Byrd is a psycho-white-supremist-racist :eh: .

The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth in West Virginia... It is necessary that the order be promoted immediately and in every state in the Union. Will you please inform me as to the possibility of rebuilding the Klan realm of W. Va?"

-- Byrd's letter to the Klan's Imperial Wizard, 1946

"[I will] never submit to fight beneath that banner [the American flag] with a Negro by my side. Rather would I die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."

-- 1947 letter to segregationist senator Theodore Bilbo (D, Miss.)

"There are white N*****. I've seen a lot of white N***** in my time."

-- Fox News Sunday, March 4, 2001

What the hell? How did this guy get elected?
By sokath
CasX wrote:"There are white N*****. I've seen a lot of white N***** in my time."

:lol: It's true! There are! Bahahahah :lol: He should really get with the contemporary parlance... they're called W*****... W*****.. :lol:

(note: I just don't like thugged-out whiteboys, that's all)

CasX wrote:What the hell? How did this guy get elected?

I don't know. How did ANY of those idiots in the US get elected?

S./
By CasX
sokath wrote:I don't know. How did ANY of those idiots in the US get elected?

I read that and I asked myself, 'yeah, how the hell did Bush get elected?' then I though of the answer: he didn't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 500 employees and has the following statistics:
29 have been accused of spousal abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

19 have been accused of writing bad checks

117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

14 have been arrested on drug related charges

8 have been arrested for shoplifting

21 are currently defendants in lawsuits

84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is?

Give up yet?

It's the 535 members of the United States Congress.
By Russian
hahaahahhaha thats awesome info
where did u get it?
World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

You might be surprised and he might wind up being[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]