Should the Democratic and Republican Parties be Destroyed? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Should the Democratic and Republican Parties be Destroyed?

Yes
51%
No
23%
All Political Parties Should Be Abolished
21%
Other
5%
This is a ridiculous question, posed for purely academic reasons.

Strangely enough, as Obama's term has begun, it seems that the divide between "Republicans" and "Democrats" is quickly growing larger. Well, maybe it isn't strange.

So, my question, with a caveat, is this: would America benefit from the absolute annihilation of the Republican and Democratic Parties? The caveat is as follows: the former members of said parties cannot simply form the Conservative Party and the Liberal Party and continue as if nothing had happened.

Former members of the parties would be divided equally among many new entities; for instance, Russ Feingold and Ron Paul might be delegated to a New Constitutionalist party. I realize that this is impossible in reality, but I think it's an interesting thought experiment. The parties serve no purpose but to divide our nation along imaginary ideological lines while distracting us from the pragmatic issues we face on a daily basis.
By Potemkin
Yes. Yes, they should.

That is all.
By redcarpet
Yes, they're a disgrace to their country, its history and people.

"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"(Oliver Cromwell)
By Nets
No.
By The Immortal Goon
There would need to be some systematic change as you're proposing a parliamentary system in a congressional structure.

If you add a "vote-off" like in France you'd be good enough.
By Beren
Yes, and the whole socioeconomic and political system should change fundamentally.
By Kman
Yes banish all political parties and make me supreme leader of the world.
By Figlio di Moros
Cheesecake_Marmalade wrote:Yes; political parties abolished.

Agreed; while it won't necessarily eliminate partisan politics, it'll eliminate the means through which they're generally employed. They make it far easier to seperate into partisan bickering.
By NoRapture
And what if a giant crocodile playing a saxophone flew up your butt? Would you:
A
B
C
By LiquidPony
Why were the responses to this poll changed?

It seems that all of the poll responses from today have been lost, as well. Thanks ... :?:

NoRapture wrote:And what if a giant crocodile playing a saxophone flew up your butt? Would you:
A
B
C

Thanks for the thoughtful response ...
By Wolfman
Mods probably reset the poll because one of the options was something about calling the op an idiot.
By LiquidPony
Wolfman wrote:Mods probably reset the poll because one of the options was something about calling the op an idiot.

Probably, but I would've changed it had I been asked. Just trying to have a little fun with a relatively silly question.
By Le Rouge
The greatest punishment you can enact on your enemies is to make them irrelevant, destruction is only half as pleasing.
By Monorprise
Not that you could do it, doing it would serve no point your still talking about the same inherently power-hunger and corrupted group of people (Politicians) no matter how you "affiliate them."

We can't change the darker side of human nature, the best we can do is deal with and check it better.

The problem is not the political party's is the self-corrupting nature of their power and office.

If we want to fix government we have to decentralize power and bring it back closer to the people, where it can be more easily watch and checked.

Our problem roots from the centralization of power which is the corrupting concentration of power, distant from the people's(the source) reach and view, thus enabling such blind corruption and power grabs to go so easily unchecked.

As Americans we have a built in institutional system of tools to address exactly this kind of problem which our founders were very much aware of, its call the States, its long past time we start using them again to keep the power of Central government check-able, and manageable.
http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/
By Cheesecake_Marmalade
Agreed; while it won't necessarily eliminate partisan politics, it'll eliminate the means through which they're generally employed. They make it far easier to seperate into partisan bickering.

This, also whatever form of representation we have will be separated by more important and less arbitrary divisions than "democrat? vote this way, republican? vote this way". If we are to continue the democratic system at all it would have to be under politics that make it impossible to negate a well thought vote with a check of a box.
By Monorprise
This, also whatever form of representation we have will be separated by more important and less arbitrary divisions than "democrat? vote this way, republican? vote this way". If we are to continue the democratic system at all it would have to be under politics that make it impossible to negate a well thought vote with a check of a box.

First of all you cant get rid of political party's because they form of ideological allegiance among men. (Their choice, not ours)

The best we can do is refuses to recognized their existence, that means getting our State governments to take the party information off the ballot, and force people to pick from names, based upon their knowledge of the individual.

The political affiliations will still exist, and the problems will not be solved by this effort, as the power already held by those in office will have superior name recognition and means to buy reelection, then any who might challenge them.

I'm telling you if you want to fix the corruption problem the only thing you can really do is decentralize power bring it closer to the people and less concentrated in any one place, office, or group of men.

Corruption runs rampant when too much power and attention is given to too few people.
By Cheesecake_Marmalade
^ Or I could ban political parties and make anyone affiliated with them be tried as members of a criminal organization. See, I don't "have" to do anything.
By Monorprise
Cheesecake_Marmalade wrote:^ Or I could ban political parties and make anyone affiliated with them be tried as members of a criminal organization. See, I don't "have" to do anything.

Yes Miss Stalin, But as your humble surf may I be so bold as to point out the glaring piratical fact that even with in a large "political party" (Called no party, or whatever) there are in effect sub-partys/interest groups, whether they are recognized or not.
You can't out law them, all you can do is ignore them, and if you do as the communist did in seeking them out you will become a dictator in distorting all opposition, just like they did.

It is not with in your or my capability to destroy political party's, because we cant stop people from forming ideological alliances with each other.

All we can do is choose not to recognize them. (Some might compare that to putting our heads in the sand. But I believe in truth it really can have some practical benefits in terms of weakening the bonds of such a party.)

What interests are those? Helping Ukraine to de[…]

@wat0n Your obsession with sexual violence is[…]

Since you keep insisting on pretending that the I[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]