North Korea as an enemy is a sham - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By sokath
Comrade Smith wrote:the real threat N. Korea.

North Korea is not a real threat. Here's why:

In 1999 (I think) Clinton signed a deal with N. Korea stating that the United States would provide food and money to the North Koreans, in return N.K. would desist all attempts at develloping a nuclear programme. When Bush came into office, his administration did not approve and renegged on the deal. In return, North Korea ALSO renegged on their end of the bargain.

In effect, their current nuclear program is only a bargaining tool. North Korea's on the brink, they don't have enough money to mount any attack against anyone. In addition to which, North Korea has a powerful ally: China. China is rapidly turning into one of the biggest players on the world stage, and a war with them would be devasting for the US as well as the rest of the world. There's no way that the US could feasably attack; It's all being blown horribly out of proportion because N.Korea was in the axis of evil.

Even that's a fluke. Think about it. Iraq is a threat, but not so much, the US just wants their oil... Iran: more of a threat than the Iraq, they have money, dislike the US, and have a developed (albeit "civilian only") nuclear programme... N.Korea: barely has a weapons program, is not a real threat, communism has not been a problem since the fall of the Berlin Wall.. then why put them on the axis of evil... think about it, any number of other countries are bigger threats to the US, most notably any of the rich Arab states with populations who aren't too supportive of the US in their area... but if they had another arab state on the list they'd just look like a) they were picking on the Arabs, (yes, I know Iranians are persians) or b) that they just had purely oil-related interests... so they needed another country.. so they just picked the next most likely (but in truth, unlikely country) a country which was causing problems for them by reneggin on their end of the nuclear deal, and a communist country (which everybody still hates), and a country that nobody actually knows what's going on inside: that country Korea.

Korea's not a threat, if the US would just give them their food and money, then they'd once again cease to be an entity on the world stage.

Cheers,

S./
By Seamus Warren
sokath wrote:
Comrade Smith wrote:the real threat N. Korea.

In 1999 (I think) Clinton signed a deal with N. Korea stating that the United States would provide food and money to the North Koreans, in return N.K. would desist all attempts at develloping a nuclear programme.
That is blackmail. Why should America submit to blackmail to support a failed Communist state?

In effect, their current nuclear program is only a bargaining tool.
A blackmail tool.

North Korea's on the brink, they don't have enough money to mount any attack against anyone.
Why is North Korea on the brink?

In addition to which, North Korea has a powerful ally: China. China is rapidly turning into one of the biggest players on the world stage, and a war with them would be devasting for the US as well as the rest of the world.
Yes, and "the rest of the world" includes China which means thay are not such a threat.

There's no way that the US could feasably attack; It's all being blown horribly out of proportion because N.Korea was in the axis of evil.
If North Korea started a war the US would finish it. Is North Korea's failure the fault of America?

Korea's not a threat, if the US would just give them their food and money, then they'd once again cease to be an entity on the world stage.
Why should a Capitalist society support a Communist state?
Last edited by Seamus Warren on 20 Mar 2003 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
By Deicidus
Why should America support North korea ?
1: These imperialist fucks can afford it
2: That's a humane thing to do
3: What, because N-K didnt realized communism goals their population should die for it. The money is not for suporting their Stalinian Regime, it's to feed the millions of N-Koreans starving to death

Instead of fighting the Koreans again, the americans just sit on their ass waithing for them to die.

Seamus Warren, just a question like another, do you support American actions in the world.
By KurtFF8
Deicidus wrote:Why should America support North korea ?
3: What, because N-K didnt realized communism goals their population should die for it. The money is not for suporting their Stalinian Regime, it's to feed the millions of N-Koreans starving to death

Instead of fighting the Koreans again, the americans just sit on their ass waithing for them to die.

Seamus Warren, just a question like another, do you support American actions in the world.

omg theres no way you can blame the US for the north korean government starving its people

plus we had a deal with them, they broke their end of the deal and wouldnt stick to it,so we are not gonna stick to ours, why should we?
By Sapper
North Korea is indeed a threat. After our missile shield is established, they won't be however.
By Seamus Warren
Well, I applaud the Bush adminstration's resistance to blackmail. Because that is what it is. Plain and simple blackmail. I just hope the Yanks hold out.

