Is it good that Bill Gates controls 58 billion dollars? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Is it a good thing that Bill Gates controls all that capital?

Yes, it's a good thing for everyone
27%
No, it would be better if that money was in more hands
42%
Other
30%
Bill Gates - one of the world's richest people - controls assets of about 68 billion dollars. This is a lot of capital, and places Bill Gates in a position to exercise a great deal of influence over the affairs of other people.

---

Is this an ideal situation? Or would it be a lot better if that fortune was distributed among the population?

Is it a good thing that Bill Gates controls all that money? Is it for the best that such a wise man controls so much of the earth's resources?

Or would it be better if all that capital was in more hands? Would it be better if all that power was deconcentrated?
By Rancid
Other, it's neither good or bad
By Dan
Other.

It is good that a man has the economic freedom to own that much. Whether Bill Gates as an individual does or does not have that much money is irrelevant.

Is it for the best that such a wise man controls so much of the earth's resources?

$58 Billion/$65 trillion = 0.09%

He doesn't own all that much of the world's wealth. He owns less about .09% of the world's wealth.
By Abood
One man owning 0.09% is quite a lot, considering there are 6 billion people.
By NYYS
Bill Gates gives a lot to charity, and it's likely that if that money was distributed among the population it a) wouldn't make a difference and b) wouldn't be given to charity and targeted at those who need it.

I vote good for this specific case, although in a general sense it's pretty much neutral.
By Rancid
One man owning 0.09% is quite a lot, considering there are 6 billion people.

Boo HOo cry cry
By Abood
Why would I cry, RWR? I was simply stating that even though 0.09% does not seem like a lot, it sure is when we take into account that there are 6 billion people on this planet.
By Rancid
Why would I cry, RWR? I was simply stating that even though 0.09% does not seem like a lot, it sure is when we take into account that there are 6 billion people on this planet.

dunno, i'm just being a dick.
By Nets
So basically, Qatz is jealous of Bill Gates.

Anyways, him having it doesn't bother me, I think he earned it. Office 2007 is a godsend and Bill Gates does a lot good work. He's giving away a big chunk the wealth anyway to a lot of good causes, so :up: .

He actually came to speak at my school cause he donated a big ass building on campus, unfortunately I had to miss it.

I think it should also be noted that most of his wealth is tied up in stock and the like, its not like he's hoarding land or something of that sort, he's enjoying capital he pretty much created along with others through Microsoft. Microsoft has undeniably in my view made life easier and better, so I have no problem with this. Those fuckers at Apple on the other hand....

I voted other; I don't think its a bad thing, but it certainly isn't good for everyone -- that would be if I had $58 bn.
Last edited by Nets on 23 Mar 2008 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
By jaakko
It would be better if the money was in more hands, but even more better if it was in my hands. Should I vote the second or the third option?
By QatzelOk
So basically, Qatz is jealous of Bill Gates.

Of course.

Why else would someone start a thread about power concentrations if he wasn't green with jealousy? I mean, everyone on TV and in movies wants to be rich like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.

Or maybe I am trying to see what the people on the board think of extreme power concentrations.

Iran can't have a nuke, but Bill Gates gets billions of dollars to screw around with.

Nets, is the US jealous of Iran?
By Dr House
Yeah, it would be an awesome idea to take all the money Mr. Gates rightfully made from providing us with the ability to communicate with each other and give it to poor people.

Unless of course that only amounted to ten bucks per person. :roll:

You never cease to amuse me, Qatz.
By Abood
Mr. Gates rightfully made from providing us with the ability to communicate with each other
Bill Gates didn't invent the internet. It was Al Gore.
By ThereBeDragons
Unless of course that only amounted to ten bucks per person.

That's water for some, food for others.
By Dr House
That's water for some, food for others.

...once, never to be repeated again. Unless of course we have Bill Gates keep working and taking all his earnings for the common good.

That's why I think economic growth is a better alternative to redistribution.
By Mazhi
A more important question: If Bill Gates hadn't taken that LSD in his youth, would he be where he is now?
By Dr House
I've no idea, but whatever got him there we should be thankful for it, because we are communicating right now thanks to him.

The pro-genocide crowd are the counter protester[…]

https://i.ibb.co/Bs37t8b/canvas-moral[…]

I was being sarcastic, @FiveofSwords . Hitler wa[…]

Well that seems like a stupid strategy. If I were[…]