Is the post-colonial discrimination... - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Is the post-colonial discrimination against whites in Africa justifiable?

Yes
7%
No
72%
Maybe
7%
Other
15%
By Dr House
:lol: What, you want me to look through the phonebook in a country of 50 million people, of whom only a tenth are white, for Spanish or Irish surnames?
By Stormsmith
Try Murphy first.
By Stormsmith
Just tried white pages, telephone directory, South Africa for Murphy. 407 entrants. Not too difficult nor time consuming.
By XAdamX
Le Rouge, where in the durty durty are you from? Try moving to a black majority city, go to black clubs, etc. and tell me if you don't gain a little sympathy for the whites in SA.

He's from Arkansas if I'm not mistaken. It's not that hard to find a town with a black majority in the Deep South so I'm sure he has experienced it.

I went to a black club and some patrons called me "whitey." I totally understand now, man. White Power! 14/88. :roll:
By Stormsmith
Aekos wrote:407 people does not a community make.

House said "There are no Spanish or Basque people in South Africa, and I don't think there are any Irishmen either."

He wasn't speaking of a community, full stop.

All that's required to defeat this argument is 1 and only 1 person. I found 407, all named MURPHY. If you search the Kellys, Byrnes, Smith, Ryans, etc and all the O'somethings, then you might find you've got yourself a community or two.
By Zyx
Kman wrote:Zyx your hypocrisy is mind blowing, you dont mind white people being beaten up by roaming gangs of black people, yet if gangs of white people went around beating up black people, then you would be incredibly angry and causing a huge stir im sure.

I never said this.

Ibid. wrote:So apparently in your world physical violence motivated by racism is ok, as long as its directed against white people.

Again, you are inferring things without any evidence.

Have you heard of Tookie Williams? He's the guy who 'created' the Crips and Blood gang. He eventually became a 'new man,' but they administered the lethal injection to him anyway, and I completely agreed. He was "Black."

The fact of the matter is that murder doesn't have a statute of limitation, so if some bugger was particularly loathesome twenty years ago, punishing them to day is fine by me.

This has nothing to do with Blacks and Whites.

As to South Africa, I just doubt it's happening. I'll generalize but Whites typically complain about not getting enough money despite getting paid. Admittedly, Blacks make the same complaint, but don't get paid either way. :lol:

What Whites call discrimination is either not living in a mansion or getting a rock throwned back at them.

Stormsmith wrote:Just tried white pages, telephone directory, South Africa for Murphy. 407 entrants. Not too difficult nor time consuming.

It's always fine to see Dr House shut up. He just doesn't. :|
By Figlio di Moros
XAdamX wrote:He's from Arkansas if I'm not mistaken. It's not that hard to find a town with a black majority in the Deep South so I'm sure he has experienced it.

:lol: There's a difference between living twenty minutes from a black town or a majorly black city, and living in a black city or being surrounded by blacks 24/7, like in SA. Aside from strawmen such as "Oh noez, dey called me cracka, white powr, lulz!!!", the fact remains that blacks are far more likely to commit a hate crime against whites than vice versa, despite being a small minority in America; the simple fact is that whites are treated harsher in Black neighborhoods than vice versa, and that to excuse blantant, even violent, discrimination against whites on apartheid when it was ended a generation ago is simply assinine.
By XAdamX
There's a difference between living twenty minutes from a black town or a majorly black city, and living in a black city or being surrounded by blacks 24/7, like in SA. Aside from strawmen such as "Oh noez, dey called me cracka, white powr, lulz!!!"

The strawman label can't be thrown around here seeing as how you brought up Le Rouge living in a majority black area (assuming you are talking about this country) that wasn't in South Africa. It also shows you have minimal understanding of South Africa if you think living there implies you are surrounded by blacks 24/7. Towns such as Springbok in the northwest have minority black populations and you'd be lucky to come across one. Other areas have a majority coloured population (unless you equate all brown people as the same).

the fact remains that blacks are far more likely to commit a hate crime against whites than vice versa, despite being a small minority in America; the simple fact is that whites are treated harsher in Black neighborhoods than vice versa, and that to excuse blantant, even violent, discrimination against whites on apartheid when it was ended a generation ago is simply assinine.