Eventually North Korea will crumble (just like the USSR I suppose) thanks to it's own mismanagement. If America keeps propping up Kim Jong Il it will only prolong the sufferent North Korean people. So the humanitarian argument goes both ways.

Are the two Koreas not a wonderful demonstration of the two sytems of Communism and Capitalism running side by side? It is almost like an experiment in two political systems.

I think a human solution would be a bullet in Kim Jong Il's head. If his personality cult was eliminated we might see the emergence of a North Korean Gorbachev (sp?).
Last edited by Seamus Warren on 20 Mar 2003 03:06, edited 1 time in total.
By Seamus Warren
Deicidus wrote:Seamus Warren, just a question like another, do you support American actions in the world.
The question is rather broad Deicidus and it is not on the topic of this thread. This thread champions the blackmail of the United States by North Korea and I replied with my strong opposition to that view.

Back to your question: I don't think any state or religion can claim to have done no wrong could they?

One thing I do know is that I'd rather see a democratically accountable "Western" government in control of such unprecedented power.

Some of my feelings re. the US are expressed in this extract:
The United States gave the world the League of Nations and the United Nations. It is an enlightened and civilised democracy that generally tries to behave responsibly, with as much success in this regard as any other important country. It certainly has no lessons to learn on state morality from the Germans and the French.

More powerful than its mass culture is America’s concept of individualism and freedom.
Last edited by Seamus Warren on 20 Mar 2003 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
By Generalissimo Talonius
Why should America support North korea ?

Why should America be supporting ANY country, let alone a regime that so obviously hates us and is trying to blackmail us. It won't work. American money should be used to make life better for Americans, and not to support another country. I think if the gov't is eliminated, that we should help a little, but never as long as the Little Gnome is still in power. Kim Jong Il has a bunch of cash : he should give that to his people. And what about all the money poured into the N.Korean military ? Why is that money not given to the people ?

It is not America's job to feed the world, and it is certainly not our job to support a crappy regime like that in place in North Korea.
By Deicidus
What the fuck you talking about. The thing is not who is to blame for it, the question is what the fuck will you do about it. When you live in confort theres no way that you could understand or judge this. N-K used all their money into military shit. I dont really support this as their is no direct enemy and they have other internal problems to take care of. Of course the North Korean regime will collapse, and like in all other countries where something simmilar happened, we all know who dropped in and picked up the scraps for their own pocket.

As for the Missile shield, the russians of the old U.S.S.R. had already predicted this. The plans nicknamed ``Lemmings`` is already proven by most of the experts that evaluated it that if it was in motion, the effect of your so called shield would be useless. This missle shield will only create another nuclear weapon race.
What the fuck you talking about. The thing is not who is to blame for it, the question is what the fuck will you do about it

It is not our job to fix other countries problems : that's up to each individual country. The only time America should ever intervene is when her interests are at stake, which it is in N.Korea. Humanitarian work should not be our duty : America should start putting Americans first, not foreigners.
By sokath
Sapper46123 wrote:North Korea is indeed a threat. After our missile shield is established, they won't be however.

That was the most well thought out and supported post ever. Thank you for wasting my time. Why don't you think for yourself instead of regurgitating what you're told?

S./
Last edited by sokath on 20 Mar 2003 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
By CasX
Yes, the great achievement that is the Maginot Line...er...I mean Missile Defence System, will protect all Americans for a safe, secure future!
You guys sure are quick to criticize something that hasn't even been fully tested yet ... give it a chance before snap judgements.

My Missile Defense System : a nuke right onto Pyongyang :muha1: :muha1: :muha1:
By Seamus Warren
Kim Jong Il's North Korea is simply trying to blackmail the Yanks.

All the anti-Americanism does not somehow cleanse North Korea.
By sokath
Except it's not really blackmail. The deal was conceived of and offered to the Koreans by the US. Then, the US backed out on their end of a contract, therefore, so did the Koreans.

S./
World War II Day by Day

May 23, Thursday Fascists detained under defense[…]

Taiwan-China crysis.

War or no war? China holds military drills around[…]

Waiting for Starmer

@JohnRawls I think the smaller parties will d[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Moscow expansion drives former so called Warsaw (i[…]