Is Israel European? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Is Israel European?

Yes
26%
No
70%
Other
4%
By Dr House
After the "is _ European" meme, I thought I'd post another legit European-ness poll.

So, is it? Why or why not?
By Nets
No.
By Dr House
Why not?
By Fasces
It is neither geographically nor culturally European. Israel has a very high Muslim minority, and the Jews were never quite European to begin with - hence centuries of aggression by European societies.
By Aekos
Oh wait I change my answer to "No"

I was thinking of "European" and not "European European"
By W01f
No, less so than Turkey and the Anglosphere. I'd like to hear someone justify how it is though, aside from the fact that a lot of Europeans/Russians Jews live there.
By Meslocusist
I voted yes, but I think the best description is semi-European. Perhaps on par with the Balkans, so not European like France or Germany, but European like the less Europeanized parts of Europe.

Semi-European, perhaps, or very heavily influenced by Europe.
By Aekos
Perhaps on par with the Balkans, so not European like France or Germany, but European like the less Europeanized parts of Europe.

What the fuck's "Europeanized" supposed to mean?
By robin1
What does European here mean? White?

(And yeah "European European" and "Europeanized"... um, wtf?)
By Ter
Until a few months ago, I would have said no, but it seems Turkey is now considered part of Europe so now I voted yes. I visited both Turkey and Israel several times and I get the same feeling in both places.

Ter
By Decky
No as it is not in Europe, what is so hard about this?
By ingliz
No
By redcarpet
No, neither by geography or culture. In my view.
By stalker
Yes.

In the sense that the Crusader kingdoms during the Middle Ages were "European", being outposts of a European ideological project that could only survive in the long-term with European / Western aid. (I think that would be a good historical analogy).

PS. This is not to disparage Israel, which is in many ways an excellent country, but to recognize it for what it is.
By Igor Antunov
Yes.

In the sense that the Crusader kingdoms during the Middle Ages were "European", being outposts of a European ideological project that could only survive in the long-term with European / Western aid. (I think that would be a good historical analogy).

So...Australia is European? This is getting a bit silly you guys.
Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Glad you are so empathetic and self-critical and […]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]