How do you feel about the United States? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

How do you feel about the United States?

Positive
38%
Neutral
20%
Negative
38%
Other
5%
By Shadow Dragon
I think the US as a whole is a pretty good country. Has it made some mistakes? Sure, but so has every nation that's been around for a few centuries or more.
By Godstud
Neutral
I'm not fond of the government but the people are pretty friendly, at least in my experience.

Aekos you got the ranking wrong. Canada is #1 followed by everyone else.
:D (I think most people would rank their home country tops.)
By Kman
Im a big fan of the US constitution and the principles that the US is founded on, the current political leadership is horrible though.
Last edited by Kman on 04 Nov 2009 19:01, edited 2 times in total.
By Nets
Godstud wrote:Aekos you got the ranking wrong. Canada is #1 followed by everyone else.

The ranking is only for actual, you know, countries. :roll:

Anyways, positive view of America -- I cannot thank this country enough.
By Godstud
Nets wrote:The ranking is only for actual, you know, countries. :roll:

Thanks for reminding me about American ignorance/arrogance, Nets. I'll change my opinion to Negative.
Last edited by Godstud on 04 Nov 2009 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
By Bella
Positive

I may be biased because I live here but yeah best country ever/

Are we going to have this poll for every country now? Which country is next? :p
By Dr House
Neutral.

Like their people (rednecks aside). Dislike their policy.
By The Clockwork Rat
On average, Negative. However, I'm going on holiday to the US next year for a month, so I'll see if my opinion changes much.

I don't think "my" country is the "best" by a long way. I think both the UK and the US have pretty screwed up political systems. I also don't think the people in either country are willing to seriously think about what is seriously wrong with either country. This leaves us with fools leading the blind.
By Huntster
On average, Negative. However, I'm going on holiday to the US next year for a month

I find that interesting. Why would you go "on holiday" to a country which you have a negative opinion about?
By Aekos
I think both the UK and the US have pretty screwed up political systems.

The US Constitution is the base for most modern democracies. Wtf are you talking about?
By Dr House
Aekos wrote:The US Constitution is the base for most modern democracies.

Ergo, it is screwed up.
By The Clockwork Rat
I find that interesting. Why would you go "on holiday" to a country which you have a negative opinion about?

One of my best friends lives there. There's a lot I don't like about it but I'm not immediately prejudiced against all of the individual people.

The US Constitution is the base for most modern democracies. Wtf are you talking about?

I find the Universal Declaration of Human Rights a far better base for rule.
By Kman
Ergo, it is screwed up.

I think you will find that democracy despite its flaws is still the best system their is, I know you have said that you would like a dictatorship but the problem with dictatorships is that its not a self regulating system, if a democracy gets a horrible leader that ruins the country then he gets voted out, if a dictatorship gets an incompetant dictator then your stuck with him for 60-70 years potentially.
By The Clockwork Rat
I think you will find that democracy despite its flaws is still the best system their is, I know you have said that you would like a dictatorship but the problem with dictatorships is that its not a self regulating system, if a democracy gets a horrible leader that ruins the country then he gets voted out, if a dictatorship gets an incompetant dictator then your stuck with him for 60-70 years potentially.

Hence, the people should rule the state together...
Last edited by The Clockwork Rat on 04 Nov 2009 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
By HoniSoit
Other.

I don't know. I need to spend some time living in the US before having a good grasp of the country.
By Doomhammer
Positive

I'll quote Adnan Menderes, who was Turkey's PM during the 1950's:

Whatever America does is right by us

I agree. We all owe much to America - I don't see any need in elaborating.

I find the Universal Declaration of Human Rights a far better base for rule.

Aekos is right. You may find it better but you should remember that the UDHR draws its essence from the developments that began with the Virginia Declaration of 1776. It set a precedent for all subsequent moves that took place in Europe, and elsewhere, to improve human rights and promote democracy (notable example: The French Declaration was inspired by the Virginia Declaration... and we all know what happened after that).

For the record, the European Convention on Human Rights is an equally impressive document.

Not so long ago., if a person was to be conside[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Seems like there's a lot of cursing of Ukraine's 1[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

We were once wild before wheat and other grains do[…]