At risk of being labeled a "strawman" again I find it odd someone with an avatar from The Godfather would speak this way about crime. Is crime only cool when it's glorified in the movies? When it's organized? What percentage of black on white crimes do you think are actually racially motivated? Point out exactly where I defended discrimination of any kind. I don't recall ever doing so. Use spell check.
By Figlio di Moros
XAdamX wrote:The strawman label can't be thrown around here seeing as how you brought up Le Rouge living in a majority black area (assuming you are talking about this country) that wasn't in South Africa. It also shows you have minimal understanding of South Africa if you think living there implies you are surrounded by blacks 24/7. Towns such as Springbok in the northwest have minority black populations and you'd be lucky to come across one. Other areas have a majority coloured population (unless you equate all brown people as the same).

Seeing how Le Rouge lives in America, not South Africa, establishing a parallel is applicable in this instace; whether or not whites are the minority of every neighborhood in SA isn't at question, but the fact random acts of violence are being perpetrated against whites for the sole reason of their race is happening there. My point was that Le Rouge might think differently about excusing this discrimination if he was actually a victim of it, or even similar discrimination in America.

Adam_X wrote:At risk of being labeled a "strawman" again I find it odd someone with an avatar from The Godfather would speak this way about crime.

Considering I was speaking on hate crime, not on crime syndicates or those laws they break, I'd say it's still somewhat irrelevant; besides, Don Corleone is an archetype of an intelligent, principled leader and a family man, irregardless if his particular trade happened to be criminal in the movies.

Adam_X wrote:Point out exactly where I defended discrimination of any kind. I don't recall ever doing so. Use spell check.

If we're gonna play semantics, point out exactly where I accused you of defending discrimination. Grammar Nazis suck and are irrelevent, btw.
By XAdamX
Seeing how Le Rouge lives in America, not South Africa, establishing a parallel is applicable in this instace; whether or not whites are the minority of every neighborhood in SA isn't at question, but the fact random acts of violence are being perpetrated against whites for the sole reason of their race is happening there. My point was that Le Rouge might think differently about excusing this discrimination if he was actually a victim of it, or even similar discrimination in America.

I understand the parallel and I'm not arguing that. Of course someone's opinion can be altered by a bad experience but most have enough sense not to stereotype an entire group from one experience. I never felt this discrimination the entire time I lived there. What percentage of black Africans in South Africa do you think actually hate whites? How about the blacks in our country? I'd say it's the minority not majority. The same goes for whites.

Considering I was speaking on hate crime, not on crime syndicates or those laws they break, I'd say it's still somewhat irrelevant; besides, Don Corleone is an archetype of an intelligent, principled leader and a family man, irregardless if his particular trade happened to be criminal in the movies.

Crime is crime. Besides, only a small percentage of black on white crimes are hate crimes. In the crimes you alluded to I don't think the criminal gives a shit what color your skin is but rather what color the bills in your wallet are. I also don't think Don Corleone exemplified all of those characteristics but I do think that Francis Ford Coppola did a hell of job portraying it as such. That's what made that particular film stand out from the rest of its kin.

If we're gonna play semantics, point out exactly where I accused you of defending discrimination. Grammar Nazis suck and are irrelevent, btw.

You quoted me and said. "and that to excuse blantant [sic], even violent, discrimination against whites on apartheid when it was ended a generation ago is simply assinine [sic]." Unless you were referring to Le Rouge, you quoted me so you can understand my confusion. Grammar Nazis suck but real ones are okay. ;)

Anyways I'll let Le Rouge defend his words. It's not my battle. I'm going to attempt to throw a ball into a hoop with some black guys. Hopefully I won't become a victim of a hate crime and start thinking differently about discrimination in South Africa. Have a good day.
By Figlio di Moros
XAdamX wrote:I understand the parallel and I'm not arguing that. Of course someone's opinion can be altered by a bad experience but most have enough sense not to stereotype an entire group from one experience. I never felt this discrimination the entire time I lived there. What percentage of black Africans in South Africa do you think actually hate whites? How about the blacks in our country? I'd say it's the minority not majority. The same goes for whites.

