How do you feel about the United States? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

How do you feel about the United States?

Positive
38%
Neutral
20%
Negative
38%
Other
5%
By W01f
Currently negative, but that's not to say I'm anti-American. America does some things great, but it does too many things knowingly wrong at the same time. It's an irresponsible world power. I would say America is a great country, one of the best in the world in fact, if you live there and have a decent income, but otherwise I can definitely understand why anti-American sentiment is so widespread throughout the world.
By ingliz
Negative
By Cartertonian
I've said this before, but it bears repeating:

America is like the teenage son of elderly parents (let’s say Britain and Germany, as the leading contributors) whose child was carried by a Latin American surrogate mother. As such, he is bigger than us and stronger than us, but lacks our wisdom and experience. He is hot-headed, volatile and prone to outbursts of violence. Like any teenager, he is convinced of his infallibility, omniscience and immortality and is therefore frequently less than receptive to gentle, supportive words of advice from older generations.

Nevertheless, he is our son and all we can do is support him where we can as he learns from his mistakes and turn a blind eye to his belligerence and crass, egocentric behaviour, in the hope that soon he will mature into manhood, begin to grow in wisdom and put those tearaway teenage days behind him.
By Foxwood
Neutral.

The USA are both the best and worst country in the world. Very difficult to form a general opinion.
By SomeRandom
Because this forum is full of Americans. :lol:

Negative - of course there are many redeeming features, and I wouldn't bank on China or Russia being a better superpower, but at the moment the negatives far outweigh the positives.
By Doomhammer
America is like the teenage son of elderly parents (let’s say Britain and Germany, as the leading contributors) whose child was carried by a Latin American surrogate mother. As such, he is bigger than us and stronger than us, but lacks our wisdom and experience. He is hot-headed, volatile and prone to outbursts of violence. Like any teenager, he is convinced of his infallibility, omniscience and immortality and is therefore frequently less than receptive to gentle, supportive words of advice from older generations.

Nevertheless, he is our son and all we can do is support him where we can as he learns from his mistakes and turn a blind eye to his belligerence and crass, egocentric behaviour, in the hope that soon he will mature into manhood, begin to grow in wisdom and put those tearaway teenage days behind him.

You are arguing that America lacks the prudence, maturity and refinement of its "responsible" parents: Europe?

I disagree. America has carried the onus of European economic recovery and security, all the while being active in every corner of the world. Despite the end of the Cold War (and Europe attaining some measure of security and independence), I still don't Europe or EU attempting to develop their own security arrangements - but rather continue to employ various tactics to suck up to America. Moreover, despite being a global power economically and militarily (the defense budgets of the big 3 in EU is higher than that of Russia), I don't see Europe lifting a finger to tackle issues which their politicians claim is vital to European interests (these being Russia, nuclear Iran and the Arab-Israeli conflict).

The point I'm getting at is that Europeans may be critical of US (seeing it as a brash teenager, as you put it), Europeans not only are dependent on US, but US is carrying the entire burden of the globe. I see no future for the Transatlantic Alliance unless Europe starts to act more cohesively and assumes the responsibility it should - this can be accomplished by more cohesion in Europe and tangible support to US endeavors to solve problems.

Because right now, Europe is a wealthy but lazy bum and America is the benevolent landlord who isn't charging rent.
By hannigaholic
Overall quite positive. I've never met an American I didn't like on a personal level (no I've not met all that many, but they were all quite nice) and I don't think much would need to change in America to make it awesome.
By Figlio di Moros
cartertonian wrote:America is like the teenage son of elderly parents (let’s say Britain and Germany, as the leading contributors) whose child was carried by a Latin American surrogate mother.

Uh... you mean the troubled little sister, or maybe cousin, right? Since, you know, the first Latin-American nation didn't recieve their soveirgnty until about 1820, and we've been protecting them from the European powers since.
By Doomhammer
The US is not Atlas and this burden that you perceive is smaller than you imagine

Nope.

and one of their own creation.

Yes. Someone has to take responsibility. Would you rather the Red Army had marched on to the Atlantic?
By stalker
Overall positive I think.
By Potemkin
Would you rather the Red Army had marched on to the Atlantic?

Actually, yes. :hmm:
By Godstud
Yes. I guess the US does help a lot of countries. Like this for instance...

:D
By Godstud
I do have to say, as far as neighbours go, we could have worse ones than the US. So that's something positive.
By El Gilroy
Negative.

It has a tremendously bad influence on civilisation as a whole. And on the vast majority of individuals, too.
By Stormsmith
Godstud wrote:I do have to say, as far as neighbours go, we could have worse ones than the US. So that's something positive.

how amusing! I was just mulling over page 1, and decided that you have to take the bad with the good, and reminded myself we could be living next to North Korea etc

Great minds and all that :)

The bill is problematic. I find it unbelievable […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

People who are mad at Nuland will have various ag[…]

BRICS will fail

Rupees or dollars or euros. BRICS is kind of a jo[…]

No one wins.