Should Scotland be an Independant Nation? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Should Scotland be an Independant Nation?

Yes, Scotland should become a wholly Independant nation.
33%
Scotland should be allowed to devolve further, gaining more home control.
12%
No, Scotland should remain in the same status as it is right now, as a part of the UK.
20%
Scotland has too much autonomy from Westminster already.
18%
Other (please elaborate)
17%
By ingliz
Scotland should be allowed to devolve further, gaining more home control.
By hannigaholic
Other - whatever the poeple of Scotland want. If they want independance, let them have it. If they want to remain part of the UK, let them.

What's more important is that the constituent nations/countries/whatever the hell you want to call them should all have the same level of devolved powers if they want to be part of the UK.
By Mazhi
Other: If they want to be.

if they can manage to find enough revenue to not be relegated to "third world European" status, like Slovakia and the like.

Huh? If Slovakia is "third world European", then so are Portugal and Malta.
By Invictus_88
Whatever the Scots choose.

However it seems to me quite clear that they'll never choose to go it alone, and that if they ever did they'd be economically crippled inside of a decade and would have to re-join the rest of the UK.
By Fasces
Huh? If Slovakia is "third world European", then so are Portugal and Malta.

Yes.
By telluro
I don't look too favourably to separatists. I'd say no, but non-national matters that affect Scotland directly and don't affect the UK should be devolved as much as possible. This should apply to all regions anyhow.

Mazhi wrote:Huh? If Slovakia is "third world European", then so are Portugal and Malta.

Fasces wrote:Yes.

Confirmed.
Last edited by telluro on 14 Oct 2009 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
By Mazhi
Hmm. If there is such a thing as "third world Europe", I'd look for it in countries like Moldova and Albania.
By redcarpet
I think I'll endorse it now. Since the EU Lisbon treaty is now more likely to be implemented(pah). even just a social democratic Scotland outside the EU is better than a Thatcherite Scotland inside the EU.
By Figlio di Moros
Not without the rest of Britain.
By SomeRandom
They should go for independance if and when the Scottish population want it.
By ninurta
If they want to be than yeah. But then again I am all for states that want seccession, this shouldn't be suprising for those who know my politics.
By Abood
I don't see the point of Scottish nationalism. Can someone help me out here? I mean, why does Scotland need to be independent?
By Mazhi
Because they don't like the English?
By redcarpet
I don't see the point of Scottish nationalism. Can someone help me out here? I mean, why does Scotland need to be independent?

To give the English the two fingers ultimately. It wasn't exactly democratically done. The Scottish king at the time accepted the Act of Union of 1802 because Edinburgh was surrounded and faced the city being raised to the ground. So, to save himself and his city subjects.

There has only ever been a referendum on devolution in Scotland. The Scots have never been permitted a say on their position in the union.
By Foxwood
If Scotland wants independance sure whatever. Not sure it would benefit scottish people one bit though.
By LehmanB
No, Scotland should remain in the same status as it is right now, as a part of the UK.
I don't want GB to deteriorate from its international strong position.
By Onomautopia
I'm not content with the current situation, I would support either of the following:
Yes, Scotland should become a wholly Independant nation.

No, Scotland should remain in the same status as it is right now, as a part of the UK. ...and England should get its own parliament too.
By redcarpet
its international strong position

How does the UK have a "strong" international position?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://youtu.be/B8OL2t0-78I

@FiveofSwords " because of your race &qu[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 5, Friday Chamberlain: Hitler has missed […]

And the question you need to ask yourself, whos f[…]