In otherwords, you never felt discrimination, so it doesn't exist? Imagine if we applied this same logic to discrimination against blacks; the simple facts at hand are that hate crimes are commited against whites, and that it's particularly institutionalized in SA, which Le Rouge has made clear his intention to excuse it. whether than asking "how many blacks hate whites", the real question at hand is whether or not you intend to excuse the fore-mentioned discrimination within SA.

XAdamX wrote:Crime is crime.

Except when it's irrelevant. Again, we're not discussing crime syndicates, but discrimination; hate crimes are relevant to a discussion about discrimination, Don Corleone's rap sheet isn't.

XAdamX wrote:You quoted me and said. "and that to excuse blantant [sic], even violent, discrimination against whites on apartheid when it was ended a generation ago is simply assinine [sic]." Unless you were referring to Le Rouge, you quoted me so you can understand my confusion.

And you had quoted me quoting Le Rouge, inserting yourselve on the side of a man who, as I stated, excused blatant, even violent, discrimination against whites. And pointing out spelling errors is asinine, especially for someone who fancies themselves a grammar-nazi, and even more so when they have a tendency to avoid commas and semicolons.
By FuzoPatriota
No. It's mere revenge for the apartheid and revenge tends to lead to a vicious circle of revenge and as a result the same problems associated with race will persist. Hundreds of Portuguese expats have been murdered in South Africa since the end of apartheid and most of those who were murdered were white and of these a number were the victims of racist murders.

The best person should have the job. Jobs should merely be given on merit and never in the basis of race even if this means an all-white rugby team or an all-black football team or an all-cape coloured cabinet.
By redcarpet
dissociation from distant tragedies being key to staying emotionally healthy

If that's true why do you have a Crusader knight as your Avatar? Or do you consider the Crusades a positive event in human history?
By Dave
Of course I consider the Crusades to have been a positive event. Why would you expect otherwise? :eh:
By redcarpet
Of course I consider the Crusades to have been a positive event. Why would you expect otherwise

I wasn't aware you were religious. Nor that you had a favourable view of the Crusades. If you've posted about them before somewhere I haven't seen it. Do you want to elaborate so I understand clearly why?
By Dave
The Crusades marked the great turning point in medieval history. At that point we ceased be on the run from an enemy civilization and took the fight to them. We conquered the Holy Land and ruled it for many years, and the fighting orders formed to defend the faith were incorporated on the basis of the highest ideals.
By redcarpet
At that point we ceased be on the run from an enemy civilization and took the fight to them.

Europeans still fought amongst each other often, etc, though

We conquered the Holy Land and ruled it for many years

Why was that good, Dave?

on the basis of the highest ideals

Is that a joke? Do you know how indiscriminately savage the Crusader knights were?
By Dave
redcarpet wrote:Europeans still fought amongst each other often, etc, though

Your point?

redcarpet wrote:Why was that good, Dave?

Conquest is the highest aspiration of all peoples, and conquest of distant lands particularly appeals to the adventurer spirit inherent in Europeans. The Holy Land was further central to the spiritual identity of our civilization, making its capture a tremendous accomplishment for all Christendom.

redcarpet wrote:Is that a joke? Do you know how indiscriminately savage the Crusader knights were?

Again, your point? Savagery is inherent to war, and though the ideals of chivalry sought to restrict it when fighting fellow Christians these rules did not apply to heathens. Military orders blended martial prowess with religious devotion and served as a focal point for holy war, the greatest calling there is.

@JohnRawls Former President Trump is the wors[…]

According to the IHRA source posted above, claimi[…]

Is that true? The concept of race, and racial[…]

1. It is not clear that settler colonialism is th[…]